George Bush, 41st President, Dies at 94

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
HW was a moderate when it meant that, instead of 'not quite so right as the nutjobs'

ETA: Gingrich is an evil asshole that I regret ever meeting [though it was because my dad had to interview him because he was our congresscritter], and once I got to college learned just how horrible he is, from people who had worked with him and knew him, he was a real piece of work, and one day, when I find his response to my telling him 'really sir, don't you think as a man you need to stay away from legislating women reproductive rights'.... I'll type it in and let people see just how rude he is too.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
HW wasn't a bad President, and he wasn't a bad Commander in Chief, though it took Clinton to put women on combatant ships in the Navy. Quayle was a bit of an idiot though.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
He such a weird mixed bag. He's the president who passed the Americans with Disabilities Act (and he didn't just sign it, his admin actually did work on it), signed another very pro-immigration act, and created a program for paying monetary damages to people who got cancer due to atmospheric nuclear tests back in the 60's. I had to double-check all of those things before making this post because to someone my age the idea of a Republican being caught dead even speaking positively about initiatives like that, let alone actively supporting them, let alone a Republican president signing them, is just so way the heck out in some kind of (censored)-up Twilight Zone wacky-land that if I didn't already know it was true, and somebody came up to me and told me a Republican president passed the ADA I would instinctively slap them.
Yeah, it was the main example of disability legislation always being bipartisan before recently. In a bit of irony, we still have not ratified the CRPD (the international version of the ADA basically), despite our ratification package being so watered down it would be meaningless, making us one of the last countries that have not done so. That is always an awkward one to explain to disability rights activists from other countries, where it usually has sailed right through their legislatures unanimously. Oh, a bit of trivia, if you see a cowboy hat being carried at a disability rights thing that is probably the hat from the person who was at the desk when Bush41 signed the ADA (look at the pics) and who has since died.

I was watching Morning Joe this morning. They pointed out Barbara and George would be the first 2 people to point out his faults.

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I immediately start wondering what he will do to do to make sure it’s all about him. Maybe climb inside the coffin? Give a speech about how great he is?
Between climbing in the coffin and delivering a speech about how great he is ... I'm betting on the speech but not ruling out the coffin stunt.

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Between climbing in the coffin and delivering a speech about how great he is ... I'm betting on the speech but not ruling out the coffin stunt.
Or just wanders around aimlessly, in a daze, like he did at G20. Since no, he will not be permitted to give a eulogy.

Grandma Bates

Only mostly banned....
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
Yes
SLU Posts
The big question will be how will Pres. Trump turn this around to be about him. There is no way he can sit there and let the funeral proceed while it is about someone else. Sadly, I have reached the point where I do not wonder how he will embarrass his office but how bad it will be. Part of me likes to think that this is 43's last act as a way to create a situation that will allow Trump to make a fool of himself in a way that will erode even his Republican support (which is still shockingly high, sadly).

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
I'm betting on "Gets in handshake tussle with George W. and tries to feel up Laura, Barbara, and/or Jenna." Well, I would, but the odds are only 3:1.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Or just wanders around aimlessly, in a daze, like he did at G20. Since no, he will not be permitted to give a eulogy.
Something will probably happen. A lot of things are looking like Mueller might do something soon. If he does donnie will be screaming to everyone about it. If he does not donnie will be worrying constantly why not.

• 1Like
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale