How COVID-19 is affecting society

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I don't really know how to explain this farce.

The House of Commons has, during the lockdown, remained in session and voted remotely.

The Government seeks to end this, and return to in-person voting, despite the risks of making MPs travel up and down the country, between their homes and Westminster, and despite the fact that it would make it impossible for some MPs who are particularly vulnerable themselves to Covid-19 (heart disease, for example) or are carers for a vulnerable partner, to attend and vote.

There's also the argument that it's impossible to maintain social distancing and vote by passing through the lobbies in the traditional manner.

The Government disagrees, and the matter is being put to the test as MPs vote on the motion.

This is not The Onion.

I despair for my country, I really do. It's getting like that comic opera Ruritanian kingdom in The Witcher, which protects itself from invasion by being too much of a joke to be worth worrying about, and the queen enjoys a special relationship with the emperor (she's his aunt), and she sends him stern letters, which he ignores, just as he ignores her because her little country isn't worth bothering about and it's a nice place to visit.

Last edited:

Arkady Arkright

It's all to do with Rees-Mogg (The 'Leader of the House') making sure that Boris Johnson has his pack of baying hounds behind him at Prime Minister's Questions, after the dreadful performance Boris put up when they weren't there. I don't suppose either is too worried about a few MP's poppi ng their clogs because of it, they've got a big enough majority that they can afford to lose a few.

Or am I being unduly cynical yet again ?

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
It's all to do with Rees-Mogg (The 'Leader of the House') making sure that Boris Johnson has his pack of baying hounds behind him at Prime Minister's Questions, after the dreadful performance Boris put up when they weren't there. I don't suppose either is too worried about a few MP's poppi ng their clogs because of it, they've got a big enough majority that they can afford to lose a few.

Or am I being unduly cynical yet again ?
I know some of the various tactical and strategic reasons that are said to be behind it, but when it comes to explaining to an international audience how you get from that to the spectacle of the 45 minute conga line snaking outside Parliament as socially-distancing MPs line up to vote, and how they'll be doing this several times a day from now on until sanity prevails....

Other than to say I hope we have the wettest June since records began, words fail me.

ETA, Come to think of it, as I understand it, the new social distancing rules mean that there will only be 50 MPs or so allowed in the chamber at any one time, so I don't think the braying pack of MPs behind him is going to work too well.

It's not going to be like the scenes we were used to with Corbyn, with the Tory benches packed behind the PM.

Last edited:
  • 1Facepalm
Reactions: Govi

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Serious question - why do you think Rees-Mogg has been so insistent on them returning ?
Most likely explanation, I think, is a combination of trying to move the story on from Dominic Cummings, to try to prepare for the idea we should be getting back to work, and to try to sideline parliament by making it more difficult for members to attend and vote.

I see it as being of a piece with the unlawful prorogation of Parliament last year -- Johnson and Rees-Mogg regard parliament as a nuisance, and Cummings has nothing but contempt for MPs in general, so try to do without them as much as possible.

ETA: I see that Johnson has been forced backtrack on what Rees-Mogg said yesterday, and will now allow proxy voting by members who are shielding, for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
By the end of June I'm going about my business as usual done with this.
Well, looks like your 69 buddy blew that happening out of the water. Do you really think there would be as many people out spreading the virus now if he had not fucked up on Monday?

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts

The House of Commons has, during the lockdown, remained in session and voted remotely.

The Government seeks to end this, and return to in-person voting, despite the risks of making MPs travel up and down the country, between their homes and Westminster, and despite the fact that it would make it impossible for some MPs who are particularly vulnerable themselves to Covid-19 (heart disease, for example) or are carers for a vulnerable partner, to attend and vote.

There's also the argument that it's impossible to maintain social distancing and vote by passing through the lobbies in the traditional manner.

The Government disagrees, and the matter is being put to the test as MPs vote on the motion.

This is not The Onion.

I despair for my country, I really do. It's getting like that comic opera Ruritanian kingdom in The Witcher, which protects itself from invasion by being too much of a joke to be worth worrying about, and the queen enjoys a special relationship with the emperor (she's his aunt), and she sends him stern letters, which he ignores, just as he ignores her because her little country isn't worth bothering about and it's a nice place to visit.
Survey says!

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

(I'm not sure I like the term "profiteering" in the graphic -- the reason their wealth has increased is that investors have bought stocks in their companies, presumably because investors not unreasonably think that Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft and other similar businesses are, because of the pandemic, particularly attractive investments right now rather than because of any particular profiteering or price-gouging by these companies -- but it really is a different world for the super-rich).

Last edited:
  • 1Agree
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi and Free

Free

10K under the hat
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
It's amazing we haven't killed off a third of us by now.

Back in April, the agency noted an unusual spike in poison control center calls over harmful exposures to household cleaning products, such as bleach. The timing linked it to the spread of the pandemic coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2 (not statements by President Trump). But to get a clearer idea of what was behind the rise, CDC researchers set up an online survey of household cleaning and disinfection knowledge and practices.

In all, they surveyed 502 US adults and used statistical weighting to make it representative of the country’s population. The findings—published Friday in the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report—are stunning.

Overall, 60 percent said they were doing more cleaning and disinfecting amid the pandemic and 39 percent admitted to doing at least one non-recommended cleaning practice the CDC considers high risk.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts