WTF Climate Change News

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Earth's largest-ever mass extinction is a warning for humanity

But this is not the first time that life on our planet has faced an epic challenge. The worst came a little over 250 million years ago — before dinosaurs walked the earth — in an episode called the Permian-Triassic Mass Extinction, or the Great Dying, when 90% of life in the oceans and 70% of life on land vanished.

Recently, two groundbreaking studies on the Great Dying reveal that the causes of that mass extinction bear some striking similarities to what's happening today. In fact, in some ways the pace of change, such as the rate of release of greenhouse gases, is much faster today than it was 250 million years ago.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
What's his beef with German diplomacy? I know they're recognized as Russia experts because of the country's long history with them and I rather like them putting the brakes on over-excitable American politicians ... considering their history as a potential nuclear battlefield and doing all the right things about their own history.

But this guy seems to have a lot behind him as well, he seems to be a top one percenter in the the brains and accomplishments department, and being Estonian with even closer experience with Russia I have to take him seriously. Looking for information here, I don't know enough to form any views or push any agendas.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
What's his beef with German diplomacy? I know they're recognized as Russia experts because of the country's long history with them and I rather like them putting the brakes on over-excitable American politicians ... considering their history as a potential nuclear battlefield and doing all the right things about their own history.

But this guy seems to have a lot behind him as well, he seems to be a top one percenter in the the brains and accomplishments department, so I have to take him seriously. Looking for information here, I don't know enough to form any views or push any agendas.
He's a former president of Estonia, so he certainly should be taken seriously, I think.

The Baltic Republics, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, were until 1991 illegally annexed by the USSR, as a result of the 1939 Nazi-Soviet pact, so there are particular local sensitivities, of course, but if I lived up there, I'd be very aware that a lot of Russians, including Putin, have never really accepted the independence of "the near abroad" and that the US and much of the EU are potentially uncertain allies.

People in the Baltics generally tend, I think, to see themselves as part of the community of Scandinavian nations than as aligned with central or eastern Europe.

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
Last edited:

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Will be interesting to see if they can be scaled to compete with conventional turbines. I could see an application for a marine version in harnessing tidal currents.
Also wonder what noise is generated.
According to the article,
The turbine is no danger to bird migration patterns, or wildlife, particularly if used in urban settings. For the people living or working nearby, the turbine would create noise at a frequency virtually undetectable to humans.

“Today, the turbine is small and would generate small amounts of electricity. But we are looking for an industrial partner to scale up our plans to a 140 metre turbine with a power capacity of 1 megawatt,” says Yáñez.
Though I supposed we don't know what the noise from a larger turbine will sound like.

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Rose Karuna and Ashiri

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Though I supposed we don't know what the noise from a larger turbine will sound like.
That is what I was wondering. The oscillating part would have to be well designed not to create noise arising from the interaction of the wind with the lightweight structure and skin. It would probably have to be made in a similar way to how wind turbine blades are made.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

I'm certain 1 (but likely 12) of the punditry in Fox News' orbit will be blowing up over this today.

• 1Yay!
Reactions: Govi

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Solar Market Year in Review

• In 2020, the U.S. solar market installed a record 19.2 GWdc of solar capacity, a 43% increase over 2019.
  • Solar accounted for 43% of all new electricity-generating capacity added in the U.S. in 2020, representing solar’s largest ever share of new generating capacity and ranking first among all technologies for the second year in a row.
Coal is dead. Natural Gas is starting to get squeezed out:

Solar keeps getting cheaper:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Presumably this applies equally to the armed forces of other countries, too.

Evernote link because paywall

Certainly applies to the US

Evernote link because paywall

Last edited:

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
Presumably this applies equally to the armed forces of other countries, too.
I don't think any of us -- including squinty-eyed pessimists like me -- fully grasp the scope of what we're facing. There's just no precedent in our perspective for the pervasive and implacable forces that are coming to bear on us.

Climate change will affect the military, infrastructure, agriculture, water resources, coastal real estate, fishing industry, and countless other aspects of life and all at the same time. It will continue to escalate, inexorably, and nothing we do in the present will stop the baked-in change we're created. What never seems to factor in to long-range plans for capping emissions -- to prevent yet more catastrophic climate change -- is the disruptions that are inevitable in the short-term.

We're competent enough at recovering from one or two major disasters (hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, winter storms) that come every few decades. The country absorbs the regional economic losses, rebuilds, gets back on track. When we get to the point where every region is experiencing disasters, and they come every few years instead of every few decades, our resiliency will be sorely tested.