April 8 Eclipse and Freakout

GoblinCampFollower

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
5,884
SL Rez
2007
My part of West Virginia will get approximately 95% coverage, so what we see will greatly depend on the weather. Which is currently overcast and cold.

The next total eclipse of the Sun for West Virginia will be on September 14, 2099. Oh well.
I feel spoiled now. We got a perfect total eclipse with nice weather in 2017. We also get 99% coverage for this one as long as the weather forecast holds up. I did learn last time there is a big difference between partial and total though.
 

Jopsy Pendragon

*Very* disappointed with 2026 so far.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,204
Location
San Diego CA
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2007
SLU Posts
11308
I'm out of town, staying with my folks in southeast AZ, probably 70% totality here, but better than any I've seen yet. I made an effort to watch the transit of Venus a few years back, that was neat.

Hopefully it'll be clear on Monday... We've been getting nearly 60 mile an hour wind gusts today as the storm rolls by to the north. Doors and window rattling like crazy.
 

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
5,484
Location
Columbus, OH
SL Rez
2010
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
42
We plan on making the trek to the parking lot of City BBQ in Hilliard. If we don't see anything, we still get brisket. It's only about 7 miles from us, enough inside the path to see 1.5-2 minutes of totality if the clouds are not too heavy. Forecast says partly cloudy, but probably high level clouds that will allow us to see the corona.
 

CronoCloud Creeggan

Eliza, because Free says so.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
2,606
Location
Central Illinois
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
278
Central illinois means a strong partial from my location. Tiny sliver at around 2pm. It would be more fun to watch with a short trip to Effingham or terre-haute and if I wasn't recovering. I even have an MRI scheduled, darn it, around the time of max partiality. The one a few years back was good here too.
 

Noodles

The sequel will probably be better.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,459
Location
Illinois
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
6947
My aunt and uncle live in the Indianapolis area, so I am going over that way. The nice thing is not having to worry about hotels or leaving until the next day to avoid the traffic somewhat.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Cindy Claveau

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
9,529
Location
Montréal
SL Rez
2007
Some of our group have had to change plans for work and such, so I’m thinking of just viewing it from atop my roof. We’re not allowed to go there (accès is from a trap door that is above the indoor emergency stairwell) but who’s gonna stop me? Me, the janitor? I’ll have to use a telescopic ladder and be careful not to slip and fall four stories down, but I think it will be nice to be alone in a long chair with a glass of wine.

Or maybe I’ll give in and sacrifice my introvert ways and join the others…
 

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
9,529
Location
Montréal
SL Rez
2007
Isabeau, please don't go on the roof. Seriously.
No worries, it’s a flat apartment building roof, not slanted. A couple of years ago, the last janitor and I painted all the vents and ducts (rust) so not really dangerous unless you step too near the edge. I guess.

But yes, I’ll be careful on the evil stepping thing ladder.
 
  • 1Hug
Reactions: Cindy Claveau

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,254
SL Rez
2006
But yes, I’ll be careful on the evil stepping thing ladder.
I assumed it was a flat roof (and you weren't completely insane), but it was specifically the ladder that gave me the heebie-jeebies. I've lost one friend to climbing stairs (he fell and severe head injury killed him) and then Mrs. Beebo had a ladder collapse under, her resulting in broken bones and smushed nerves that haven't healed yet.

So I worry. Be careful.
 

Sid

Member from the past.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,133
Some of our group have had to change plans for work and such, so I’m thinking of just viewing it from atop my roof. We’re not allowed to go there (accès is from a trap door that is above the indoor emergency stairwell) but who’s gonna stop me? Me, the janitor? I’ll have to use a telescopic ladder and be careful not to slip and fall four stories down, but I think it will be nice to be alone in a long chair with a glass of wine.

Or maybe I’ll give in and sacrifice my introvert ways and join the others…
[worry mode]
Just make sure that you will not be locked out somehow when on the roof.
[/worry mode]
 

Zaida Gearbox

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
1,379
This is the first eclipse that it hasn't been overcast where I am. I need to find out what time it's supposed to start here. I predict my employer is going to be pissed by the number of people who abandon the phones to go outside for a few minutes.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: GoblinCampFollower

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
10,703
Location
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
65535
42.5% coverage for me. Not a whole lot, but it'll start at 10:10am, peak at 11:14am, and end at 12:21pm.