Viking Survival Game Valheim Explodes In Popularity

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
So this is like Conan Exiles except there's an actual story?

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
No mention of giant spiders or jellyfish of doom.
Theres 2 more biomes that have yet to release... one of them will contain spiders... they are on the map but nothing exist there yet and you can see the Giant Nope webs from a boat ride...

there will be an ocean expansion.....sailing into fog is scary enough on it's own. for now Just a serpent... and avoiding rocks and ice

So this is like Conan Exiles except there's an actual story?
this one is more involved... theres Raven thats talks for odin and teachers you things.... tablets that tell tales and tell you how to locate and summon bosses

A hooded figure appears on the map but vanishes when you get too close or far... supposedly odin watching you.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Clara D.

Sean Gorham

Verti's Minion Again!
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
2007-09-27
SLU Posts
Well shit I don't know. Most of the time I start the game and it will run at 15 - 20 fps for as long as I play. Then once in a while it will start up at 1 or 2 fps and nothing will budge it from that number.
Unfortunately, the game isn't optimized yet. I get slowdowns on my system in some places and the game will outright freeze up for a couple seconds whenever it autosaves. You might want to come back in a month or two. The devs are only five guys in Sweden so they're probably typing their fingers off pushing out fixes and such.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Essence Lumin

Ghost Pepper

Gaming Guru
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Unfortunately, the game isn't optimized yet. I get slowdowns on my system in some places and the game will outright freeze up for a couple seconds whenever it autosaves. You might want to come back in a month or two. The devs are only five guys in Sweden so they're probably typing their fingers off pushing out fixes and such.
How to improve PC performance in Valheim

As of the February 25, 2021 update (version 0.146.8), Valheim officially supports the Vulkan API. If you're not familiar with coding APIs, know this about Vulkan: it's a modern coding architecture designed to run more efficiently than older APIs. That means, on most PCs, using Vulkan should significantly improve performance without affecting visual quality. Just the opposite, in fact! Running Vulkan normally means you can crank up the graphics even higher while maintaining a playable framerate.

For note, this change will work better on some hardware than others. On my laptop, which runs an Intel Core-i7 6700HQ processor, 16GB RAM, and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M, Valheim normally runs between 22 and 24 FPS average on medium-high settings at 1080p resolution. Switching over to Vulkan without changing any settings brought that performance up to 30-32 FPS average.
You click on Play on the Steam Library page it'll give a choice to play with or without Vulkan.

I went from about 60 fps without it but about 70 fps with Vulkan.

Last edited:
  • 1Useful
Reactions: Sean Gorham

Imnotgoing Sideways

Puts the FU in Cute
Yeesh I finally defeated Eikthyr. I am quite bad at video game combat. If for some reason you would like to see me fumble around and finally get him here it is.

The only thing I don't like from the pickaxe is it looks like it only stripmines. Tried digging a tunnel only to make a reeeeeeeally deep canyon. (._.)

Kokoro Fasching

SL Rez
Domino Trees are a thing.. and deadly.....

The world is flat.. if you go to the edge, you will go over the falls, and die.. no way to recovery items from body.

Always keep spare food at your bed, for when you corpse run :)

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Khamon
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Domino Trees are a thing.. and deadly.....

The world is flat.. if you go to the edge, you will go over the falls, and die.. no way to recovery items from body.

Always keep spare food at your bed, for when you corpse run :)
I've run into the problem of no tombstone for my dead body twice. Now I run this backup .bat file each time I quit the game.

@echo off

for /f "delims=" %%a in ('wmic OS Get localdatetime ^| find "."') do set DateTime=%%a

set Yr=%DateTime:~0,4%
set Mon=%DateTime:~4,2%
set Day=%DateTime:~6,2%
set Hr=%DateTime:~8,2%
set Min=%DateTime:~10,2%
set Sec=%DateTime:~12,2%

set BackupName=%userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\IronGate\Valheim\backups\%Yr%-%Mon%-%Day%_%Hr%-%Min%-%Sec%
robocopy %userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\IronGate\Valheim\characters %BackupName%\characters /E
robocopy %userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\IronGate\Valheim\worlds %BackupName%\worlds /E

pause

Stora

SL Rez
When I die I open the map and mark and name where I have died with my items, should I die again on the way to pick them up, I know where my items are by the mark on the map.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
When I die I open the map and mark and name where I have died with my items, should I die again on the way to pick them up, I know where my items are by the mark on the map.
There is a bug where on rare occasion there is a marker on the map but there is no tombstone there.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Stora

Sean Gorham

Verti's Minion Again!
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
2007-09-27
SLU Posts
The adventures of Johnny Hotbody in Absville!
Josh from Let's Game It Out has the best vids. It's really worth subscribing to his channel - guaranteed laughs as he breaks games in ways nobody ever imagined!

SL Rez
SLU Posts
I never realized throwing campfires around was so lethal or possible among other things.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I think I know why Valheim is so popular: there's no zombies.

Yeah. Since I started playing, I've been watching videos about survival games like it. I was genuinely taken aback by just how many extremely similar survival games there are, and by how many of them have you defending yourself against yeah wildlife sure but ultimately primarily zombies (whether they actually call them zombies, or call them something else). Valheim is almost weird for not having them. I like it.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
I think I know why Valheim is so popular: there's no zombies.

Yeah. Since I started playing, I've been watching videos about survival games like it. I was genuinely taken aback by just how many extremely similar survival games there are, and by how many of them have you defending yourself against yeah wildlife sure but ultimately primarily zombies (whether they actually call them zombies, or call them something else). Valheim is almost weird for not having them. I like it.
Somebody made an article about zombie free survival games.