- Joined
- Sep 20, 2018
- Messages
- 24,415
- SLU Posts
- 18459
David Cameron's Chancellor explains basic civics to his former party's central office:
? Please, just tell me the name of the EU directive to which you refer, and I'll look it up. Or give me something to go on, at least."This" is definitely transparency legislation.
Of course Jan 31 is still too soon to do anything reasonable except for a full withdrawal of A50. The odds of that though are pretty slim, politicians are like sailors moving around deckchairs when there is a 'break glass to stop titanic sinking' panel that is bleedin obvious!Tusk has already tweeted that he's recommending acceptance of the UKs request, and most analysis is that the EU will accept that.
Now, this is important... If the EU just says "yes", the existing wording of law kicks in without any more action in parliament and the extension is to January. If they propose a different period, that will require parliamentary action which Boris & the hardliners can sink and still cause a no-deal on the 31st.
Cue a lesson on lockpicking from inside the wardrobe.
The way British politics seem to work, it looks like a pretty good week schedule.

First he has to persuade the opposition (and, indeed, his own MPs) to agree to an election on December 12, and the whole thing is a bit academic unless and until the EU27 grant an extension -- they probably will , but we don't know for how long it will be.BBC News - PM says he will try for 12th December election
![]()
Brexit: Boris Johnson to try for 12 December election
Labour says it will "absolutely support" an election but only if a no-deal Brexit is "off the table".www.bbc.co.uk
I guess it will be interesting to see how well the brexit party will do at the GE. I think MPs are in full a huge shock especially with the Labour party.
Boris Johnson will do well I think. The SNP will gain more seats.
Another hung parliament maybe ?
Perhaps Argent means the Transparency Rules for Intermediaries and Taxpayers? Please, just tell me the name of the EU directive to which you refer, and I'll look it up. Or give me something to go on, at least.
If I properly understand the fullfact.org article to which I linked earlier, those are discussed in the second section, beginningPerhaps Argent means the Transparency Rules for Intermediaries and Taxpayers
As I read the article, though, three of the directive's provisions are already active in British law and the remaining two, to be activated in January 2020, are comparatively minor technical adjustments.One possibility is that he is referring to the EU’s new “anti tax avoidance directive”, the last part of which has to be applied in member states by 1 January 2020 (although it’s unclear if they will still take effect if we leave with no deal at the end of October).



