Democratic Party Presidential Candidates for 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Yes, that's true. But that's not the point. The point is that people want action, even if it will not make it through the Senate. They want the confidence that the people who represent them are actually doing their jobs, even if stymied by the Senate. People will understand it not passing the Senate. What they will not understand is dithering to be a blue placeholder instead of a red one.
Can you explain this post then?

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
There is no guarantee that we will obtain a Senate majority in 2020. Regardless of the Senate's composition, the people serious about getting the work done need to get to work now. No theater. Do the work. When the time comes that it can pass, it will. Gather the necessary info, do what is necessary. It gets people on the record as to where they really stand, if they are really for Medicare for All, the Green New Deal, or any important policy. So you don't get people like this:

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Elizabeth Warren is in a rocky place because of the issue with her claiming Native American ancestry. Not sure if she's going to make it very far.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/06/politics/elizabeth-warren-native-american/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_content=2019-02-06T18:03:08
After seeing her speech today, she’s my girl. Sent a donation.

Why? First, someone pointed out she grew up in OK, where a whole lot of people think they have Cherokee blood. So not as ridiculous as I had thought. She didn’t do blackface, didn’t rape anyone, and no one is perfect.

Second, the woman has heart. She is a fighter all right, but there is an empathy and tenderness about her that I don’t see in anyone else. After the cold hearted corruption we have seen in most Republicans, human feeling matters to me.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I would be happy if either Warren or Harris wins the Primary. If I had to choose between them, I'm still leaning toward Harris, but honestly, either one would do a good job and work to repair this trainwreck we're living in right now.

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
I would be happy if either Warren or Harris wins the Primary. If I had to choose between them, I'm still leaning toward Harris, but honestly, either one would do a good job and work to repair this trainwreck we're living in right now.
I think I'd definitely favor Harris over Warren. The most important thing to me is that the democrat nominee can beat Trump by a wide margin without basically being a republican themselves.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2020 - General Election: Trump vs. Harris

RealClearPolitics - Election 2020 - North Carolina: Trump vs. Warren

I like Warren, but polling data suggests she's really just not well liked among swing voters. Harris is more of an unknown to most of them, so we have a better chance of getting ahead of the right wing propaganda machine.

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Same here except now leaning towards Warren. But really like most of us, I want whoever can beat trump by a comfortable margin — and by that, enough to overcome the damned Electoral College, which not going to be easy.

I do recommend listening to Warren’s speech, tho, I thought it was very impressive.

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I think I'd definitely favor Harris over Warren. The most important thing to me is that the democrat nominee can beat Trump by a wide margin without basically being a republican themselves.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2020 - General Election: Trump vs. Harris

RealClearPolitics - Election 2020 - North Carolina: Trump vs. Warren

I like Warren, but polling data suggests she's really just not well liked among swing voters. Harris is more of an unknown to most of them, so we have a better chance of getting ahead of the right wing propaganda machine.
Well that’s pretty clear, Harris polls much better. I do like that she knows how to deal with cheap criminals like Trump. That is Job One.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I like Warren because while she doesn't seem to have the easy charisma of say Obama [or even twitler], she has that same sense of conviction as Bernie, is knowledgable, already has a record of fitting my political views better than most of the field and is younger than Bernie. She's still not my first choice, but since my first choice isn't even running, then I know where my money is.

Also, the 1% does NOT want Warren or Bernie specifically, so that says they are probably best to take them on. Otherwise, regardless of who gets the nomination, when it comes down to it, even today, any woman is going to have a harder time, just because of their gender. Yet, I refuse to pick a candidate in the primaries solely based on their supposed chances of defeating the idiot in chief.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
She doesn't stand a chance. Sorry.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Klobuchar's opening pitch sidetracked by staff horror stories

My first reaction to these emerging reports about Klobuchar's treatment of her staff was to assume it was typical sexism, and even now I think that's a disproportionate part of the story. Women are held to a higher standard when it comes to "being nice" to people.

That being said, I have developed reservations about Klobuchar because of this behavior. She had the highest turnover of staff in the Senate for five years running, and only recently slipped to second or third place in that regard; that's a real behavior issue, not just a sexist interpretation. I don't give a fig about her "likeability" quotient, but I do care about the ability of a president to both hire and retain the best of the best, and this is a serious sign that Klobuchar can't do that. I have no interest in a Dem version of Trump screaming at staff and creating a revolving door of key White House staff.

