Sid

I'm not old, I'm vintage!
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Limburg, Netherlands
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 2009
I think he was the best Republican president in my lifetime. He lead the USA and the world trough a turbulent time, was great in international politics.
RIP and thank you for what you did for the world.

Sep 23, 2018
I didn't much like him as a president, but he seemed like an alright guy to me. I feel bad for his family - especially the grand kids and great-grandkids (if there are any) losing him during the holiday season like this. I read somewhere that George W's daughter Barbara was really torn up over losing her grandmother and now this...

Pamela

Oct 7, 2018
Austin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I was shocked to read he quit the NRA in disgust back in 1995.

Romana

Sep 21, 2018
I wasn't a fan of his presidency, but boy was he miles above the Republicans of today.
And he girly wished his successor the best in office, and they were great friends.
I read the Clinton's' tweet in memory of him and some people posted the most awful things in response, some aimed at them and some at him re: Kuwait etc. Not most, but some. SMH.

Sep 21, 2018
Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
He had more decency than either Reagan or Trump (duh) but he was still an oil baron, a conservative (though "moderate" when that meant something), and another religionist. I want to blame him for the first Gulf War, but in reality that was mainly the result of larger strategic decisions that predated him. What he was not was a dynamic speaker, fwiw.

I just wonder if his family will ban Trump from the funeral? They really should.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
Sep 20, 2018
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
So donnie will be talking to bush43 and going to the funeral wednesday. What are the odds he makes it through the day without causing a national embarrassment like making it all about him?

detrius

Sep 20, 2018
Land of bread, beer and BMW.
Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
Maybe they gave him the wrong address?

"No, this is not the the funeral you are looking for. You need to drive, uh, ten miles down the road until you get to the cemetery... next to the McDonald's!"

Lianne Marten

Cheese Baron
Sep 23, 2018
WA, USA
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 18 2007
SLU Posts
On balance he made the world a worse place than it was before him and it would have been better had he never been around.

His legacy is war crimes, obstruction of justice, and racism.

Pamela

Oct 7, 2018
Austin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
On balance he made the world a worse place than it was before him and it would have been better had he never been around.

His legacy is war crimes, obstruction of justice, and racism.
Well now we know how very much worse he could have been.

Lianne Marten

Cheese Baron
Sep 23, 2018
WA, USA
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 18 2007
SLU Posts
Well now we know how very much worse he could have been.
All subsequent Republican Presidents being worse than he was doesn't absolve him, especially since his actions paved the way for their installation.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 19, 2018
Gulf Coast, USA
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
He such a weird mixed bag. He's the president who passed the Americans with Disabilities Act (and he didn't just sign it, his admin actually did work on it), signed another very pro-immigration act, and created a program for paying monetary damages to people who got cancer due to atmospheric nuclear tests back in the 60's. I had to double-check all of those things before making this post because to someone my age the idea of a Republican being caught dead even speaking positively about initiatives like that, let alone actively supporting them, let alone a Republican president signing them, is just so way the heck out in some kind of (censored)-up Twilight Zone wacky-land that if I didn't already know it was true, and somebody came up to me and told me a Republican president passed the ADA I would instinctively slap them.

Sep 20, 2018
... and it would have been better had he never been around.
I'd like to point out that saying his policies are bad, and saying that we'd have been better off if he hadn't been around are two totally different claims.

If the Bushes hadn't been around, do we really know what would have filled that void? I think Reagan actually did make the country more conservative than it was before. I think the country would have been better off if he was never around. But I don't think H W Bush had that same long term, transformational effect. If he wasn't in the picture, it absolutely could have been a lot worse.

I feel the same way about the son. I don't agree with most of what he did, but people forget how blood thirsty the PUBLIC was after 9/11. If we had a real fascist in the white house during that time, that same fascist might still be in charge.

I'm not saying YAY for the Bushes, just that I think the bigger problem with conservativism is much deeper in the country.

Last edited:

Pamela

Oct 7, 2018
Austin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I'm not saying YAY for the Bushes, just that I think the bigger problem with conservativism is much deeper in the country.
Boy that's the truth. To me, GHWB was the antithesis of Trump and his minions. And I would not call it conservatism but authoritarianism.

detrius

Sep 20, 2018
Land of bread, beer and BMW.
Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
He was the last Republican President who I can say tried to be a President for all Americans.

Sadly, that tells you more about Republicans than about him.

Sep 21, 2018
Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
GHWB and Reagan before him, were the last presidents we had before Gingrich's super-conservative "revolution" that opened the floodgates for Koch, Fox News, and the rise of the rightwing evangelists. That doesn't mean they can be excused, just that they laid the groundwork for many of the polarizing issues we face today.

Lianne Marten

Cheese Baron
Sep 23, 2018
WA, USA
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 18 2007
SLU Posts
Categorizing Reagan as not super conservative is a pretty big statement about where we're at right now.

Pamela

Oct 7, 2018
Austin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
He such a weird mixed bag. He's the president who passed the Americans with Disabilities Act (and he didn't just sign it, his admin actually did work on it), signed another very pro-immigration act, and created a program for paying monetary damages to people who got cancer due to atmospheric nuclear tests back in the 60's. I had to double-check all of those things before making this post because to someone my age the idea of a Republican being caught dead even speaking positively about initiatives like that, let alone actively supporting them, let alone a Republican president signing them, is just so way the heck out in some kind of (censored)-up Twilight Zone wacky-land that if I didn't already know it was true, and somebody came up to me and told me a Republican president passed the ADA I would instinctively slap them.
Good to keep in mind that there is a difference between being evil and being wrong. Trump is both.