How COVID-19 is affecting society

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

• 1Scared
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield

Arkady Arkright

As in, "We're going to track & trace by an app which saves a load of personal data about you and your movements and contacts, with no accompanying privacy legislation, which we'll keep for 20 years. We've chosen to write our own app instead of using existing ones which don't do this for, erm, reasons..."

Jopsy Pendragon

If you can't dazzle'm with dexterity...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Jopsy Pendragon

SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Among the many ways the pandemic/Trump has affected me: It has taken a while, but I have finally completed totally flipping my night and day. Bedtime is now 6am.
That's my default! "Delayed Circadian Rhythm" I've heard it called. I just call it my 'vampire gene'. It takes a huge amount of effort to shift my sleep schedule away from a dawn-to-noon sleep pattern. :)

• 1Like
Reactions: Pamela

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Do you know who else only had one testicle?

My brother had this and spent a night in the hospital to correct it when I was very young. For some reason, not sure how this formed in my toddler brain (maybe I heard my other brothers joking around) I thought he had three testicles and had to have one “amputated”. Years later as an young adult, during a family gathering, I said something like, “Yes, it’s like the time you had to have your 3rd testicle chopped off.”

Him: “WTF?”

For years I had told all my friends about my 3-testicled brother. 🥦

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
That's my default! "Delayed Circadian Rhythm" I've heard it called. I just call it my 'vampire gene'. It takes a huge amount of effort to shift my sleep schedule away from a dawn-to-noon sleep pattern. :)
If I was living alone, that would be me, too. Many many (many) years ago, when I took three months off from work to write a book, I very quickly cycled to staying up all night writing; it was quiet, fewer distractions and I've always been a night owl anyway. I'd stop around 6am, run a few errands during the morning or early afternoon, then sleep until the evening. Rinse & repeat until I got the damn manuscript finished.

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Among the many ways the pandemic/Trump has affected me: It has taken a while, but I have finally completed totally flipping my night and day. Bedtime is now 6am.
I used to work graveyard shift from 11:00 PM until 9:00 AM and I loved it. I was the healthiest that I have ever been in my life. I'd work at night (wrote weather predictive computer models for environmental control software) and was WAY more productive than I am during the day. When I got off, I'd run a few errands and then hop into bed and sleep like a log. I'd get up around 4:00 PM and have dinner with friends and family, watch some TV and then off to work again. If I had to work weekends, I'd get home in time to have a big breakfast with family or friends. It was awesome.

What really messed me up and I absolutely hated was "swing shift". From 4:00 in the afternoon until 11:00 at night. Ugh! I just could not adjust and I was a complete zombie. It messed up my circadian rhythms, my eating habits and I got to spend less time with my family. Day shift is ok but as I prepare to retire and during the furloughs I had, I [am becoming] more and more a of a night owl. 🦉 The night owl thing runs in my family. My youngest brother, my mother, my grandmother, my auntie and my great grandmother were all on the same rhythms. My grandfather used to call us the "Night Witches".

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
If I was living alone, that would be me, too. Many many (many) years ago, when I took three months off from work to write a book, I very quickly cycled to staying up all night writing; it was quiet, fewer distractions and I've always been a night owl anyway. I'd stop around 6am, run a few errands during the morning or early afternoon, then sleep until the evening. Rinse & repeat until I got the damn manuscript finished.
You had the discipline to write a book? Wow! Just Wow! 🏆

I'm intrigued, tell us more?

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
SL Rez
Joined SLU
August, 2008
On the tangent we're on...
Before this job, I had that 3rd job for about 7 months. I originally thought I would LOVE that shift, as I was traditionally a 'Night Owl'.

Instead, I hated it. HATED it. I hated leaving the house on a cold night at 10:30 pm, when I really just wanted to be on the sofa in PJs. Somehow, I had morphed into a morning person. Now, even on weekends, I'm usually in bed by midnight at the latest and up by 7 at the latest.

Weird how wrong I was about myself. :)

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
In a shocking turn of events, water flows downhill and night follows day...

A partier at a Lake of the Ozarks Memorial Day bash that flouted social distancing has tested positive for the new coronavirus. The health department in Camden County, Missouri, where the Lake of the Ozarks is located, announced Friday that a resident of Boone County, Missouri had likely come to the pool party, which drew massive crowds into close quarters, with an incubating case of COVID-19, potentially infecting hundreds of others. Officials provided a detailed timeline of the person’s comings and goings, which included stops at Buffalo Wild Wings, pools, and bars, and those who visited the same locations were advised to monitor themselves for symptoms.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
You had the discipline to write a book? Wow! Just Wow! 🏆

I'm intrigued, tell us more?
Three books in total, for the Pocket Books Star Trek franchise. Franchise writing is the step-child of the publishing industry, so it's not as "respectable" as writing an original novel. My plan was to make that jump, and I did give it a try (this was nearly 30 years ago) by quitting my job and moving into the middle of nowhere "to write." And nothing. Never got past the writer's block.But better failure than never having tried, eh?

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Three books in total, for the Pocket Books Star Trek franchise. Franchise writing is the step-child of the publishing industry, so it's not as "respectable" as writing an original novel. My plan was to make that jump, and I did give it a try (this was nearly 30 years ago) by quitting my job and moving into the middle of nowhere "to write." And nothing. Never got past the writer's block.But better failure than never having tried, eh?
A good franchise. Like all some better than others but some real gems in there.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Sounds to me like the Venn diagram of "fudds" and people who want to "own libs" would be a complete circle. A circle inside a larger circle, perhaps.
And we know what always happens to Elmer Fudd in the cartoons (being for kids, they either have shown him shooting his dick off, but the principle's the same).

as detailed in an article by Vice, the trend started more than a year ago after fighting within the gun enthusiasts community, which eventually led to one faction trying to prove superior knowledge over the other. As the Facebook page Gun Owners Who Hate Gun Owners explained: “It’s actually to upset people who think trigger discipline is important.”

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez

Jopsy Pendragon

SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
As the Facebook page Gun Owners Who Hate Gun Owners explained: “It’s actually to upset people who think trigger discipline is important.”
Trigger discipline... *Cough cough*.

My sample set of gun crazy types is small. But they seem to firmly believe that anyone can be trained to have proper respect for firearm safety.

As if! We can't even get enough people to respect procreative "safety" with reliable consistency!

bubblesort

I actually agree with Trump on this one issue. The Republicans should have a massive, week long convention, with no masks or any kind of PPE at all. They should hold it in a venue that has absolutely no soap, for anything, and they should all hug and kiss each other on the cheeks a lot.

OK I may have added that last bit myself, but it's still a great idea! It would be good for the country! It might even save the post office.

• 1Like
Reactions: Govi

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
You forgot the hard singing and cheering. Very important convention tools.
And meetings all over the country, every day elsewhere, packed with people yelling and screaming "lock him her up!"
That is good for Donny and the nation.

• 1LOL
Reactions: bubblesort