Democratic Party Presidential Candidates for 2020

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I'm sorry that Warren decided not to do a townhall on FOX. I believe some of their viewers would be receptive to some of er policies. But they'll never hear about them if she won't go talk to them. All they will know is that she thinks she's too good for them.

Eunoli

I'm sorry that Warren decided not to do a townhall on FOX. I believe some of their viewers would be receptive to some of er policies. But they'll never hear about them if she won't go talk to them. All they will know is that she thinks she's too good for them.
I kind of agree with this, but also understand about not giving them a veneer of legitimacy. Its a tough call.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
It is a denial of reality to think that an outlet that serves millions of people - and more than any single similar cable outlet - is not legitimate. You may not like it, but it is. She shot herself in the foot. This poor instinct is why she will lose.

Bartholomew Gallacher

If it's true that Biden is a unifying candidate due to his wide-spread support from African-American Dems, as well as from Independents and even never-Trump Republicans, then I will go with the tide. This is not an election I want to be a squeaker. I want Trump soundly trounced as not just a retreat from the cliff-edge of insanity, but also as a statement to the people who took us there.
Biden is for me the "Middle Class Joe" candidate of the Democratic establishment: well known enough to have a chance, tame enough to not introduce any groundbreaking changes to American politics, and too old anyway.

America clearly can and deserves better than him!

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
It is a denial of reality to think that an outlet that serves millions of people - and more than any single similar cable outlet - is not legitimate. You may not like it, but it is. She shot herself in the foot. This poor instinct is why she will lose.
No, it's not "poor instinct." It's a principled stand. Now that stand may hurt her, but it's consistent with who she is and always has been. It's the same reason she's calling for impeachment when it's not "strategically convenient."

Agree with it, disagree with it, whatever, but recognize it for what it is.

What I admire most about Warren is that she speaks Truth to Power and she doesn't take the easy road out of self-interest. She may not win as a result of her choices, and we'll get Joe Biden instead. But that's exactly the choice we're voting for: Someone who has the backbone to stand up for something and someone who gets along with everyone, including the credit corporations. Pick your poison.

Kamilah Hauptmann

This Reality Blows
Warren the Commerce Secretary.

As she's curb stomping too big to fail financial institutions into smaller parts they'll look up in pain and horror and ask, "What happened to civility?" And she will bend down and whisper in their ear, "Merrick Garland." Then produce a ball peen hammer and smash toes. One by one.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
No, it's not "poor instinct." It's a principled stand. Now that stand may hurt her, but it's consistent with who she is and always has been. It's the same reason she's calling for impeachment when it's not "strategically convenient."

Agree with it, disagree with it, whatever, but recognize it for what it is.

What I admire most about Warren is that she speaks Truth to Power and she doesn't take the easy road out of self-interest. She may not win as a result of her choices, and we'll get Joe Biden instead. But that's exactly the choice we're voting for: Someone who has the backbone to stand up for something and someone who gets along with everyone, including the credit corporations. Pick your poison.
How about both? I don't disagree that it's a principled stand, however, I still think it's a poor instinct if you want to reach people who don't think like you and wouldn't watch CNN or MSNBC. And that's a lot of people. I see this kind of move as a ploy to help the DNC's media friends. That reads poorly to me, because while it does deny them a little bit of money, it's not like they're going to go off the air. Even if every single Democrat didn't go onto Fox, they would still be on the air. The important thing is to reach voters, and not all of them are going to like other outlets. They wouldn't even know about these events otherwise. If you are signing up to lead the country, you're going to lead *all* of the country.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
*sigh*

We may well end up with Biden as president. There are certainly plenty of worse things to have, but we really need to have a woman as president, and soon!
A true progressive is what I'd like to see before I die. I'm hoping to make it another 20 or even 30 years so we'll see.

Anya Ristow

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
I am guessing enough people staying home in Michigan or a couple other places where it was very close made a huge difference.
Here's an interesting story about Michigan...

Clinton lost by about 11,000 votes. There were 70,000 votes uncounted in Wayne county (Detroit), because of tabulation machine malfunction. Probably 60,000 of them were for Clinton. Easily enough for her to have won Michigan. Uncounted. From here it gets weird.

Remember Jill Stein's recount effort? It wasn't a recount effort. She wanted those uncounted votes counted by hand. She sued to make it happen. The state asked her to raise some of the money that would be spent counting them, and she did. Trump counter-sued. Jill Stein lacked standing. There was no way she was going to win. He was right, and the court agreed.

But Hillary Clinton's lawyers were in the courtroom. They were asked what they wanted to do.

They said they were just there to observe.

Why?

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
The clown car became a clown bus, and we are on our way to needing a clown zeppelin. Bill de Blasio is officially in: Mayor Bill de Blasio Enters 2020 Race for President
Oy vey! This is getting ridiculous! I mean, I'm all for having a wide range of choices available, but it's quickly getting to the point where whoever wins the primary will only need 30 percent of the vote to do so, and that person won't stand a chance against Trump. We really need a sanity check in this process.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
The clown car became a clown bus, and we are on our way to needing a clown zeppelin. Bill de Blasio is officially in: Mayor Bill de Blasio Enters 2020 Race for President
Because he looked at the race and thought it needed more people?

Even though it is too early for most people to decide a lot are already committed to someone or are deciding between who is already on the list. It is way too late for anyone to get more than a percentage point or two.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer