WTF Climate Change News

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Boston harbor brings ashore a new enemy: Rising seas

Although Florida, Louisiana and the Carolinas are frequently associated with flooding, Boston was ranked the world’s eighth most vulnerable to floods among 136 coastal cities by a 2013 study produced by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.

The sea that surrounds Boston crept up nine inches in the 20th century and is advancing ever faster toward the heart of the city.

And as climate change accelerates, the pace of sea-level rise in Boston is expected to triple, adding eight inches over 2000 levels by 2030, according to a report commissioned by the city. The ocean might climb as much as three feet above 2013 levels by 2070, the report said.

Archer

Arch Enemy
SL Rez
Joined SLU
From the article
Boston’s low-income neighborhoods, where public housing projects were built on landfill, are particularly vulnerable to flooding. By the end of the century, a large part of the Dorchester neighborhood, which on its own would be the fourth-largest city in Massachusetts, could be underwater.
“If there is a finite amount of resources and a finite amount of time, we have to be intentional about protecting our most vulnerable residents,” Cook said.
I really hope they keep this intention and follow through. Usually it's the other way around - protect commercial properties and the "job creators" i.e. rich people first.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Very interesting observation from Sir Oliver Letwin, who I remember from university as the brightest guy I ever met there:

“I don’t know if you remember the terrible floods that besieged the Lake District during the coalition government? Well, when we finally got through those, I sat down with senior experts in the field, and I asked them: why are these events that are supposed to happen every year in 100 happening each year? And in that moment, I could see it in their eyes. How, they thought, can this minister be so ignorant?” He laughs.

“Very patiently, they began to explain to me what should have been blindingly obvious. If you have 1,000 places that have a one in 1,000 chance of flooding, it’s pretty likely one will flood every year – and even more so if they have a one in 100 chance of flooding. The statistics don’t mean what the layman thinks. If we’re going to avoid flooding, we must assume it is going to happen.”
He has a book out next month, Apocalypse How?, which certainly looks worth reading.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Very interesting observation from Sir Oliver Letwin, who I remember from university as the brightest guy I ever met there:
This touches on one of my arguments for the fragility of modern civilization. Technology has made us both incredibly powerful and appallingly vulnerable. In the not-too-distant past, basic survival knowledge was a commonly held pool of knowledge. Most adults in a group had most of the skills, even if not all, to build a fire, forage and hunt, grow crops, and make tools. We don't even have the deep memorization of culture that used to be standard in a pre-literate society.

Where some people argue that technology will "save us" from being knocked back to the Stone Age, I argue that it's precisely that technology that will be our downfall. You don't have to knock it out forever, you only have to knock it out for a few weeks or months and the chaos that ensues will take it all down from there.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
Wait, people in the UK deliberately burn unseasoned wood? :confusedcat:
We did in NH to set a slow burning furnace fire that would last most of the night. Dry wood will burn too fast. We didn’t have a backup furnace so it still took someone getting up at night to set a second fire to last to morning. This was with large green logs in a furnace much bigger than a wood stove.

Green wood in a stove makes a slow baking fire.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Plans for a third runway at Heathrow airport have been ruled illegal by the court of appeal because ministers did not adequately take into account the government’s climate change commitments.

The ruling is a major blow to the project at a time when public concern about the climate emergency is rising fast and the government has set a target in law of net zero emissions by 2050. The prime minister, Boris Johnson, could use the ruling to abandon the project, or the government could draw up a new policy document to approve the runway. The judge said ministers had not sought permission to appeal.

[....]

The court’s ruling is the first in the world to be based on the Paris agreement and may have an impact both in the UK and around the globe by inspiring challenges against other high carbon projects.

Lord Justice Lindblom said: “The Paris Agreement ought to have been taken into account by the Secretary of State. The National Planning Statement was not produced as the law requires.” He said the government had seen the ruling in advance but did not seek permission to appeal to the supreme court.