Coup in the USA?

Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
6,768
Location
NJ suburb of Philadelphia
SL Rez
2003
SLU Posts
4494
Difference in terminology, I think -- here you're either remanded in custody or granted bail, and if it's bail there's hardly ever any money involved.
Yes - bail == money here. There is also the odd twist that if you read someone is out on $100,000 cash bail it means they paid 10% of it and if they flee they need to pay the rest.
 
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
Yes - bail == money here. There is also the odd twist that if you read someone is out on $100,000 cash bail it means they paid 10% of it and if they flee they need to pay the rest.
Thanks. Here you have a right to bail in almost all circumstances, at least for a first offence (although it's generally granted in subsequent cases, too), unless the court finds there's a good reason not to grant it. No cash usually involved.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
Oh dear. Clients, eh?


The historical parallel that resonates a bit, though it seems odd to cast Biden as Peter the Great, is the Revolt of the Streltsy, at least in their grievances and xenophobia, and their eventual catastrophic defeat, though it is to be hoped that Biden will be rather more merciful than was the Tsar.
 

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
Oh dear. Clients, eh?


The historical parallel that resonates a bit, though it seems odd to cast Biden as Peter the Great, is the Revolt of the Streltsy, at least in their grievances and xenophobia, and their eventual catastrophic defeat, though it is to be hoped that Biden will be rather more merciful than was the Tsar.
On one hand, I agree being merciful is the way to go, but on the other hand, after four+ years of this shit, I'd not cry if he wasn't... I can be a little vindictive.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
I think fire and the knout are considered cruel and unusual punishments, though, and frowned upon as go-to interrogation methods.
True - also, well, I blame more the political figures who manipulated these people, and people like Limbaugh and Alex Jones, or at Faux - they are the ones who need to get slammed with the full extent of the law.
 

bubblesort

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 16, 2018
Messages
1,990
Thanks. Here you have a right to bail in almost all circumstances, at least for a first offence (although it's generally granted in subsequent cases, too), unless the court finds there's a good reason not to grant it. No cash usually involved.
Yeah, we've been trying to get rid of cash bail for years. It's so barbaric, even the American bar association opposes it, but it's difficult to change, because the bail bondsman industry is huge. I'm hazy on the intricate details of the finances, but from what I understand, the bail bondsman basically loans the money to post bail, then they charge interest on it, or charge a flat rate, which is non-refundable, even if you are innocent. If you don't show, they hunt you down and drag you to court. I think in most places, they are on the hook to pay the court the bail if you don't show and they can't catch you. They have even less regulations and training than cops, so they do all kinds of horrible things to catch people. It's all part of the prison economy that drives mass incarceration in America.

Some of the best local shows I've been to were to raise money to fight cash bail. I think most drag shows I've been to around here are fund raisers to fight it.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
Pains me to stand up for anyone foolish enough to wear a MAGA hat, but I think the students were misrepresented. There's longer videos showing a 3rd group at the scene being verbally hostile to the Native Americans when the students show up (iirc). From that perspective it looks a lot more like the students decided to show solidarity by standing with the Native Americans as almost a human shield between them and the 3rd group.

I'm not sure that Nathan Phillips saw the incident quite the way you do, at least not as it had developed by the time the photographs were taken. Seems to me that Nicholas Sandman, the student involved, was acting like no human shield I've ever seen, since he and his friends were all facing the wrong way if that's what they were doing.

Anyway, he's apparently sacked Lin Wood as his lawyer.

 
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Jopsy Pendragon

bubblesort

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 16, 2018
Messages
1,990
I'm not sure that Nathan Phillips saw the incident quite the way you do, at least not as it had developed by the time the photographs were taken. Seems to me that Nicholas Sandman, the student involved, was acting like no human shield I've ever seen, since he and his friends were all facing the wrong way if that's what they were doing.

Anyway, he's apparently sacked Lin Wood as his lawyer.

I read that the guys that kid was facing down were black israelites. IDK if you ever met a black israelite, but they are... extreme. Think black panther ideology meets Q anon. They think they are the real israelites, and white jews stole their birthright or something, so they want some kind of holy war against white people. I think they are black seperatists. I do believe that demonstrations should be loud and a bit wild, because if they aren't then what's the point? At the same time, Black Israelite demonstrations go too far sometimes. They leveraged that photo to great effect, but they were probably the agressors in this situation.

