Coup in the USA?

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
The alt-right in general, and the Proud Boys in particular, seem to be imploding. Lengthy but satisfying read.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
More on the splintering implosion (is that a phrase?).

The Proud Boys are having a rough time. The self-described "Western chauvinist" drinking club has long been a refuge for white supremacists, anti-Semites and assorted extremists seeking a veneer of legitimacy.

But in the wake of the violent insurrection at the U.S. Capitol last month, the group is in some disarray, as state chapters disavow the group's chairman and leaders bicker inpublic and in private about what direction to take the Proud Boys in.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
More on the splintering implosion (is that a phrase?).

From the article:

"Jan. 6 was a major turning point," Amarasingam said. "Seeing their friends getting arrested will have been a major shock to the system for people who just wanted to go out and get drunk and brawl."

Grandma Bates

Only mostly banned....
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
Yes
SLU Posts
This comes from today's edition of "What were you thinking?" You know those Republican arguments that imply rich people are rich because they are smarter than poor folks? Well, you do not have to look too far to find counter-examples. It would seem that at least one person who has more money than sense just woke up to realize he might have made a small, rather costly mistake.

The best part of watching them eat each other will be the vast amounts of money handed over to the lawyers just to find out that spoken promises mean nothing.

Last edited:

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
This comes from today's edition of "What were you thinking." You know those Republican arguments that imply that rich people are rich because they are smarter than poor folks? Well, you do not have to look too far to find counter-examples. It would seem that at least one person who has more money than sense just woke up to realize he might have made a small, rather costly mistake.

The best part of watching them eat each other will be the vast amounts of money handed over to the lawyers just to find out that spoken promises mean nothing.
Was it this?

of course it wasn't, lol nonetheless

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Not your fault, but unless I'm doing something wrong, if I follow the the various links in the embedded tweets I eventually find myself reading an article in the LA Times not about Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon but about the late Sen. Thomas Kuchel, drawing a very unfavourable comparison between his principled opposition to McCarthy, Goldwater and the John Birch Society, and today's Republicans.

Here's the story as it appeared in 2019

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Sorry to be a bother, could I impose upon you to evernote that?

ETA: Odd, my phone demanded a login but it's free sailing on desktop.

Last edited:

danielravennest

SLU Posts
In law, spoken promises are just a binding as written contracts. It is just much harder to prove such a contract in the absence of a written document, witnesses, or recordings. Thus certain contracts, like the transfer of land, are required to be in writing because they are too important to not have a record of.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
This is what it must be like in Iran, when legislators there upset their more extreme relatives.

The letter from his family really is quite something. The author is not well.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
This is what it must be like in Iran, when legislators there upset their more extreme relatives.

The letter from his family really is quite something. The author is not well.
Anyone who decided, despite where their party is heading, to stand by the rule of law and do the right thing and put country of party deserves respect for that. I can completely disagree with someone's politics, and still respect them.

And yes, or anywhere else with a cult taking a hold of entirely too much of the government.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Anyone who decided, despite where their party is heading, to stand by the rule of law and do the right thing and put country of party deserves respect for that. I can completely disagree with someone's politics, and still respect them.

And yes, or anywhere else with a cult taking a hold of entirely too much of the government.
I don't think it's a cult so much as people showing who they really are.

When it comes down to it, there's a sizeable minority of the US population who don't support democracy at all.

This minority comprises a coalition of several different groups who, for their various different reasons, would prefer a United States run as an authoritarian oligarchy.

They've always been there, paying lip-service to democracy when they have to, while depending on the undemocratic senate and electoral college to maintain their oligarchy, but when it comes down to it, there's a sizeable number of fascists in the US, just as there were a century ago when the second KKK started to get going, and then America First.

They'd prefer to maintain a veneer of democratic consent, of course, but when consent is withdrawn, that's no more than an inconvenience -- power, coercive if necessary, is what matters.

That, I fear, is who and what they are.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I don't think it's a cult so much as people showing who they really are.

When it comes down to it, there's a sizeable minority of the US population who don't support democracy at all.

This minority comprises a coalition of several different groups who, for their various different reasons, would prefer a United States run as an authoritarian oligarchy.

They've always been there, paying lip-service to democracy when they have to, while depending on the undemocratic senate and electoral college to maintain their oligarchy, but when it comes down to it, there's a sizeable number of fascists in the US, just as there were a century ago when the second KKK started to get going, and then America First.

They'd prefer to maintain a veneer of democratic consent, of course, but when consent is withdrawn, that's no more than an inconvenience -- power, coercive if necessary, is what matters.

That, I fear, is who and what they are.
Some of them, yes. But they are supported by people who have decided that the ex-president is their gift from god, if not god himself, and they are too stupid to realize they have lost them. I used the wrong word, maybe, but the GOP party on the state level are a cult [well, except, apparently, Utah's.]

• 1Agree
Reactions: Innula Zenovka