Even more importantly, a staff that is focused on appeasing their boss and avoiding being reamed out in public is a staff that is not paying attention to their job. And a staff that is going to hesitate before speaking Truth to Power. A president should trust their staff and vice versa. It's a difficult enough job without making it about tiptoeing around the POTUS.

Klobuchar is now at the bottom of the list of people I'd vote for on the Dem side.

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Klobuchar's opening pitch sidetracked by staff horror stories

My first reaction to these emerging reports about Klobuchar's treatment of her staff was to assume it was typical sexism, and even now I think that's a disproportionate part of the story. Women are held to a higher standard when it comes to "being nice" to people.

That being said, I have developed reservations about Klobuchar because of this behavior. She had the highest turnover of staff in the Senate for five years running, and only recently slipped to second or third place in that regard; that's a real behavior issue, not just a sexist interpretation. I don't give a fig about her "likeability" quotient, but I do care about the ability of a president to both hire and retain the best of the best, and this is a serious sign that Klobuchar can't do that. I have no interest in a Dem version of Trump screaming at staff and creating a revolving door of key White House staff.

Even more importantly, a staff that is focused on appeasing their boss and avoiding being reamed out in public is a staff that is not paying attention to their job. And a staff that is going to hesitate before speaking Truth to Power. A president should trust their staff and vice versa. It's a difficult enough job without making it about tiptoeing around the POTUS.

Klobuchar is now at the bottom of the list of people I'd vote for on the Dem side.
This is why I am leaning Warren. I think she is a transparently good, tho not perfect, person.

I am so sick of the stench of corruption, lies, and greed.

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
This is why I am leaning Warren. I think she is a transparently good, tho not perfect, person.

I am so sick of the stench of corruption, lies, and greed.
Warren has a remarkably consistent record of fighting against corporate greed and political corruption. She's driven by principle rather than ambition, by a fierce desire for change, and she's been in Congress long enough to have a solid understanding of how to work the system. And I also have a thing for professors. :D

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Now, I AM a big Klobuchar fan. She has been very, very good for us in Minnesota and in representing us in Congress. She has always traditionally focused on women and children as well as the left behind. She has been co-sponsor on any number of good bills. I don't think she has much of a shot at the Presidency, largely due to lack of name recognition, but as I said once before here, I could see her in the VP slot. I supported that because we DO have to take back Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, etc. She is the only Mid-westerner so far. She is most definitely no neo-liberal (emphatic). What she is, is a traditional Minnesotan progressive, in every aspect.

I'm not sure what to make of the allegations that she is a bit of tyrant to work for. There has NEVER been a whiff of anything like that before and she's a 3 term Senator. I think the timing is highly suspect and she has never once given off that vibe. However, if it has teeth, then yes, we probably do not want someone who has interpersonal skill issues. I think we may see how well or not well she handles the debates in terms of her skills, in that regard.

For the top spot, I am leaning Warren. She stands for everything I believe in with regard to fixing the top-bottom divide that exists in this country, and most especially in her desire to end the criminality. I do have fears that she (while quite capable of going toe to toe with the disaster-in-chief) will suffer the same fate as HRC.

Last edited:

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
I'm not sure what to make of the allegations that she is a bit of tyrant to work for. There has NEVER been a whiff of anything like that before and she's a 3 term Senator. I think the timing is highly suspect and she has never once given off that vibe.
Her long-standing record of highest staff turnover in the Senate is the kind of fact that makes me think this is more than just malicious gossip. If so, then she's self-sabotaging -- and not just from a PR standpoint. To run for president, you need the best campaign staff and there are rumors that people have turned down those jobs precisely because of her reputation of being so difficult to work for. If she can't clean up her act when the stakes are so high, then she's not presidential material. Bad habits are one thing (and can be unlearned), but compulsive abusive behavior is a red flag of deeper emotional issues that could signal she's not fit to lead. I'm curious to see how this plays out and whether we can peg where she falls in that continuum.

Status
Not open for further replies.