WTF Climate Change News

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Well, it is the area where I live about 99% of my time, so yes if it is ugly as hell, please NIMBY.
Edit to add:
Plus, in the nature around agglomerations like das Ruhrgebiet, Kreis Aachen, and parts of South Limburg, the last thing people who try to recreate there want to see, is even more industrial eyesores than they already have directly in and around their homes in these dense populated and industrialized urban clusters.

Last edited:

danielravennest

SLU Posts
How it started (Bell Labs, 1954):

How it's going:

For reference, the world's total energy consumption of all kinds is around 18,000 GW. 200GW of new solar translates to 50GW of average output, or 0.28% of world energy supply. We need a couple more doublings of the installation rate, which might take 10-20 years.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
How it started (Bell Labs, 1954):

How it's going:

For reference, the world's total energy consumption of all kinds is around 18,000 GW. 200GW of new solar translates to 50GW of average output, or 0.28% of world energy supply. We need a couple more doublings of the installation rate, which might take 10-20 years.
I expect that a fair number of people are considering doing solar roofs as they have to replace them. My mom is considering it, and we've been considering it here as well; and since Sally did damage our roof, but in a sneaky manner, hopefully that will be soon.

• 1Like
Reactions: Archer

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
At some point in the future, what is left of humankind will view the world like this. with habitable land falling inside the Arctic Circle. The ice will be gone, and the Arctic Ocean will be as balmy as the old Mediterranean Sea. Residents of these upper latitudes will fight off the hordes of Southern Mutant Barbarians who threaten to overrun them when the harvests are good.

But eventually the Ice Ages will return and we'll start the cycle all over again as Arctic humans move south and marvel at the ancient ruins of mythic civilizations abandoned so long ago.

• 1Like
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Archer and Kalel

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
We simply don't know what will be next.
The only things we can do is make educated guesses for the future and leave the earth as clean and tidy as possilbe for the next generations.
But there are still so many unknowns.
It is possible you are right with your pretty pessimistic vision about the future Beebo, but there is a possibility as well that students in 2121 smile when they research a century old newspapers and Internet archives and discuss how on earth it was possible that the people in 2021 did not stumble over the obvious solutions right before their noses. Failing to ad 1+1 together.

Last edited:

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
It is possible you are right Beebo, but there is a possibility as well that students in 2121 smile when they research old newspapers and Internet archives and discuss how on earth it was possible that the people in 2021 did not stumble over the obvious solutions right before their noses.
It's not like we don't already know what the obvious solutions are, it's just a collective unwillingness to make the changes fast enough.
We don't need any as yet undiscovered technologies (not that they'd do any good considering development time) when we have the technologies we need.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Just an example:
When I was a kid we had a record player with vinyl discs. Than came the tape cassettes and the walkman, then the CDs and the diskman, then mp3 on the mp3 players and now Spotify on the mobile phone through Internet and WIFI headphones. 9 Mayor fundamental shifts in less than 50 years.
Compare the world from around 1921 and now.
It shows that things can change relatively rapidly. Totally (yet) unknown breaktroughs can and will be discovered in every field over the years.
Will it be in the field of climate control as well?
We simply don't know what the future brings. That's my main point.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
As I understand - if the oceans become enough fresh water from melting ice.... it can cause a big freeze...

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
As I understand - if the oceans become enough fresh water from melting ice.... it can cause a big freeze...
Presumably, given enough time, the world's temperatures will revert to a mean average, simply by the laws of mathematics.

But that's *given enough time," which is rather a lot.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Beebo Brink and Sid

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
If the thermohaline circulation is disrupted then no more Gulf Stream and Europe gets chillier among other effects. And some of the other effects are more serious in the long term. These ocean currents take cold, saline, oxygenated water from the poles along the ocean floor and upwell at lower latitudes entraining nutrients from the ocean floor. The Gulf Stream (and other poleward moving warm surface currents) are the return flow.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Only in some locations, and not on a global level.

The thermohaline circulation moves warm waters from the equator up to the northern latitudes, buffering places like the British Isles from the cold temperatures that they would otherwise experience. So if infusions of fresh water disrupt the circulation pattern, that warmth is no longer dispersed along those coastal areas in the north and they revert to the same cold weather the rest of us have to deal with every winter.

This doesn't CREATE cold weather, so it's not much help against climate change. Instead, it's one of the symptoms of accelerating climate change.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Only in some locations, and not on a global level.

The thermohaline circulation moves warm waters from the equator up to the northern latitudes, buffering places like the British Isles from the cold temperatures that they would otherwise experience. So if infusions of fresh water disrupt the circulation pattern, that warmth is no longer dispersed along those coastal areas in the north and they revert to the same cold weather the rest of us have to deal with every winter.

This doesn't CREATE cold weather, so it's not much help against climate change. Instead, it's one of the symptoms of accelerating climate change.
I knew it was a symptom, and no, its not a good thing - the last study I'd seen on it suggested it was in fact a very bad thing, because it would cause a lashback of freezing near the poles, as well as an overheating in southern climes because they didn't get the cooler water because they system would be broken. But I guess that was 15 or so years ago.

Also, my statement was a bit abbreviated because was chiming in during a very short break.