VP Mike Pence: Be prepared to be shunned and ridiculed for being a Christian

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
Plus what is the appropriate response if your boss asks you to work on weekends? Do they get an exception if they are from a culture that is fine with it?
Well, the early Norwegian christian laws didn't involve killing, only fines (since, as everybody knows, 11th century Norway didn't have any tradition for violence) but the basic principle should still apply:
  • If a man is working alone in the forest on a Sunday, there is no penalty because he may well have lost track of the days.
  • If two men are working together in the forest on a Sunday, there is no penalty because one of them may have lost track and you can't expect the two to be sure who is right and who is wrong.
  • If three men are working together in the forest on a Sunday, they are to be penalized because it is not concievable that they are all confused about what day it is.
Edit: SInce I have your attention (possibly) can anybody tell me why the U.S. calendar places Sunday at the beginning of the week? Do they use a special edition of the bible stating that God rested on the first day over there?

Last edited:

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Well you know how hide-bound and traditionalist we can be here what with pounds and quarts and miles and all that. According to Wikipedia it's an ancient tradition tied to the Hebrew and early Christian calendars which always placed it as the first day of the week. Can't figure how that skipped over Europe, but maybe it might have something to do with your conversion to the Metric system what with your 10 day weeks - hard enough to remember seven days and then you had to go all primidi, duodi, tridy, ... and those new month names, Thermidor or what have you, I guess. We were fighting the British (again) when all that rolled around so we must have missed the update to the calendar system

That, and the British arrested the Frenchman who was carrying metric weights to Jefferson.

I thought you had seven day weeks over there? My bad, but it must make scheduling stuff with the U.S. kinda difficult, right? :p

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Edit: SInce I have your attention (possibly) can anybody tell me why the U.S. calendar places Sunday at the beginning of the week? Do they use a special edition of the bible stating that God rested on the first day over there?
The Jewish Sabbath (day of rest) is Saturday (technically Friday sundown to Saturday sundown). Thus Saturday is the 7th day, and Sunday the 1st. Christians later transferred the day of rest to Sunday, as that was the day Christ rose from the dead. Their most common time for celebrating the Eucharist as a group was therefore Sunday. But which day was the first day of the week didn't change.

Note that our days of the week come from a mix of Roman and Anglo-Saxon dieties: Sun, Moon, Tiw, Woden, Thor, Frigga, Saturn, with the Anglo-Saxon "dag" (day) appended. Thus Sondag, Mondag, Tiwsdag, Wodensdag, Thorsdag, Friasdag, Saturdag.

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
Most of europe uses the metric week but here in the UK we use the Fortnight which is exactly twice the size of a US week.
We don't really use metrics in Scandinavia either. The Norse people discovered toes fairly early in history, so we tend to think in base 20 rather than 10. That is, men often insist of using base 21, I'm not sure why.

Base 12 is also quite popular. There is a reason for it but you don't want to know, it's just gross.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Hey, I am still figuring out the inane method of writing down dates. Europe is a little better, but I prefer yyyymmdd. It sorts nicely for all dates between January 1 of 1000 CE and December 31 of 9999 CE.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Hey, I am still figuring out the inane method of writing down dates. Europe is a little better, but I prefer yyyymmdd. It sorts nicely for all dates between January 1 of 1000 CE and December 31 of 9999 CE.
I think we all should be using Julian days.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Plus what is the appropriate response if your boss asks you to work on weekends? Do they get an exception if they are from a culture that is fine with it?
I once did some freelance archival work for an organization that was controlled by 7th Day Adventists, and was specifically told not to work from sundown Friday until sundown Saturday.

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I am at the point in my life where I wish that we gave zero fucking deference to religious beliefs at all. None. Believe what you want, but it doesn't extend beyond you. No exemptions for "conscience" or "strongly held beliefs". Tax the churches, keep them the fuck out of politics and other people's lives and the world would be so much better.

PS - burn the Catholic Church to the fucking ground.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I once did some freelance archival work for an organization that was controlled by 7th Day Adventists, and was specifically told not to work from sundown Friday until sundown Saturday.
Yes, I can see them putting that clause in there but was that in the contract or just verbally told to you? I wonder what they would do if say, one of their buildings caught fire: would they not want the firefighters to do work to put out the blaze?

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Yes, I can see them putting that clause in there but was that in the contract or just verbally told to you? I wonder what they would do if say, one of their buildings caught fire: would they not want the firefighters to do work to put out the blaze?
The organization was a hospital. They made distinctions between time sensitive work like medical care and firefighting and work that could be done any time. It was their money so I didn't complain.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Kara Spengler

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I worked with a woman who was either Seventh Day, or related - she was off friday from sundown, to saturday at sundown. She was a really nice person, she did good work, and I guess the boss didn't mind being accommodating. Also, unlike JWs, her kids were allowed holidays, but they were biblical/Judaic holidays, not the ones stolen from us pagans.

Honestly, I don't mind religious accommodations if it doesn't hurt anyone. Wanting a specific day of rest? Okay, everyone should have one, just some of us care when for religious reasons, and the rest of us because we have plans. Its when someone tries to force their religious views on me in a negative manner... [I say that because the best thing about working at a Chick-fil-a, even though I was pagan, was knowing I'd always have sunday off, so could make plans accordingly]. Someone not wanting to eat something for religious reasons? More for me.

But then, I'm pretty much tolerant of most folks, so long as they don't abuse that tolerance. There are only a few things I'm -not- tolerant about, outside of intolerance.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
The organization was a hospital. They made distinctions between time sensitive work like medical care and firefighting and work that could be done any time. It was their money so I didn't complain.
Sounds right. I used to work in a hospital (although not 7DA). Basically they had a plan for EVERYTHING. The power was from multiple grids (plus a generator in the worst case scenario). Communications went from a network connection down to modems to sneakernet. A plan for what tasks could be delayed would not have been out of place.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer