April 8 Eclipse and Freakout

Cindy Claveau

Radical Left Degenerate
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
3,488
Location
US
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
44403
A total solar eclipse is coming to North America on April 8.

Salvaged from /Reddit:

I have a few christian neighbors throwing a glorified bible study "rapture party" that sounds like a neighborhood tailgate or something for the eclipse. It's all kinds of weird.

I'm not social, but my number is on the neighborhood call list for emergencies (usually I just check on people's pets if they're out of town or something), but all Easter I got spammed with the "he is risen!" BS and all this week it's been "we are about to rise with them!"

I have no idea what denomination these people are, nor where they got the idea a naturally occurring event that happens all the time is somehow going to magically beam them to another dimension. The level of desperation to "save" everyone would be endearing if the context was not flat out insane.

Anyway, I hope y'all have fun and wear eye protection or have your eclipse boxes ready to go if you plan on viewing it! Thanks for letting me rant.
"Even if you stand just a little bit outside the path of totality, even if you are in the zone of 99%, the sunlight is still 10,000 times brighter than the Sun's corona," Zeiler said. "So it's impossible to see the corona unless you are truly inside the path of totality."


MORE: Why April's total solar eclipse will be a historic event in the US



Despite missing the total solar eclipse, Zeiler encourages all Americans to "step outside" on eclipse day.


"Enjoy the spectacle of the partial eclipse," Zeiler said. "Because that's still very interesting and brings you closer to the movements of the sun and moon — seeing the solar system in motion."
 

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
9,528
Location
Montréal
SL Rez
2007
I’m smack in the path \o/
We have our glasses and we’ll be “watching”.

Had no idea we’re also going to be zapped up into the heavens. Or rather, we’ll see the true believers around us get sucked up, leaving us heathens to watch in amazement. Double feature!
 

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
5,483
Location
Columbus, OH
SL Rez
2010
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
42
OSU campus is very close to totality. We plan on driving about an hour out of Columbus to get the full effect. I canceled class for the day so my students can see it.*

*They were going to cut class anyway, so I look like a good guy and I don't have to talk to a half empty room.
 

Dakota Tebaldi

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
9,976
Location
Ohio
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
16791
I've HEARD that the weather forecast is looking possibly lousy for a whole lot of the path. I hope that's not true!

I live in a 95% coverage area so I won't get the full effect but it should look absolutely yummy. I got some glasses and also a little filter for my phone camera, if I'm lucky I might get a good shot!
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Dakota Tebaldi

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
9,976
Location
Ohio
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
16791
I mean...the Sun IS translunar, after all...
 

Dakota Tebaldi

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
9,976
Location
Ohio
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
16791
Some outfreaking

"Speaking of X, Elon Musk changes Twitter's name to X. His baby's mother, Grimes, posted a strange image on instagram before covid that literally told us covid was going to happen, all the way down to the 3 injections. In that same image, a few rows beneath the covid 'prediction' is a solar eclipse. Under it, a flower between two dragons. 2024 is the year of the dragon. The lotus flower begins blooming in China on April 8th. The eclipse is happening on April 8th," the post continued.

"That is way too many coincidences for me to feel comfortable, along with the Deagel projection of a 225 Million person decrease in the US by 2025. It would appear some massive sacrifice could possibly be in the works."
 
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
6,768
Location
NJ suburb of Philadelphia
SL Rez
2003
SLU Posts
4494
It's around a 5 hour drive from here to the total eclipse so forget that. Here around Philly there is supposed to be about 90% coverage and partly cloudy skies so maybe I'll see something or maybe not.
 

Sid

Member from the past.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,133
I've HEARD that the weather forecast is looking possibly lousy for a whole lot of the path. I hope that's not true!

I live in a 95% coverage area so I won't get the full effect but it should look absolutely yummy. I got some glasses and also a little filter for my phone camera, if I'm lucky I might get a good shot!
If it is cloudy you will notice nothing. The nightfall will only happen where one has a total eclipse.
But 95% is cool to watch if you can see the sun (don't forget protection and keep the watching short).
The closest I've ever seen was 95% too.
 

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,254
SL Rez
2006
My part of West Virginia will get approximately 95% coverage, so what we see will greatly depend on the weather. Which is currently overcast and cold.

The next total eclipse of the Sun for West Virginia will be on September 14, 2099. Oh well.
 

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
10,701
Location
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
65535
I've heard that if you stand outside during the solar eclipse, it causes you to be vaccinated for COVID.
Only if you stick your butt in the air in the direction of the sun, spead your cheeks, and let all that ultraviolet light in.
 

Noodles

The sequel will probably be better.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,458
Location
Illinois
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
6947
The dumbest part of most of that.

It's all literally predictable and known.

It's not like the eclipse happening, for example, hasn't been known for a while. Heck I was planning this trip, during the last one.

Same for the Chinese New year thing.