2020 Democratic Primary

Brenda Archer

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
2,135
Location
Arizona
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
12005
We appreciate global interest in our politics but may be a little sensitive just now about any sort of foreign intervention Such as trying to influence someone’s vote.

Like it or not, we’re making a decision that affects the whole world, not just ourselves.

Of course people are going to care about that.

I’d rather hear from real people than the corporate media circus.
 

Pamela

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,515
Location
Austin
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
2009
Like it or not, we’re making a decision that affects the whole world, not just ourselves.

Of course people are going to care about that.

I’d rather hear from real people than the corporate media circus.
As I mentioned:

I appreciate and am grateful for global concern, I am very interested in global perspectives on our plight, and I know that it is permissible here to share opinions. I am expressing my opinion that some ways of voicing opinions to traumatized Americans may not be helpful.
 

Dakota Tebaldi

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
9,971
Location
Ohio
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
16791
Usually - no, honestly, every single other time I've done it - I have no problem acknowledging that Beebo is right about something. But tonight I have to say it really is painful that I now have to agree with her that Warren is done. Tonight proves it beyond much of a shadow of a doubt. She got a couple handsful of delegates tonight, fine; but the only state she made even a remotely competitive showing in was Massachusetts, and she still only got third place there. And it was her home state. I can't even take solace in Bloomberg's lolwin because at least he won somewhere, and he beat Warren in a number of states.

It hurts because yeah I waffled for most of the campaign so far, but a little while ago I did finally settle on Warren as my nom. And I donated a little bit. Well, it's pretty much a two-man race now; but my state's primary is still a little ways off, so I have plenty of time to decide where to put my vote.
 

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
Joined
Dec 24, 2018
Messages
3,540
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
0
And while Bernie wasn't actually my first pick, I early-voted for him (AZ) because I sort of figured things would boil down this way and while I'm not an all-out Bernie-bro, I'm really 'meh' about Biden. So I decided to do a pre-emptive anti-Biden vote, FWIW.

Now to just watch the countdown of Biden vs Sanders, then eventually see if whichever of them gets it can actually take down Trump.
 

Brenda Archer

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
2,135
Location
Arizona
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
12005
As I mentioned:

I appreciate and am grateful for global concern, I am very interested in global perspectives on our plight, and I know that it is permissible here to share opinions. I am expressing my opinion that some ways of voicing opinions to traumatized Americans may not be helpful.
I haven’t seen anyone trying to poke at trauma. Quite the contrary, all the worries cross borders and can be heard from anybody.

We can expect Europeans to have opinions that in the US would put them on the left side of the Democrats. This is hardly unusual here.

I’ve been looking at the AP graphs and, very roughly, a fourth of people in California and Massachusetts consider themselves “very liberal.” These are Sanders and Warren voters. In Europe they would be average centrists.

America’s trauma is, straight up, the legacy of colonialism and racism, now repackaged as an abusive religious belief. We must face it. It’s no good to treat this thing as being too painful to look at.

We don’t have time.

Edit: a fourth of the Democrats, I mean.
 

Cristalle

Lady of the House
Joined
Sep 24, 2018
Messages
1,376
Location
Flori-duh
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
2903
This shit is risible.

Your "facts" are actually opinion pieces from people trying to rile up emotions. Some of them are from men who aren't actually democrats, and I'll say again, you aren't a Democrat either. Go on tell me who you voted for in past presidential elections and primaries as an "Independent". That goes for Ishina, Aeon, Anya, and Darnk too. It's a trust thing. You say you can't trust the "sell-out centrists"? Well how do I know that you're not just trolling autistic-libertarian-tech-bros who want to break the system for lulz, like I have seen on Slashdot.
You know, I had to look up wtf an "edgelord" was and you know, it's not ME spending too much time on the Internet. Slashdot? wtf? Are you stuck in the 90s? Then Biden's politics are perfect for you.

Their opinions are actually more useful than yours, because more often than not, they actually have facts - often in video form - and not delusions like some of the stuff you wrote. But you can't parse those out. Instead you prefer to pitch a fit and scream because of their presence instead of discussing salient issues. Nobody is dragging your eyeballs across the videos to watch them. If you don't care to listen, then don't! But don't come with your ignorance later on.

When I say I don't trust people it's not because of personality but because of actions. Votes, advocacy, but mostly votes. You know, facts. Not personalities, not because "he's angry" or "I'd have a beer with him," not because of what supporters feel about someone. My head is not so far up my vagina that I can't see that sometimes people make bad decisions for bad reasons like pressure from donors or peers. My objections to candidates are all based on their records, the choices they have made while in power. It's the only way to rationally judge future performance. It's like being dumb enough to believe Bloomberg's apologies. Anyone who believes those must be really gullible.

