April 8 Eclipse and Freakout

Dakota Tebaldi

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
9,978
Location
Ohio
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
16791
Nope it's just a matter of, nobody ever looks at the Sun any other day because there's literally no reason to and it's naturally unpleasant, which usually keeps people safe the rest of the time. But during an eclipse people have a reason to look and try to push past the natural instinct to not do that, which exposes them to the danger that's always there but that they usually naturally avoid.
 

Cindy Claveau

Radical Left Degenerate
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
3,488
Location
US
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
44403
No one usually mentions that staring at the sun during an eclipse is no more harmful than staring at the sun during any sunny day. It just isn't something people normally do. The eclipse came out for about 1/4 second from the clouds. I saw it and I'm pretty sure I'm ok.
Just my opinion, but I believe the damage comes from prolonged viewing. A quick glance may dazzle your vision but it will pass.