What is your earliest memory of Second Life?

SL Rez
SLU Posts
I may well still be the only Beathag in SL. (Beathag means "child of life" (feminine - a male would be Beathan) in Scots Gaelic. I'm still short, freckled, and have ginger hair.
Seems not.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
I read about SL in a "diary" series on spiegel.de - and got curious to try it out myself. Then in the night from Feb 8th to 9th 2008, I created this avatar. And only a half hour of sim-hopping later, I got my first good-quality outfit - given to me by a Mentor from The Shelter as a gift.

Months later I saw by chance that this outfit was sold for 600L$, by the same person. o_O

I started to invest RL money I think early summer '08, in order to get a decent look - and eventually, I've been spending approximately EUR25 each month over all these years for SL. Mostly clothes, but also other stuff: Hair, shoes, texture packs, Houses, furniture, Land rent (from time to time), etc - oh, and clothes. :D

A few months ago, I dumped and boxed most of the older prim stuff, thus decreasing my inventory from ~120.800 items to more handy ~70.0000 items
:eek:

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

EmpressOfCommunism

Feted Inner Collective Farmer <3
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Playing Activeworlds with my mother, this was when SL was really starting to take off:

"I tried this new secondlife thing . It's like activeworlds except better, but I won't play until you can when you're older".

• 1Like

Mark

SL Rez
Joined SLU
In 2007, I read an article published in my local newspaper about a young kid on the teen grid, when it still existed, that made $2K usd/week selling digital furniture. I was about 18 years old and my dad said "this is something you could do" and I ended up joining the adult grid. Our family computer couldn't handle SL and that was that for a year.

I created my main account for SL shortly after in 2008 after purchasing my own laptop that was able to run it. Been on ever since. :)

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I was active in Sims Online when I heard about SL from some of the other sims I hung with. I looked into creating an account, but they wanted my credit card information, and I just couldn't afford a monthly SL subscription along with my TSO subscription, so that was the end of that. Until 2008, when EA announced the closure of TSO. A bunch of the people I was with talked about meeting up in SL, so I gave it another look, and was relieved that they allowed free accounts by then. So I created an account, created a (rather butt-ugly) avatar, and wandered around Newbie Island for a bit until one of my TSO mates teleported me to their home, a sandy island with a multi-story apartment building everyone lived in. We formed into a family and moved around together. Being part of a family in SL was a lot of fun and kept me logging in. With some of my sisters' help, I bought a nicer shape and skin, and got a job dancing at one of the clubs we all hung out at.

Jopsy Pendragon

Magic thrives within Intentionality
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
First time I was on Second Life was from the Apple Store in the mall. A friend had been trying to get me to try it for a few weeks. I glanced previously but had such a terribly disappointing experience with VRML that, well, once bitten, twice shy, and all that.

Needless to say I was impressed with how quickly the client downloaded, installed and just worked without gobs of set-up and unpacking and building and compiling and blah blah blah...

I created Jopsy Pendragon that night, I think lifetime charter accounts were still available at the time, but I was still too cynical to grab one (huge mistake, considering one was about the cost of 2 months of tier at my current rate).

After that, it was building in sandboxes and hanging out on a beach in the northeast 'edge of the world' corner of Federal or Shipley, dabbling with utterly ridiculous looking avatars. Two weeks later I bought my first parcel from Stroker Serpentine in region Teal and I've been there ever since. =)

Willow Matthews

Watched a show in Australia called Beyond 2000. I'd just got my first crap computer in 2004 and couldn't log in with it. I knew nothing about how that worked back then. But the idea never left my mind. Two years later in 2006 I got a new comp that could just handle logging in, looked about on the net, found it and Willow was born. (I crashed. A LOT!)

I've never been able to find that show again, well not that episode. But it featured a lady making furniture and selling it. But more than that, it focused on the social interest with people around her.
I logged in and spent some time alone in an info hub for a day or two getting my bearing somewhat, and then met a chick ( I forget her name now) and she showed me how things worked. Went off on my own and met a bunch of people and ended up on Phreak Island without them, and met you lot. :p

I miss it. But I can't get Willow to be more than a cloud, or couldn't the last time I tried. That was Mads memorial. (Edit to add, meeting him was so wild and wonderful. A quiet little chat on a park bench that lasted for about four hours.) Haven't tried to log in since. But I'm glad for the time I spent in SL. Magical times. Many of them.

<3

Last edited:

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
I heard about SL from a friend who had a Doctor Who podcast. Every so often he'd have meetups in SL. The idea of taking to fellow who fans around the world in SL appealed to me so I gave it a try. My first av was the goth girl one, and as soon as I saw someone with the same avatar I went looking for ways to individualize mine further, taking it as something of a challenge. It was 2010, I think, not long before last names disappeared. It was a useful distraction from RL which at the time was write useful.
So my first SL memory is a Podshock meetup.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Let's see, I think it started with a Xena Fan online discussion group that morphed into just general lesbian/feminism. Two of the members were a couple, and they were active enough in the Elf Circle to own two sims. I was fascinated by what they described but back in 2005, I didn't have a computer that could run SL. I had to wait another year, and got a taste of it on my wife's iMac. I went crazy, built a gaming rig specifically for SL, and never looked back.

That first time I logged in to SL with my new video card and large screen monitor was GLORIOUS! It was just like stepping from Kansa into Oz.

Worthless Whore

This girl is worthless
Going to Lestat and not knowing shit about what was going down. Listening to a guy in Iceland play the best goth music ever while trying dance balls in the club and chat'n with cool peeps. I remember getting on a dance pole in a giant martini glass. Then going upstairs and finding all the freaky sex pose balls and "dungeon" items. True to my name I found a random guy to try some of them with, an we became good friends for a long time.

Last edited:

Worthless Whore

This girl is worthless
I kinda miss that guy too. He was the very first person I made friends with in SL. He was Catholic and damn did that mess him up. I like ta think that SL helped him loosen up.

• 1Like

Marianne McCann

Feted Inner Child
SL Rez
Joined SLU
06-01-2008
SLU Posts
A former boss of mine was Linden Lab's first marketing person way back when, and sent to all his acquaintances a note about this cool new thing he was a part of that was going into public beta "soon." I took a look at the information he shared, and it sounded interesting, but there was no mac client *and* it has a monthly fee. I saw no reason to check it out because of that.

(Oh, to go back and claim a beta account!)