WTF Climate Change News

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
A lengthy and not-uncritical look at Extinction Rebellion's progress, and the different strands of thinking encompassed by the moment before Covid-19 and some thoughts on its prospects for the future

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
PANDEMIC: Coronavirus is reducing CO2. Why that's worrisome

And this is why we're driving full speed over a cliff where climate change is concerned. We're seeing first-hand how much effort it takes to make minimal changes to emissions. Our current emergency-driven model of staying at home isn't sustainable and is bringing global economies near collapse.
But even today, with millions of people around the world stuck at home, the world economy is consuming vast quantities of fossil fuel and emitting large amounts of CO2.

The dynamic highlights the limits of individual action and the need to transform how the economy is fueled, said Shahzeen Attari, a professor who studies human behavior and climate change at the University of Indiana.

"I think what we need is structural change, and that comes from transitioning our entire energy system, the type of vehicles we buy, electricity we consume, weatherizing our homes," Attari said. "Individuals can, in aggregate, push the system, but we need to figure out these pathways of pushing the system."

Jopsy Pendragon

MTGA - Make Trump Go AWAY
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
/me uncorks a bottle of pure cynicism.

The political pendulum may swing back next election... but it's clear to me (looking at Covidiots & trump supporters) that if it does... people are going to start SHOOTING at it.

Republicans won't address climate change, and they're going to prevent democrats from doing anything about it either.

The worse it gets, clearly the more people are going to double-down on their delusion and brazenly do the -worst- things imaginable, screaming "MAH FREEDUMBS!! I'LL DO WHAT I WANT NO MATTER HOW MANY PEOPLE IT KILLS!"

*sigh* So yeah, I've basically stopped caring about climate change. It's clear this ship won't turn in time to miss that iceberg. May as well have another drink and listen to the band.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts

Jopsy Pendragon

MTGA - Make Trump Go AWAY
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
With all due respect for family and folks here who live there... a large part of me really wishes that climate change would rob Florida of its electoral college votes in the near future.
Can we have their status as a state?

We got dissed on the funds any state got, even though we are larger than some of them, in the stimulus. Instead getting the much smaller amount territories get, even though we pay taxes and they do not. Usually you hear 'the 50 states and dc' .... not this time.

So what reason did the rs give? We are not a state. Then people wonder why dc citizens want to be a state.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Jopsy Pendragon

Sovereignty

SL Rez
Can we have their status as a state?

We got dissed on the funds any state got, even though we are larger than some of them, in the stimulus. Instead getting the much smaller amount territories get, even though we pay taxes and they do not. Usually you hear 'the 50 states and dc' .... not this time.

So what reason did the rs give? We are not a state. Then people wonder why dc citizens want to be a state.
Cuomo is complaining that states got NO funds from stimulus bills. He is saying New York state will have to cut funding by 20% to teachers, etc. That would occur nationwide [I presume, in some form]. The bill passed today does not change that.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Cuomo is complaining that states got NO funds from stimulus bills. He is saying New York state will have to cut funding by 20% to teachers, etc. That would occur nationwide [I presume, in some form]. The bill passed today does not change that.
Maybe he was only talking about the second one? The article I read was saying it was in the first but the state relief did not include dc.

Sovereignty

SL Rez
Maybe he was only talking about the second one? The article I read was saying it was in the first but the state relief did not include dc.
Cuomo emphatically and repeatedly stated over the last few days in his briefings that the states need help and have not gotten it.

I did hear something on MSNBC tonight about some provision for special state COVID expenses in an earlier bill. The way they said it indicated those expenses do not meet the needs of teachers, firemen, etc (ordinary expenses). Now the bill today did help hospitals in some manner. Hospitals were on Cuomo's list of cuts that would otherwise be required. I wonder if Cuomo will change his list the next time he brings it up.

The stories on MSNBC were also talking about mayors needing help, a nice way to avoid listing cities, towns, villages, wide places in the road, and Washington D.C.

Free

Chapeau-ed Leader of the Free World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
There are few people who make me laugh more at such purposeful obtuseness than Shapiro does.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
I'm a little wary of the accusations against this film. Generally speaking, I'm not a Michael Moore fan, but this statement in particular is dead-on:

Jeff Gibbs, who wrote and directed the film, has suggested that unrestrained economic and population growth should be the target of environmentalists’ efforts rather than technological fixes.
There is so much useless, ineffective "green" activity (at least from the perspective of mitigating climate change) that there are, I'm sure, plenty of targets for Moore's type of muck-raking. And I'm sure they would holler like stuck pigs at being called out. All the more so because so many are well-meaning and sincere and don't acknowledge the futility of what they are promoting.

Either way, however, I'm not sure I care enough to see the film and make a judgment. Not these days. I'm sapped of all outrage.