WTF Climate Change News

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Never gonna happen, but they plan to enforce the implementation of controls that prevent overtaking vehicles in no overtaking zones by 2023 (in short you won't be able to swerve out of the way and will have to hit people suddenly braking on your lane).

This new religion of unquestioned believe in the machine is really beginning to unsettle me.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
never gonna happen, but they plan to force the implementation of controls that prevent overtaking vehicles in no overtaking zones by 2023 (in short you won't be able to swerve out of the way and will have to hit people suddenly braking on your lane)
What's never going to happen? The UK, along with France and several other countries, has already set 2040 as the deadline, and motor manufacturers, local authorities and so on are preparing for that.

This announcement simply means they're hoping to advance the deadline by 5 years, to bring it in line with Scotland.

Do you mean that they'll need the extra 5 years (which is quite possible) or that the ban will, in your opinion, never come into force?

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Do you mean that they'll need the extra 5 years (which is quite possible) or that the ban will, in your opinion, never come into force?
I would place a bet that they will produce some "reasons" for deadline extensions way up until no one can afford petrol anways anymore...

See Germans exiting nuclear and coal based power generation on lessons on how "finding reasons" works. We could be rid of both by now, but we are not - because of "reasons".

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I would place a bet that they will produce some "reasons" for deadline extensions way up until no one can afford petrol anways anymore...

See Germans exiting nuclear and coal based power generation on lessons on how "finding reasons" works. We could be rid of both by now, but we are not - because of "reasons".
We'll see, I guess. My local Member of Parliament (Labour) is a former executive with (I think) Peugeot, and has a keen interest in the car industry, transport and green issues.

I receive updates from his office on his parliamentary work and, as far as I can see from following the business of these committees, preparations are already will in hand.

Whether the government will meet the revised, earlier, target is another question, but I would be very surprised if they "found reasons" to cancel the plans altogether, particularly since all the major British auto manufacturers, at least, are planning their production on these assumptions, and they (and the government) have already spent a lot of money preparing for the change.

It's one thing to decide to stick with nuclear or coal because the costs of decommissioning the old power plants and building new ones are too great, or building new power plants is taking longer than expected -- that's sticking with something you've got -- but telling manufacturers that they won't be allowed to sell new petrol or diesel powered cars after a particular date is something rather different, since even if the government change their minds later on, the manufacturers aren't likely to revert to old models when they've spent a lot of time and money on phasing them out of the production process and introducing electric and hydrogen powered ones, I would have thought.

Even if they find they can still sell cars powered by fossil fuels, at least for a while longer, they'll no longer be making them.

danielravennest

SLU Posts

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

As part of the strategy, Rose announced that RBS will also stop lending and offering underwriting services to major oil and gas producers that do not have credible transition plans in line with Paris climate agreement targets, which aim to limit global heating to below 2C.

The group is threatening similar moves against companies with more than 15% of their activities related to coal unless they have similar plans prepared. RBS also pledged to fully phase out coal financing by 2030 and is aiming to “at least halve” the climate impact of its lending activity by the end of the decade.

The value of loans to oil, gas and coal companies is relatively small compared to its peers, worth about £6bn. At its rival Barclays, lending and underwriting to carbon-intensive companies and projects totalled $85bn (£64bn) between 2015 and 2018, according to a study commissioned by campaign groups including Rainforest Action Network.

However, Rose said it was a step in the right direction: “On our balance sheet, only 1% of our lending is to the oil and gas sector, and in coal it’s marginal, down at 0.3%. But, for me, the key message here is we’re all going to need to work together; no one organisation is going to solve the climate challenge on their own and we’re very keen to work with business, with regulators, with industry to help make the plans to transition over the next 10 years.”

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

She and her co-author give two possible scenarios for the year 2050, worst and best case:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Earth’s tidewater glaciers – the massive rivers of ice that end in the ocean – may be melting underwater much faster than previously thought.

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
It was already so hot in Texas we spend summers cowering indoors unless we are in water or at the beach. This past winter I wore a coat exactly once, a pullover sweater maybe three times. We did have 1/8 inch of snow for few hours, but my trees and flowers thought Spring started in January.

Now waiting for August as if it was the guillotine.

Archer

Who knew?
SL Rez
Joined SLU
How Warming Winters are Affecting Everything

Still, winter warming can be seen almost everywhere. January 2020 was the Earth's hottest recorded January on average, compared with 141 years of temperature records. The four warmest Januaries have all occurred since 2016.
"Those changes are big," Arndt says. "We're not just watching numbers. We're watching changes in real people's real lives."
Here are some of those changes happening around the country.

• 2Sad
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Govi