2020 U.S. Presidential elections

Free

When The Onion asks, I answer.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden on Thursday night walked back comments he made to a group of Black and Latino journalists earlier in the day suggesting that “unlike the African American community” the Latino community is “incredibly diverse.”

“I made some comments about diversity in the African American and Latino communities that I want to clarify,” Biden tweeted Thursday night. “In no way did I mean to suggest the African American community is a monolith—not by identity, not on issues, not at all.”

Biden also said that he would “never stop fighting for the African American community.”

Cindy Claveau

SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
I've taken a break from here, too. I used to post things that didn't fit in the primary or presidential threads separately, or to nobody cares, and I thought I'd find Jamaal Bowman news there. When I didn't see it, it became a test of how long before the supposedly progressive and well informed VVO even notices, and I figured you were doing the same. I probably shouldn't have expected Bowman and Bush to be discussed here, but when the lack of a Bowman mention dragged on for weeks I wondered if MSNBC had even mentioned him. They have, so certainly everyone has, and it's curious that it wasn't newsworthy among VVO's regulars.
I pay attention to politics almost every waking minute of the day, and while Bowman's win was big it does not affect my state at all. Instead, after I give money to Dem candidates and even have campaigned for them (pre-quarantine), I vote reliably at every chance. I never considered it my job to inform others on the internet, nor to bring up a race I'm not involved in.

In Kansas, the Repubs just bounced Crisco Box (Kris Kobach) and Steve Watkins. That's huge where I am, though it's the GOP primary. I'll be doing everything within my power to get Michele de la Isla (D) in office.

bubblesort

As far as I know, before your mention, nothing at all was said on VVO about Jamaal Bowman's upset victory. Bernie supporters were calling it the AOC mement of 2020. When it appeared that he had won I came to VVO to see if he had been mentioned. I came days later when it was more certain he had won. I came here when his victory was official. Crickets.

I thought for sure that a group of people who were both progressive and informed by more than MSNBC would know about Jamaal and would be excited by his victory. Crickets.

I came here just now to see if Cori Bush rated a mention. Crickets.
I know I'm probably not the most popular person around here to go making threads, but in response to the conversation here, I went ahead and posted one.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
I probably shouldn't have expected Bowman and Bush to be discussed here, but when the lack of a Bowman mention dragged on for weeks I wondered if MSNBC had even mentioned him. They have, so certainly everyone has, and it's curious that it wasn't newsworthy among VVO's regulars.
Instead of treating this as some kind of Anya Ristow purity test for the VVO members that we have failed, why not jump in and tell us why you were excited by these events and provide some context for what it means.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

We already know that Trump will use the run-up to the election to spread disinformation online, because he’s already doing it—forcing social media companies to take action against his false claims about COVID and mail-in ballots. But what if he pushes false and dangerous claims in the period between election day and whenever votes are tallied? Are Facebook and Twitter ready to take appropriate action if Trump charges that the election results are invalid or prematurely declares himself the winner? And will that be enough to keep him from undermining the results, as he’s suggested he will?

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
I know I'm probably not the most popular person around here to go making threads, but in response to the conversation here, I went ahead and posted one.
Your thread will be completely missed, of course, by everyone unable to scroll past your posts of their own volition. But thanks for putting it up.

• 1Like
Reactions: bubblesort

bubblesort

Your thread will be completely missed, of course, by everyone unable to scroll past your posts of their own volition. But thanks for putting it up.
LOL, yeah, everyone's a critic. I'm just kind of surprised that nobody else started a thread before I did.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
LOL, yeah, everyone's a critic. I'm just kind of surprised that nobody else started a thread before I did.
Social distancing works wonders.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
People often say here that the US is more like many countries so I would imagine local stuff from elsewhere, even when many are aware of it happening, are less posted about since we aren't that many here, some news is less likely to make it in a thread.

Honestly though, fuck right off with this passive aggressive ''I guess people here don't care or are not progressive or are too stupid to not have posted about something I want to talk about''.

I don't post much but dang, I sure dislike the posters here....

I dont give a fuck enough about anyone here to be interested in the happenings in the Nobody Cares community thread (and the fun threads, and the myriad of other threads), but it pisses me off nobody cares about what I care about...

You all haven't mentioned something so obviously you all need to be told about this news... *flips hair*

If you need a break, take it. If you think we are all so beneath you, leave. Don't ask of others what you don't freely give in return.

I'm hungry right now so no fucks given if this is not passive aggressive enough

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I think after this, we should consider an amendment to keep people from specifically running as a spoiler, to help another candidate win.

That's BS.

• 1Disagree
Reactions: Soen Eber

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
The two-party system is not a Constitutional feature, and anyone can run. That's what it means to be in a democracy. So sorry people don't like it, but that's just reality. If the margins are so thin that a spoiler will toss an election, that's not voters' fault, it's the candidate's fault and the party should put forward better candidates. The idea of banning third party people from running is patently ridiculous, regardless of the reason for their running.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Soen Eber

Free

When The Onion asks, I answer.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I think after this, we should consider an amendment to keep people from specifically running as a spoiler, to help another candidate win.
Would only work if everyone who ran such a campaign were as witless forthcoming as Kanye.

(Meanwhile, it's obvious Kanye is dealing with some sort of mental illness. If the people around him REALLY cared for him, they'd get him to get help. But then I expect too much from selfish assholes.)

bubblesort

That's BS.
I get that reasoning, but I don't like where it leads. This is the reasoning behind why they make it harder for 3rd parties to get ballot access. They have to gather more than twice as many signatures in some areas, like where I am, and they don't get federal matching funds. Even if you don't like any of the third parties, you have to admit, that's just unfair. Our votes are not owned by the two major parties, so third parties can't steal votes from the big 2. If anything, limiting 3rd parties is an example of the Republicans and Democrats disenfranchising us voters. It's voter suppression.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I get that reasoning, but I don't like where it leads. This is the reasoning behind why they make it harder for 3rd parties to get ballot access. They have to gather more than twice as many signatures in some areas, like where I am, and they don't get federal matching funds. Even if you don't like any of the third parties, you have to admit, that's just unfair. Our votes are not owned by the two major parties, so third parties can't steal votes from the big 2. If anything, limiting 3rd parties is an example of the Republicans and Democrats disenfranchising us voters. It's voter suppression.
The problem comes into play if and when one of the two major parties is sponsoring and working with said third party TO be a spoiler.

Like this: PolitiFact - Yes, a Trump lawyer helped Kanye West try to get on Wisconsin’s ballot

Last edited:

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Canada to impose $3.6B in tariffs in response to Trump's move against Canadian aluminum

Canada's list of potential targets threatens to hit politically sensitive areas — namely, states critical to U.S. President Donald Trump's re-election.

A disproportionate number of the more than five dozen items on Canada's potential hit-list are from key U.S. election swing states, including paint dyes and aluminum waste, for which Michigan is a top exporter to Canada; refrigerators and bicycles, for which Wisconsin is the lead exporter; and aluminum powders and bars from Pennsylvania.

Canadian officials insisted the list wasn't drawn up with the U.S. election in mind.
Now THAT's how you do passive-aggressive. :sneaky: