Brexit.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
One of the few positive signs in this whole debacle is I cannot believe that even Theresa May would have put Chris Grayling, of all people, in charge of commissioning ferries if she thought they were ever likely to be needed -- a bit like Liam Fox and negotiating international trade deals.

ETA: Chris "Failing" Grayling really is the least competent of Theresa May's ministers by far. He's a sort of Mr Bean of contemporary British politics.

Last edited:
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Tigger

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
ETA: Chris "Failing" Grayling really is the least competent of Theresa May's ministers by far. He's a sort of Mr Bean of contemporary British politics.
I am not sure if that is a fair analogy. I always considered Mr Bean to be clever at times.

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Brexit freight ferry firm appears all geared up – to deliver pizzas

First, it emerged that the “startup” company hired to operate extra ferries as part of no-deal Brexit planning had no ships.

Now, new questions are being asked about the readiness of Seaborne Freight to handle the £13.8m contract after it turned out that terms and conditions on its website appeared to be intended for a food delivery firm.

“It is the responsibility of the customer to thoroughly check the supplied goods before agreeing to pay for any meal/order,” read part of the text on the company’s website.

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
For pity's sake...
Other signs that the website may have been cobbled together included a “portal login” section that was an image of username and password boxes rather than an actual means of logging in. A language settings option also appeared to be an image of a union flag rather than an interactive option.
But what's more embarassing, Failin' Grayling's ghost ship ferry company or Theresa May's refusal to face reality as she desperately tries to get European leaders to roll back on their statement that there will be no re-negotiations?

May's ring round of EU leaders seeking further Brexit talks fails

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
For pity's sake...

But what's more embarassing, Failin' Grayling's ghost ship ferry company or Theresa May's refusal to face reality as she desperately tries to get European leaders to roll back on their statement that there will be no re-negotiations?

May's ring round of EU leaders seeking further Brexit talks fails
That's expected, though. I think the point of the delay and the abortive attempt to seek renegotiations was to make it clear to Parliament that, despite what a lot of MPs were saying about "go back and renegotiate," this really is the only deal on offer.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Sid and Kara Spengler

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
That's expected, though. I think the point of the delay and the abortive attempt to seek renegotiations was to make it clear to Parliament that, despite what a lot of MPs were saying about "go back and renegotiate," this really is the only deal on offer.
Maybe. Unfortunately some politicians will continue to lie to themselves and their constituents while they think there is a shred of hope of another deal.

The best thing the EU could do for the process is be completely clear (yes, I know they have already done this) that this is their final offer and nothing will change that. Maybe even hold a press conference and say so as it seems some are not getting the message.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Maybe. Unfortunately some politicians will continue to lie to themselves and their constituents while they think there is a shred of hope of another deal.

The best thing the EU could do for the process is be completely clear (yes, I know they have already done this) that this is their final offer and nothing will change that. Maybe even hold a press conference and say so as it seems some are not getting the message.
Our friends in the DUP don't seem to have received the memo yet:

Pressure mounts on Theresa May as DUP says there is no need for key parts of Prime Minister's Brexit deal

(though, as someone I know who was involved in the Peace Process negotiations put it, "Show an Ulsterman a wire and he'll go right up to it").

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Maybe the backstop is there because the EU does not fully trust the UK to come up with a solution to keep the border open. I notice there is a pattern of people saying that there is a solution who can't seem to say exactly what that would be.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Maybe the backstop is there because the EU does not fully trust the UK to come up with a solution to keep the border open. I notice there is a pattern of people saying that there is a solution who can't seem to say exactly what that would be.
Politicians not solving something unless their feet are held to the fire? Nah, that would never happen.

The border will be solved through the magic of technology! What more detail do you need? :)

Of course, even assuming there is a technological solution what they seem to be proposing just effectively moves the border somewhere else. Since there has to be a border between the EU and the UK it is either between the ROI and NI or it is not, no logician would see a flaw in that logic which is why it is so mystifying to politicians. The 'solution' of moving it starts to sound more like infinite recursion than anything else. Turtles all the way down ...

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
The solution is to reach a lasting permanent agreement that is acceptable to both the EU and the UK. So, in effect, the people who are complaining about the backstop are saying that they don't think one can be reached in the time allowed.

Sid

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Police reinforcements for Northern Ireland in case of no-deal Brexit. | The Guardian.
Almost 1,000 police officers from England and Scotland are to begin training for deployment in Northern Ireland in case of disorder from a no-deal Brexit, the Guardian has learned.

The plans were put in place after Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) chiefs asked for reinforcements to deal with any trouble that arises from a hard border. The training for officers from English forces and Police Scotland is expected to begin this month.
The Brexit secretary, Stephen Barclay, said the government was to “accelerate our no-deal planning further” to include a public information campaign, using radio and social media to raise awareness about the need to prepare.
Seems like the UK government is willing to go for a no deal.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
They have to be seen as being willing to go for "no deal," certainly, since their only chance (very slim, and quite probably non-existent) of getting the deal through Parliament is to persuade sufficient MPs that it really is this deal or no deal, and that this deal is the lesser of the two evils.

Whether they are actually prepared to go for no deal is another question.

My main worry now is that we risk blundering into no deal by accident. That's the risk inherent in playing "chicken."

• 2Agree
Reactions: Ashiri and Govi

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
I can conceive of our government ending up at no deal out of incompetence and ignorance. But the idea of deliberately heading for no deal is mad, the consequences of that would surely, surely destroy the Tory party for good and if there is one thing May is loyal to, it's her party.