2020 U.S. Presidential elections

Anya Ristow

Bernie Bro
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
In large part the folks who complain about the presidential race are mostly quiet about this. For example, very little has been said about important victories like Jamaal Bowman's upset primary win.
As far as I know, before your mention, nothing at all was said on VVO about Jamaal Bowman's upset victory. Bernie supporters were calling it the AOC mement of 2020. When it appeared that he had won I came to VVO to see if he had been mentioned. I came days later when it was more certain he had won. I came here when his victory was official. Crickets.

I thought for sure that a group of people who were both progressive and informed by more than MSNBC would know about Jamaal and would be excited by his victory. Crickets.

I came here just now to see if Cori Bush rated a mention. Crickets.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Aeon Jiminy

Isabeau

Merdeuse
we need a question mark reaction

please elaboratre more on this - sounds fascinating, but I have no idea what you are implying to (yet)
I think it may mean that republican voters, many of which are one issue voters (abortion, guns, blah blah) will be swayed to vote once again for him even if they were now thinking of not voting (because even for them he is starting to turn them off) or voting third party or voting for Biden.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
I think it may mean that republican voters, many of which are one issue voters (abortion, guns, blah blah) will be swayed to vote once again for him even if they were now thinking of not voting (because even for them he is starting to turn them off) or voting third party or voting for Biden.
The investigation of the NRA -- which is valid and probably long over-due -- will nonetheless be spun into a rabid eye-whirling conspiracy theory of Democrats and Biden coming after people's guns, as prelude to rounding them up for concentration camps.

The timing really really sucks, because the Right Wing will frame this as a political attack against Trump and Trump's base. even though it has nothing to do with the upcoming election.

Anya Ristow

Bernie Bro
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
If Biden had half a brain he would pick somebody like Warren. His numbers are up now, but when Trump destroys Biden in the debates, he's gonna need somebody to reach out to all us liberals he's insulting right now.
Biden's VP pick will almost certainly be POTUS47. Assuming Biden is POTUS46. He's essentially picking his successor, and he knows it. More importantly, his donors, fellow ruling class elite, the Clintons, the Obamas, the oligarchs. They all know he is picking POTUS47.

There is no way in hell they will allow Warren anywhere near the presidency.

So...how confident is he that he will win? If he is supremely confident, arrogantly confident, delusionally confident, like Clinton, he will pick someone who will not help him win. His pick will be payback for a political favor, like Clinton's pick was. Or it will be someone who shares his ideology as closely as his "must be a woman" promise will allow. He has said he's willing to pick a Republican. Assuming he won't actually go that far, who is the most conservative, republican-like democrat that fulfills his promise?

But traditionally, before Clinton, a VP pick expanded the support base of the top of the ticket. A person from a must-win state. Someone who appealed to a weak part of the top of the ticket. Why Obama picked Biden is still googleable. It's not flattering.

Warren didn't even win her own state. And her state will vote for Biden regardless. And everyone who still supports her is already going to vote for Biden. She brings nothing at all to the table.

They wanted Kamala all along. They have an opportunity to still get Kamala for 47. Question is, is Kamala so weak she would hurt Biden?

My bet was Gretchen Whitmer. The Governor from BCBS fits the ideology of the Senator from MBNA perfectly. But I've been told she doesn't want the job. On the other hand, before this year, it was traditional for VP picks to be demure about seeking the office...

• 1Like
Reactions: bubblesort

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
The investigation of the NRA -- which is valid and probably long over-due -- will nonetheless be spun into a rabid eye-whirling conspiracy theory of Democrats and Biden coming after people's guns, as prelude to rounding them up for concentration camps.

The timing really really sucks, because the Right Wing will frame this as a political attack against Trump and Trump's base. even though it has nothing to do with the upcoming election.
Yes, this. The NRA as an organization DOES need to be taken down for any number of reasons including siphoning off their member's dues as well as being a funnel for Russian money, but the timing for this could not be worse.

Right wing news media, Trump and company are going to blare this as loudly as they can as an attack upon the 2nd amendment despite the fact that it isn't even close.

Reality doesn't matter to his base, nor many of the people who are glued to Fox News and other far right media sources.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes, this. The NRA as an organization DOES need to be taken down for any number of reasons including siphoning off their member's dues as well as being a funnel for Russian money, but the timing for this could not be worse.

Right wing news media, Trump and company are going to blare this as loudly as they can as an attack upon the 2nd amendment despite the fact that it isn't even close.

Reality doesn't matter to his base, nor many of the people who are glued to Fox News and other far right media sources.
His base is carved in stone. And we are carved in stone. Its not like many NRA fans were planning to not vote for Trump. Maybe a few Non voters are such big fans of getting fleeced by Wayne et al That they will bestir themselves to vote for Trump. Same with any October Surprise. It could be revealed Biden robs banks as a hobby and he would not lose a vote.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
His base is carved in stone. And we are carved in stone. Its not like many NRA fans were planning to not vote for Trump. Maybe a few Non voters are such big fans of getting fleeced by Wayne et al That they will bestir themselves to vote for Trump. Same with any October Surprise. It could be revealed Biden robs banks as a hobby and he would not lose a vote.
Yes, I suppose that when you consider that the outcome presidential election, at least, will turn on the votes of several hundred thousand voters in, at most, 10 or 12 states that are key on the various candidates' path to victory, the number of people whose vote may be swayed by this particular issue is probably pretty small.

