2020 Disasters just keep on coming

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Explosion in Beirut
That's the one that's still bothering me. As Hezbollah is pretty much in charge of things there, you'd think a government of former bomb makers would hear the words "Ammonium Nitrate" and panic. Hell, just about any Oxide, Flouride, Chloride, or Nitrate makes me jump and I only had High School chemistry.

Yes, a bit of a joke here but I'm also kinda part ways serious. And yes, I know water is Hydrogen DiOxide and I know the chemical formula for salt but that changes nothing. It's still scary stuff. Anything referred to by it's chemical name and I either make a bee-line for the exit or I grab onto the material data sheet or safety data sheet or whatever it's called if I need to be near it. What were they thinking?

Edit: I said Aluminum Oxide at first.

Last edited:

Sid

Coffee lover.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
That's the one that's still bothering me. As Hezbollah is pretty much in charge of things there, you'd think a government of former bomb makers would hear the words "Aluminum Oxide" and panic. Hell, just about any Oxide, Flouride, Chloride, or Nitrate makes me jump and I only had High School chemistry.

Yes, a bit of a joke here but I'm also kinda part ways serious. And yes, I know water is Hydrogen DiOxide and I know the chemical formula for salt but that changes nothing. It's still scary stuff. Anything referred to by it's chemical name and I either make a bee-line for the exit or I grab onto the material data sheet or safety data sheet or whatever it's called if I need to be near it. What were they thinking?
Maybe: Good to have some in stock for future use.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
You mean Ammonium Nitrate don't you?

• 1Agree
Reactions: Soen Eber

danielravennest

SLU Posts
You mean Ammonium Nitrate don't you?
I think so. Aluminum oxide is what's used in some sandpaper and grinding wheels. Particularly nice colored pieces are ruby and sapphire gems. Impurities are what give it color. The colorless mineral is corundum.

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Don't forget that we almost had WW3 when Iran shot down that passenger airliner.

I think that was this year. And I think it was Iran. It's been like 20 years so my memory is hazy.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Don't forget that we almost had WW3 when Iran shot down that passenger airliner.
The more serious event though was the possible reaction of Iran after the killing of their general Soleimani. Since the worst case didn't happen this clearly shows that both countries, USA and Iran, have no real interest at going at a full blown war against each other in the Gulf region at the moment despite all spoken words of hate and vengeance directed at each other.

bubblesort

Herman Cain is now tweeting from beyond the grave that corona isn't that bad.

No, I'm not joking.

Maybe he's a zombie? He's also a brain surgeon, though, so he probably has impeccable table manners, for a zombie.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Herman Cain is now tweeting from beyond the grave that corona isn't that bad.

No, I'm not joking.

Maybe he's a zombie? He's also a brain surgeon, though, so he probably has impeccable table manners, for a zombie.

I think you may be confusing the late Herman Cain, a businessman, with Dr Ben Carson, a neurosurgeon.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Archer

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I actually looked it up. Surprised me as well.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
That is indeed water, not that H02 doesn't exist, it's just a very reactive radical.
How did the stupid boyfriend of the chemistry student die? He visited a bar with her and she ordered "A glass of H₂O" he did not want to sound stupid in front of her so he ordered "A glass of H₂O too" ....

Last edited:

Free

Nasty Hugs
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts