Democratic Party Presidential Candidates for 2020

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
Oy vey! This is getting ridiculous! I mean, I'm all for having a wide range of choices available, but it's quickly getting to the point where whoever wins the primary will only need 30 percent of the vote to do so, and that person won't stand a chance against Trump. We really need a sanity check in this process.
Sadly, that is precisely the point.

Pamela

SL Rez
Joined SLU

“Conducted May 11-14, 2019 under the joint direction of Beacon Research (D) and Shaw & Company (R), this Fox News Poll includes interviews with 1,008 randomly chosen registered voters nationwide who spoke with live interviewers on both landlines and cellphones. The poll has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus three percentage points for all registered voters, and 4.5 points for Democratic primary voters (469).”

Biden would not be my first choice but I am just praying for someone, anyone, who can beat Trump.

Grandma Bates

Only mostly banned....
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
Yes
SLU Posts

“Conducted May 11-14, 2019 under the joint direction of Beacon Research (D) and Shaw & Company (R), this Fox News Poll includes interviews with 1,008 randomly chosen registered voters nationwide who spoke with live interviewers on both landlines and cellphones. The poll has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus three percentage points for all registered voters, and 4.5 points for Democratic primary voters (469).”

Biden would not be my first choice but I am just praying for someone, anyone, who can beat Trump.
When Stacey Abrams entered the race to be governor of Georgia many complaints were raised. She is an unabashedly liberal, black woman. People said there was no way she could win, and it was folly to nominate someone so clearly at odds with the Georgia electorate. She came close to winning, and the last Democrat to come close to her final percentage total was in 1994. All the moderate, milquetoast white men since then lost by larger margins, and in the last 8 years got clobbered by huge margins. Ms. Abrams, on the other hand energized the base and added thousands of new people to the voting rolls. She came close to winning, and Republican voting suppression efforts played a significant role in the election.

On the national stage the Democratic party continues to push this bizarre narrative that they should ignore their base and push for someone with broad appeal and a mixed record. This only feeds into the narrative of wishy washy, spineless Democrats. Over the last two years a new group of people, including Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, have found the backbone to stand up and change the national discussion. We need people who will clearly and consistently state basic progressive ideas and shift the Overton window back from its current extreme. The next President is going to be elected by a motivated and aggressive base. Right now the Republicans have that, and as usual the Democrats are doing everything they can to squander an incredible opportunity.

Pamela

SL Rez
Joined SLU
When Stacey Abrams entered the race to be governor of Georgia many complaints were raised. She is an unabashedly liberal, black woman. People said there was no way she could win, and it was folly to nominate someone so clearly at odds with the Georgia electorate. She came close to winning, and the last Democrat to come close to her final percentage total was in 1994. All the moderate, milquetoast white men since then lost by larger margins, and in the last 8 years got clobbered by huge margins. Ms. Abrams, on the other hand energized the base and added thousands of new people to the voting rolls. She came close to winning, and Republican voting suppression efforts played a significant role in the election.

On the national stage the Democratic party continues to push this bizarre narrative that they should ignore their base and push for someone with broad appeal and a mixed record. This only feeds into the narrative of wishy washy, spineless Democrats. Over the last two years a new group of people, including Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, have found the backbone to stand up and change the national discussion. We need people who will clearly and consistently state basic progressive ideas and shift the Overton window back from its current extreme. The next President is going to be elected by a motivated and aggressive base. Right now the Republicans have that, and as usual the Democrats are doing everything they can to squander an incredible opportunity.
I love AOC and would crown her if I could. But this is for many of us (73%) not about whose policies we like best but primarily who can beat Trump.

I would take issue about the next president being elected by a motivated base. At this point with R and D bases close to equal it looks like the Independents will decide.

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I want the Democrats to return to their roots as the party for workers. I want them to take us back to 90% income tax on the top tax bracket. More than that I want them to seriously address making women and poc equal in all opportunity for real. I want an end to homelessness. True health care and mental health care for all. Free drugs and safe places for drug addicts and as much help as they want to get well. I want billions of dollars spent on working for peace, not huge financial incentives for war. I'm not going to vote for whomever the polls say can beat Trump because if I don't get a serious progressive candidate I might as well have Trump. I wish everyone would vote for the candidate who they secretly wish could win so we could see how many of us there are and maybe send a message to the politics as usual crowd.
Of course I'll vote for anyone who is my only choice against Trump.