VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
What can there possibly go wrong?

• 1Agree
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Ariane

According to Phil, the UK signed up to agree to WTO-GPA trade rules, which are the very same trade rules used by the EU. While this may result in an actual deal with the EU (finally), it also means UK can't be as independent as they have been claiming, and the last 4 years of negotiating and grandstanding have been a complete waste of time.

Stora

SL Rez
Why France is raising the stakes over fishing

A quarter of France's national catch comes from Britain's fish-rich waters. In northern ports like Boulogne-sur-Mer, fishermen are dependent on them.
"If there's no deal, we're going to ask that the French get the French waters," Mr Merlin explained. "That the Belgians go back to Belgium, and the Dutch as well. Because if all those boats get kicked out and come here [to French fishing grounds], it'll be unbearable."

Brexit: Why France is raising the stakes over fishing

Sid

Coffee lover.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
Tomorrow is D day.
At least if BOJO is a man of his words.

Edit to add: Where is the can?

• 1Like
Reactions: Stora

Sid

Coffee lover.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
My 2 cents/ 1.82 pennies:

Note to PM BoJo.
The UK isn't Canada.
There is an ocean between them.
The EU doesn't have a history with Canada similar to that of the UK.
The EU and Canada have no extremely explosive border issue, that makes both sides want to keep it open as if non existent. The EU and the UK have one on the isle of Ireland.
The EU and Canada were on a path to come closer to each other.
The EU and the UK are in a divorce process:
My CD, your CD, CD belonging to both of us, but a present from my mother, so it stays with me.
So yeah, huge differences with of course a different outcome, especially if someone try to breach the divorce terms agreed upon already unilateral, with home made laws.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: Arkady Arkright

Sid

Coffee lover.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I'm afraid that this starts more and more to look like wishful thinking.
The tone gets more grim.
That is no good sign at this stage of the negotiations IMHO.
Let's hope for the best.
I don't think anyone expects the EU to make anything but some token gestures, if that -- the question is, rather, at what point does Johnson back down, or will he blunder into a no-deal Brexit that he doesn't want any more than does anyone else.

I suspect he's waiting for the Lords to throw out his bill to allow the government to break international law, which will then enable him to blame the Lords for making unworkable his plans to protect NI in the event of a no-deal Brexit, so he's forced to accept something he doesn't like as the lesser of the two evils.

The problem for Johnson with a no-deal Brexit isn't simply that it's going to cause economic chaos and make the recession caused by Covid-19 even worse.

It's that it won't "Get Brexit Done" at all, since the government will find itself having to cut side-deal after side-deal in individual areas in which it's in the EU's interest to have an agreement, and that will be very much on the EU's terms and not his, and that will go on, and on and on.

It's just I don't trust him not to bungle it.

Oh well, as you say, let's hope for the best. Whatever happens is going to happen whatever we think about it.

Sid

Coffee lover.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
So the UK seems to want to negotiate a deal without talking to each other now.

The UK's chief Brexit negotiator has told his European counterpart not to come to London on Monday to resolve stalled talks, after the prime minister warned it was time to "get ready" to leave without a deal.
If I were the EU, I would 'leak' a draft list early next week to the press, with internal proposals of the tariffs that will be slapped on Brittish goods if there is no deal.
With of course at least 25% on almost everything that is really important for the UK export to Europe and practically none on total unimportant trade goods.
And a total ban on British fish.
And then let's see what happens in Downingstreet.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: Arkady Arkright

Stora

SL Rez
Ball in EU's court over trade deal, says Gove

The ball is in the EU's court if it wants to conclude a post-Brexit trade deal with the UK before the end of the year, Michael Gove has said.
Talks between the two sides have broken down amid disagreements over fishing access and competition issues.
The Cabinet Office minister said the EU's behaviour suggested it was not "serious" about an agreement although he hoped one was still possible.
Brexit: Ball in EU's court over trade deal, says Gove

• 1Facepalm
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Sid and Govi