Remember when McConnell was talking about how the Senate calendar is such that impeachment can be considered by the senate either 1 hour after Biden is sworn in, or 1 day after?
Now they are pushing it back two fucking weeks!
I wouldn't mind so much if Trump was sitting in prison awaiting trial without bail, but this is stupid. We need to get Trump taken care of. He's down there in Mar a Lago fomenting god knows what, while congress 'focuses on Biden's cabinet'. Trump must be removed from play, and put in prison, so we never have to deal with him again. This doesn't even have to take that much time. This has to be the easiest votes to whip the Senate has ever seen. They could convict the guy in an hour if they wanted to.
Once he's taken care of, we still have the issue of removing senators who serve in violation of the 14th amendment. That would probably take more time. I can understand wanting to take care of Trump's impeachment before getting to them. Will it happen, though? Seeing how they are all slow walking the Trump trial, I doubt it. I think the senators who provided material support to the terrorists who attacked the capitol are going to keep serving for a long time to come, because congress doesn't want to do their jobs.
McConnell is not the majority leader any more. There's nobody left to blame for this but Pelosi, Schumer, and the rest of the democratic party leadership.