As for having to explain shit to you? Go fuck yourself with a cactus. Political parties are not in the Constitution, I can do and say whatever I fucking please to participate in this democracy.

I'll say it again, I like Bernie, but I don't think he has the right temperament for the Presidency. I like Biden too, but I don't think he has the right temperament for the Presidency. IMHO they should have both said, "you know what, if I run it's like I'm trying to make Fetch happen" and decided to not run. As I've said, I'd love to see Bernie as Secretary of Labor and Joe as Secretary of Transportation.
That's your opinion and you're welcome to it.


Bernie could say the the things he did because he wasn't an elected official until 1981 and wasn't in Congress till 1991. He didn't have to deal with the political fallout. And even after he was in Congress, he had a safe district/state full of liberal gentrifiers.
Brenda did a great job explaining Vermont, so I won't repeat her corrections of your stunning ignorance. You have no idea what resistance Bernie faced as a local elected official. 1972? Unheard of to advocate against sexual orientation discrimination, and the 80s were not friendly to gay people. It's called courage, and he lost several races before he finally won Mayor of Burlington. His seat wasn't safe until he EARNED the trust.



How the fuck old are you? Were you a child in 2001? After 9/11 any Democrat who opposed intervention was branded a lover of muslim-terror who hated America and our Military. It would have been a tough vote for ANY Democrat who expected ANY competition for their seat. Bernie of course, didn't have to deal with any fallout, unlike a lot of other Democrats. Can you imagine the political ads that could have been used against Biden if he had voted against it?
Make excuses. We have interminable war because people who are always afraid. Someone has to do the right thing and say when the evidence isn't there instead of trucking along with lies.

Oh you know how certain people on VVO are, Bernie is a Saint who can do no wrong, and every Democrat is a Satan barely better than Trump.
Yeah, whatever. Dramatic much?
 

Dakota Tebaldi

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
9,971
Location
Ohio
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
16791
On the other hand, people who were worried that Warren was "splitting the progressive vote" seem for the most part to be proven wrong tonight. I can count three, possibly four states that Sanders would've won if he'd had every single Warren vote; but he would need literally every single Warren vote. If Warren's votes were shared between Biden and Sanders - which is more likely in my opinion - there would've been no difference. She seems to have averaged ~15% no matter who the state's winner was, even when the win was not close a close contest.
 

Pamela

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,515
Location
Austin
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
2009
[
I haven’t seen anyone trying to poke at trauma. Quite the contrary, all the worries cross borders and can be heard from anybody.

We can expect Europeans to have opinions that in the US would put them on the left side of the Democrats. This is hardly unusual here.

I’ve been looking at the AP graphs and, very roughly, a fourth of people in California and Massachusetts consider themselves “very liberal.” These are Sanders and Warren voters. In Europe they would be average centrists.

America’s trauma is, straight up, the legacy of colonialism and racism, now repackaged as an abusive religious belief. We must face it. It’s no good to treat this thing as being too painful to look at.

We don’t have time.

Edit: a fourth of the Democrats, I mean.
I am just saying that everything can be discussed without hostility. Would be more interesting, too. We have an international community with interesting perspectives on our global mutual situation.
 

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
15,358
Location
Cat Country (Can't Stop Here)
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
I am just saying that everything can be discussed without hostility. Would be more interesting, too. We have an international community with interesting perspectives on our global mutual situation.
You’ll need a moderated forum for that.
 
  • 1Scared
Reactions: Clara D.

Aeon Jiminy

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 9, 2018
Messages
489
One of the things I loved most about SL, when I joined years ago, was the Europeans. It was really refreshing. We probably wouldn't even be having a national debate about Medicare for All if it wasn't for the internet and people being massively exposed to these perfectly normal people across the globe who have many aspects of life to be envied by Americans. Some countries even provide cars to their disadvantaged citizens instead of expecting them to live in one.

The cat's out of the bag and there's only so many Donald Trumps and Joe Bidens left to cram down our throats. If our life is so great, there's no need to be threatened by people's opinions from other cultures. With all of our guns, drones, bombs, and nukes, we really shouldn't be that fragile.
 

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
937
Location
A virtual world. And Pennsylvania.
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
August, 2008
My conclusions are that the one person most qualified to beat Trump won't even get her chance, and most, if not all, of you didn't read the Mueller report.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,412
SLU Posts
18459
I was living in a council flat in Manchester, England, the granddaughter of Pakistani Muslim immigrants. Tell me more about what the world was like after 9/11.
Though, to be fair, from what I recall it was considerably easier for a British MP -- from whatever party -- to oppose the Invasions of both Iraq and Afghanistan than it was for a US Democratic senator facing re-election to oppose either of those military adventures.

That was the point Cronocloud was making, I think -- that US senators facing re-election had to be very confident indeed of their electoral base back home before voting against the war.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Pamela