I doubt today's announcement will make much difference one way or another to the votes of many actual NRA members, so "They're coming after your guns" may be better for enthusing the base than it is for persuading waverers, to my mind.

bubblesort

I don't think gun nuts are on the same page as LaPierre any more. They haven't been for years, for many reasons, but in a nut shell, they are sick of the corrupt, and/or incompitant leadership. The average gun nuts I know don't trust the NRA to advocate for the 2nd amendment any more. The loudest voices in my orbit who are cheering on the case against the NRA are people who were NRA members a decade ago. I am sure there are a few hardcore NRA people out there, but I think they are a minority in the gun community. I doubt that most of Trump's base cares too much about the NRA, either.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
As far as I know, before your mention, nothing at all was said on VVO about Jamaal Bowman's upset victory. Bernie supporters were calling it the AOC mement of 2020. When it appeared that he had won I came to VVO to see if he had been mentioned. I came days later when it was more certain he had won. I came here when his victory was official. Crickets.

I thought for sure that a group of people who were both progressive and informed by more than MSNBC would know about Jamaal and would be excited by his victory. Crickets.

If there was a separate thread for Congressional races, then that would be the appropriate place to put it. Not a presidential election thread. It may be in Nobody Cares, but I myself take my breaks from this place and celebrated those wins elsewhere.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Aeon Jiminy

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts

What exactly prevents you from starting a thread for discussing congressional races, democratic primaries and so on?

I mean, I'm just an outsider who doesn't even live in the USA and has somewhat of a top-down view of US politics (meaning the upper parts of the US government are more visible to me than local politicians, representatives etc.) - but if I wanted to talk about things that don't fall under an already existing topic, I'd just start a new conversation.

Last edited:

Anya Ristow

Bernie Bro
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
If there was a separate thread for Congressional races, then that would be the appropriate place to put it. Not a presidential election thread. It may be in Nobody Cares, but I myself take my breaks from this place and celebrated those wins elsewhere.
I've taken a break from here, too. I used to post things that didn't fit in the primary or presidential threads separately, or to nobody cares, and I thought I'd find Jamaal Bowman news there. When I didn't see it, it became a test of how long before the supposedly progressive and well informed VVO even notices, and I figured you were doing the same. I probably shouldn't have expected Bowman and Bush to be discussed here, but when the lack of a Bowman mention dragged on for weeks I wondered if MSNBC had even mentioned him. They have, so certainly everyone has, and it's curious that it wasn't newsworthy among VVO's regulars.

Last edited:

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
“However, like the words of so many other insecure bullies, President Trump’s comments reveal more about him than they do about anyone else,” Biden continued. “They show us a man willing to stoop to any low for political gain, and someone whose actions are completely at odds with the values and teachings that he professes to believe in.”

The Democratic candidate pointed at Trump’s decidedly un-Christian actions during his presidency, such as separating migrant children from their families at the southern border and having peaceful protesters near the White House teargassed so he could take his infamous photo-op featuring him waving a Bible in front of St. John’s Church.

“As I’ve said so many times before, we’re in the battle for the soul of our nation,” Biden said. “And President Trump’s decision today to profane God and to smear my faith in a political attack is a stark reminder of what the stakes of this fight truly are.”

Cindy Claveau

Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts

Seeing no other mentions, why didn't you mention them?

Cindy Claveau

Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
I admit I'm not posting as much as I did long ago, but unless Cris made new rules, there's nothing stopping any of us from starting new threads about politics in "Politics Religion and Society". I don't understand complaints about other people not mentioning certain events.

Anya Ristow

Bernie Bro
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
My picks: Rice, Whitmer, Harris, in that order. Not my preference, just my prediction. The delay is likely his committee trying to talk him into Harris, or Whitmer insisting she's not interested, but his preference is likely Rice or Whitmer. Maybe someone not even on the radar.

This being 2020, though, it might be Clinton.

• 1LOL
Reactions: Cindy Claveau

Spirits Rising

Voice of Reason/Quite Blunt
SL Rez
Joined SLU
08/24/2014
SLU Posts
Seeing no other mentions, why didn't you mention them?
I admit I'm not posting as much as I did long ago, but unless Cris made new rules, there's nothing stopping any of us from starting new threads about politics in "Politics Religion and Society". I don't understand complaints about other people not mentioning certain events.
If it's the usual crowd you're responding to ...

As if they'd deign to bring anything to the less woke peasants below them.

• 1bag of dicks
Reactions: Cristalle