I hate to defend anybody in a MAGA hat, but in this case, I think the kid probably deserves some kind of compensation for the way he was portrayed in the media. His college admissions process is going to be hell.
 

Jopsy Pendragon

*Very* disappointed with 2026 so far.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,204
Location
San Diego CA
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2007
SLU Posts
11308
I'm not sure that Nathan Phillips saw the incident quite the way you do, at least not as it had developed by the time the photographs were taken. Seems to me that Nicholas Sandman, the student involved, was acting like no human shield I've ever seen, since he and his friends were all facing the wrong way if that's what they were doing.
I can't seem to find the same clip I saw before. I did find one that was posted from the BHI group, and it clearly shows that the Philips put himself between the groups, not the other way around as I had thought I remembered it.

I take it back, especially reading -why- he fired his lawyer. He's clearly a brainwashed MAGAt and a useless waste of something posing as human.
 
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
I read that the guys that kid was facing down were black israelites. IDK if you ever met a black israelite, but they are... extreme. Think black panther ideology meets Q anon. They think they are the real israelites, and white jews stole their birthright or something, so they want some kind of holy war against white people. I think they are black seperatists. I do believe that demonstrations should be loud and a bit wild, because if they aren't then what's the point? At the same time, Black Israelite demonstrations go too far sometimes. They leveraged that photo to great effect, but they were probably the agressors in this situation.

I hate to defend anybody in a MAGA hat, but in this case, I think the kid probably deserves some kind of compensation for the way he was portrayed in the media. His college admissions process is going to be hell.
Sure, but whatever he may have been doing some minutes before those famous photos were taken, he certainly can't have mistaken Nathan Phillips, the Native American activist, for a Black Israelite, can he?
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: bubblesort

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459


LOCK THEM UP!
Why not remand her in custody? If they have evidence that she's abusing her grant of what I can't stop calling bail, by using it to attempt to interfere with their investigation, then that would be a very good reason to pull it.

Let her representatives propose alternative conditions if they want, and then the judge can decide if they will meet the case or whether she has to remain in custody until the trial.
 

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
4,062
I think fire and the knout are considered cruel and unusual punishments, though, and frowned upon as go-to interrogation methods.
The thought of making them construct fortifications along the Polish-Lithuanian border like the Streltskys once had to do has a certain appeal, however. Strengthening Polish defenses against Russian aggressors would be quite suitable for them.

Build The Wall!!
 
Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
True - also, well, I blame more the political figures who manipulated these people, and people like Limbaugh and Alex Jones, or at Faux - they are the ones who need to get slammed with the full extent of the law.
Certainly I have no objections to banging up Limbaugh, Alex Jones and a whole basket of deplorable politicians and journalists in the dungeons of the Peter and Paul Fortress, or exiling them to Alaska (preferably making them walk there, if the Canadians will let the prisoners and escort pass through their country).
 

Arkady Arkright

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 12, 2018
Messages
814
Certainly I have no objections to banging up Limbaugh, Alex Jones and a whole basket of deplorable politicians and journalists in the dungeons of the Peter and Paul Fortress, or exiling them to Alaska (preferably making them walk there, if the Canadians will let the prisoners and escort pass through their country).
They could swim there instead...
 

Jopsy Pendragon

*Very* disappointed with 2026 so far.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,204
Location
San Diego CA
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2007
SLU Posts
11308
Sure, but whatever he may have been doing some minutes before those famous photos were taken, he certainly can't have mistaken Nathan Phillips, the Native American activist, for a Black Israelite, can he?
Clearly not.

I think the student was using Phillips to passive-aggressively snub the active provocation from the BHI's. "Look how much you don't matter, we're all focusing on this old guy with a drum. LALALALA can't hear you."

I think Philips' act was pretty damned noble and effective. Who knows what would have happened if he hadn't interceded to distract a mob of no-doubt racist white, entitled punks from a small group of deliberate agitators.
 
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka