Unforgivable Crimes Against Food

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
10,698
Location
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
65535
I toasted a cinnamon raisin bagel, spread some butter on it, grabbed my shaker of cinnamon/sugar mix and shook that all over the butter, then slid it back into the toaster over to brown and caramelize.

When I pulled it out and took a bite, it was disgusting.
I had grabbed my shaker of celery salt instead of cinnamon/sugar.

Spices in identical spice jars = FAIL
Oh, God, that just made my day! *hugs*
 

Da5id Weatherwax

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 22, 2018
Messages
131
Location
Edinburgh
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
08-20-2010
SLU Posts
1467
Returning to tomatoes, can I get a shout out for lentils (or beans) with slices of tomato?
Ok, how about this... lentils spiced with toasted mustard seeds and cumin, cooked in the minimum amount of chicken broth. Meanwhile take a generous handful of cherry tomatoes and cut them in half. Sautee thinly sliced onion and crushed garlic in a butter/olive oil mix with LOTS of freshly grated ginger and a couple of hot thai peppers. Add the tomatoes and plenty of lemon juice. Time this so that the tomatoes are only just starting to soften by the time the lentils are done. Combine and nom immediately :)

You can also add a little tomato paste at the same time as the lemon juice if you'd rather have the citrus/tomato/ginger mix be more of a paste than a "spiced oil with tomato"
 

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 24, 2018
Messages
3,343
Location
USA, upper left corner
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
10461
Just out of curiosity, where does this crowd stand on chorizo con huevos?
I hate getting them on my shoes.
"This is not an approved application of chorizo, nor of chorizo derived products. We apologize for any inconvenience."

- National Chorizo Advisory Board

Never had it. Sounds intriguing.
Wat? How is this even possible? I thought you were in the Central Valley. What has happened to that place? Are there no more super-funky cheap "six-tables-jammed-into-the-space-for-four" Mexican restaurants that serve breakfast? Did you get one of those "health departments" or something? Is nothing sacred??

Have a $1.98 adventure -- next time you're at the market, pick up a tube of beef chorizo:


Do NOT read the ingredients, nor the nutritional information. Just squeeze about a quarter of the tube -- about 2 to 2.5 oz -- into a frying pan, smoosh it up and cook it until it seems done (the smell is heavenly.) You might want to drain off a little of the -- ummm -- liquid before you throw in a couple of eggs and some cheese and scramble. When you get braver, you can use a half a tube. Want some veg? Add some canned green chiles.
 

Sid

Member from the past.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,133
Should one prepare that stuff close to a bin?
 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,671
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
Ok, how about this... lentils spiced with toasted mustard seeds and cumin, cooked in the minimum amount of chicken broth. Meanwhile take a generous handful of cherry tomatoes and cut them in half. Sautee thinly sliced onion and crushed garlic in a butter/olive oil mix with LOTS of freshly grated ginger and a couple of hot thai peppers. Add the tomatoes and plenty of lemon juice. Time this so that the tomatoes are only just starting to soften by the time the lentils are done. Combine and nom immediately :)

You can also add a little tomato paste at the same time as the lemon juice if you'd rather have the citrus/tomato/ginger mix be more of a paste than a "spiced oil with tomato"
Um...

Interesting, but it sort of takes the simplicity out of a side dish of lentils or beans with sliced tomatoes. 😙
 

Tigar

🥧 Because Pie 🥧
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
1,459
Location
Arizona
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
💨 💨 🥧
SLU Posts
420
Just out of curiosity, where does this crowd stand on chorizo con huevos?
There was a time in mai past when I refused to eat any Mexican food, just on principle. I’ve discovered lately that isn’t Mexican food I hate , it’s cilantro.
Nasty 🤢 damn stuff tastes like soap 🧼
 

Tigar

🥧 Because Pie 🥧
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
1,459
Location
Arizona
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
💨 💨 🥧
SLU Posts
420
I like tomatoes in salads, sandwiches, burgers, as salsa and as part of other recipes. But to eat one on its own, not so much. Maybe sliced, with a bit of sugar sprinkled on it, maybe.
Sugar? Nah, I like salt 🧂 on mai ‘mators. 🍅
 
  • 1Interesting
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Tigar

🥧 Because Pie 🥧
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
1,459
Location
Arizona
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
💨 💨 🥧
SLU Posts
420
The sperm donor I refer outa habit to as “my dad” had a garden in the backyard when I was about 13.
I useta go out there and pick ‘mators 🍅, radishes, cucumbers 🥒, melons 🍈, and etc , rinse ‘em off under de outside faucet 🚿 add salt 🧂, and just nom ‘em all up. *

* any bunnies 🐰 nommed was jus’ collateral damage n’ nothin’ personal
 
Last edited:

Sid

Member from the past.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,133
There was a time in mai past when I refused to eat any Mexican food, just on principle. I’ve discovered lately that isn’t Mexican food I hate , it’s cilantro.
Nasty 🤢 damn stuff tastes like soap 🧼
Is that Dove, Dial or more Irish Spring?
 

Ashiri

√(-1)
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
936
Location
RL: NZ
SL Rez
2007
SLU Posts
-1
, it’s cilantro.
Nasty 🤢 damn stuff tastes like soap 🧼
I know what you mean. It can really ruin a dish if overdone or if one is sensitive to it.
 

Maggy Hazelnut

Cat Herder
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
370
Location
N. Cascade Mtns
Joined SLU
March 2009
SLU Posts
1332
There was a time in mai past when I refused to eat any Mexican food, just on principle. I’ve discovered lately that isn’t Mexican food I hate , it’s cilantro.
Nasty 🤢 damn stuff tastes like soap 🧼
I've read that it's your genes that determine if you love or hate cilantro. There are quite a few news articles out there about that but here's one of them. Here's Why Cilantro Tastes Like Soap For Some People

My ex-husband loved that shit & when we were still married & I had a greenhouse he asked me to grow some for him. Apparently I have the "Hate Cilantro" gene cause when it was time to transplant the baby cilantros into individual pots it was everything I could do not to throw up all over the greenhouse. He had to finish transplanting them & taking care of them from that point on. I couldn't even stand to have the smell of them in my greenhouse. Awful nasty shit!
 
  • 1Thanks
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Tigar and Ashiri

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 24, 2018
Messages
3,343
Location
USA, upper left corner
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
10461
  • 2Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Sid

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
10,698
Location
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
65535
There was a time in mai past when I refused to eat any Mexican food, just on principle. I’ve discovered lately that isn’t Mexican food I hate , it’s cilantro.
Nasty 🤢 damn stuff tastes like soap 🧼
Sooo... I guess street tacos are out?