VP Mike Pence: Be prepared to be shunned and ridiculed for being a Christian

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
Mike Pence tells Liberty University graduates to prepare to be 'shunned,' 'ridiculed' for being a Christian
Vice President Pence warned the 2019 graduating class at Liberty University in his commencement address that they would face persecution for their faith.

“Throughout most of American history, it's been pretty easy to call yourself Christian,” Pence told students Saturday, according to USA Today. “It didn’t even occur to people that you might be shunned or ridiculed for defending the teachings of the Bible.”

“But things are different now,” he continued, adding that “some of the loudest voices for tolerance today have little tolerance for traditional Christian beliefs. Be ready.”
Yeah, shunned and ridiculed...

Christian: Hi, I'm a Christian!

Most People: Oh? That's cool.

Christian: I believe Jesus Christ is my personal lord and savior!

Most People: Um, sure yeah, I get it.

Christian: We need to outlaw abortion and get rid of the gay people! Also, you're going to Hell for your wicked ways!

Most People: *shuns the Christian*

Christian: *turning to another Christian* See!? See!? They can't stand us!

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
And not the words or example of Jesus Christ?
Since he was speaking at Liberty University, I think we can safely assume (as, clearly, did he) that his audience must have filled in the blanks for themselves.

After all, isn't it proof positive that Christians are persecuted in the USA that not even the Vice President can, as yet, get away with telling his audience that he will always stand up not only for the right, but also the duty, to live and worship God according to the dictates of their consciences as defined for them by wealthy straight white conservative Evangelical Christian men?

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009

GoblinCampFollower

Yeah, shunned and ridiculed...

Christian: Hi, I'm a Christian!

Most People: Oh? That's cool.

Christian: I believe Jesus Christ is my personal lord and savior!

Most People: Um, sure yeah, I get it.

Christian: We need to outlaw abortion and get rid of the gay people! Also, you're going to Hell for your wicked ways!

Most People: *shuns the Christian*

Christian: *turning to another Christian* See!? See!? They can't stand us!
Evangelicals were raised being taught that early Christians were fed to lions. They are told that mass shootings like Columbine were attacks on Christians. They spread the story that one victim was asked if she believed in god then shot. This never happened, but they still regard this as a gospel truth. The Charleston shooting was also twisted into a left wing attack on a Christian church. Many were raised in small town echo chambers.

It's very hard to go from that background, to realizing that very few people want to attack Christians who are not attacking them first.

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
What these people don't seem to get is that it is perfectly possible to be a Christian without being a raging asshole. It's not only possible, it's the way Jesus himself taught it.
So in Matthew when Jesus talks about our right eyes and hands offending us, or in Luke when he discusses all the people in your life you should hate - including yourself, that's Jesus *not* being an asshole?

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
Om Hreeng Greeng Hreeng!

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
So in Matthew when Jesus talks about our right eyes and hands offending us, or in Luke when he discusses all the people in your life you should hate - including yourself, that's Jesus *not* being an asshole?
Do you have specific verses handy, that I can look at? I think I know what you are referring to and, if so, Jesus wasn't literally advocating hate; rather, he was trying to illustrate how hard it was going to be for his followers to follow him.

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I've been taught that the part about body parts offending refers to the process of forgetting about the body during meditation.