WTF Climate Change News

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
AOC and Jane Fonda 3.0 speak out on Green New Deal and support Joe Biden, even though Biden doesn't support it. Nothing weird about that.

Since I like to check this kind of claim, I took a look at Biden's website, and was surprised to find this:

Biden believes the Green New Deal is a crucial framework for meeting the climate challenges we face. It powerfully captures two basic truths, which are at the core of his plan: (1) the United States urgently needs to embrace greater ambition on an epic scale to meet the scope of this challenge, and (2) our environment and our economy are completely and totally connected.

So I dug a bit further, and this is what Snopes have to say:
What's True
Biden said during the first 2020 presidential debate that he does not support the Green New Deal, a congressional resolution that lays out a set of proposals for tackling climate change. Instead, he said he supports the "Biden Plan," which itself refers to the Green New Deal as a “crucial framework for meeting the climate challenges."
What's False
Despite sharing certain elements in common with the Green New Deal, the Biden Plan also differs from it in significant ways, so it would be inaccurate to claim Biden supports the Green New Deal in its entirety.
It goes on to say,

Generally speaking, both policies establish a similar framework but differ in the specifics of how policymakers should go about enforcing and reaching defined goals. For example, both plans highlight the importance of clean, safe drinking water and community-driven projects that promote social and environmental justice in areas disproportionately impacted by the effects of climate change.

The greatest difference between the Biden Plan and the Green New Deal lies in their stances on the Paris Agreement, an international agreement established in 2015 with the central aim of coordinating and strengthening the global response to climate change and keeping the global temperature rise in this century below 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels. Whereas the Biden Plan promises a recommitment to the Paris Agreement, the Green New Deal does not mention it at all.

So Biden's plans, at least in this regard, go considerably further than does the Green New Deal, which I would have thought is to be applauded rather than criticised.

See also

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Since I like to check this kind of claim, I took a look at Biden's website, and was surprised to find this:

So I dug a bit further, and this is what Snopes have to say:

It goes on to say,

So Biden's plans, at least in this regard, go considerably further than does the Green New Deal, which I would have thought is to be applauded rather than criticised.

See also

But...... Bernie, they stole the nomination from him!!!!!1111!!!!!1 /s

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
AOC and Jane Fonda 3.0 speak out on Green New Deal and support Joe Biden, even though Biden doesn't support it. Nothing weird about that.

Oh my fucking god! Why haven't I put you on ignore yet?

We get that you're butthurt that your boy Bernie didn't get the nomination. GROW THE FUCK UP!!!

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Oh my fucking god! Why haven't I put you on ignore yet?

We get that you're butthurt that your boy Bernie didn't get the nomination. GROW THE FUCK UP!!!
The best part of that boy is the 'Mericuh' goggles. Nothing outside the borders at all. Unintentional Jingo.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
The best part of that boy is the 'Mericuh' goggles. Nothing outside the borders at all. Unintentional Jingo.
On Aug 11, the person mentioned having a husband and has had covid-19, so unless he is gay and married (making his choices extra stupid) he is a she. Wait, that makes her choices extra stupid, as well.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Game over. This is the start of the "worst case" scenario that was considered to be hysterical fear-mongering just a decade ago.
The latest discovery potentially marks the third source of methane emissions from the region. Semiletov, who has been studying this area for two decades, has previously reported the gas is being released from the shelf of the Arctic – the biggest of any sea.

For the second year in a row, his team have found crater-like pockmarks in the shallower parts of the Laptev Sea and East Siberian Sea that are discharging bubble jets of methane, which is reaching the sea surface at levels tens to hundreds of times higher than normal. This is similar to the craters and sinkholes reported from inland Siberian tundra earlier this autumn.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez