How COVID-19 is affecting society

Rose Karuna

Childless Crazy Cat Lady
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 24, 2018
Messages
2,490
Location
Central Florida
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
2007
Every Sunday my friend and I used to get up early and go to the farmers market together. At the market, the first thing we did was to visit a little mom and pop coffee stand and sit for a while just talking about our week. One day, another lady who also showed up every Sunday joined in our conversation and we all started meeting at the same time to have coffee and chat about life.

The three of us became good friends and we became good friends with the family that owned the coffee shop as well. This has gone on for about 3 years. Today I texted them and told them I was having coffee and thinking about them and sent them some pictures of my garden. They are both gardners. It wasn't the same though. We always loved wandering around the market picking up all those wonderful fresh and exotic fruit and vegetables and things like home made soap. We shared recipes and "how to" on all kinds of things, but more than that, I think we enjoyed just having each other to talk with about the crap that daily life threw at us that no one else wanted to hear about. We were each others sounding boards. I miss them terribly.

I'm also worried about how my friends who own the coffee stand at the market and recently opened a coffee shop in Hollywood Florida are doing. They are the quintessential family business. Both parents work at the coffee shop and their sons either work at the coffee shop or the stand at the market. It's 100% of their lively hood and right now, it's shut down. I SO hope they make it, they had a wonderful unique (non-Starbuck type) coffee shop that I loved.

Just reminiscing or as my Mom used to say "gathering wool". :coffee:
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
Some conspiracy theorists in the UK have been linking 5G sending towers with the spread of the coronavirus. So some towers have been burned by idiots believing those theories.

The British government is taking it very seriously, apparently:

Even on Friday, complaints to Facebook moderators about a group that appeared to encourage arson attacks on 5G masts received replies saying the page did "not violate our community standards" - although after the BBC contacted Facebook's press office it was taken down.

In normal times, social media platforms are very reluctant to curb what they regard as an essential part of their mission: giving people the right to free expression, however outlandish or unscientific their views.

But these are not normal times.

The government is effectively waging a war against a deadly virus, and keyworkers looking after vital infrastructure are facing abuse, possibly inspired by these social media campaigners.

That means there is now intense pressure on the likes of Facebook, YouTube, TikTok and Twitter to combat what one minister has called "dangerous nonsense" - and they will want to be seen to be acting responsibly, even if some of their users cry censorship.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
It is sad to learn that Covid-19 has claimed the life of Lord Bath, one of the more colourful (i.e. more or less harmlessly bonkers) members of the British aristocracy.


 

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
9,529
Location
Montréal
SL Rez
2007
The tweet I posted isn’t in English and highlights Quebec/Canada + Provinces/States (it was just posted after our premier mentioned results live during his daily briefing) but I found where he got the info from in the other link included if you are interested...



Not sure if I should be proud or embarrassed at our discipline (following gvt orders). Yessss master... whatever helps I guess.
 

Govi

Crazy woman yells at clouds
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
1,616
Location
North of Surf City
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
27.05.2009
SLU Posts
5294
The tweet I posted isn’t in English and highlights Quebec/Canada + Provinces/States (it was just posted after our premier mentioned results live during his daily briefing) but I found where he got the info from in the other link included if you are interested...



Not sure if I should be proud or embarrassed at our discipline (following gvt orders). Yessss master... whatever helps I guess.
Most of the states that have low percentages of mobility reduction were Trump states in 2016.
 
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Isabeau

Erich Templar

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
644
Location
UK

detrius

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
2,664
Location
Land of bread, beer and BMW.
Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
10065
There was a news report on the TV about the spread of the virus, and I noticed they were using a certain video game soundtrack as background music...

 

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
I suspect Pat Robertson doesn't get any sex, oral or otherwise.
He has admitted he was a selfish lover when he was young, or he is same-sex oriented, or just doesn't have a clue - because notice oral sex with men is just fine.