Some politicians are often using militaristic language when addressing the fight against the spread of the virus (notably Macron in France). One of our (ex) politicians noted how almost 90% of those on the frontlines were women in care/social services, in hospitals, hospices, elder-care homes, etc. yet the masculine form was always used. She was speaking about the discourse in French language of course (héros, anges gardiens, etc) but I couldn’t help seeing it in English also, just in more subtle ways. Anyhow, I found her comments about the way we use words like war, battle, fight, frontline, etc. interesting.
Also, I was reading this article about Vera Lynn just now. I’m not sure how many of you know her and the famous song “Well Meet Again”, the CBC used to sign off every night with “I’ll be seeing you” song. It’s sort of related to what I’m speaking about in how we view bravery, that it is something masculine, if you read what I’ve quoted,
The ‘Forces’ sweetheart’ and national treasure has died aged 103. The story behind her best-known song is one of romance and British pride
www.telegraph.co.uk