std::string str ("Nobody cares about development...");

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
The code was obtuse. Deliberately I found out later ...
Sometimes when really bored at work, I write my own programs that are really, really obfuscated. I do this intentionally so it's not obvious that they are childish dick and sex jokes to entertain me while bored, lol. ...been doing a lot less of that since starting my masters, but I look forward to expanding this practice soon! haha.

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts

She uses her thumb and forefinger to copy & paste. Ewww!
<joke>Mac user.</joke>

/me hacks the Gibson.

To be honest, jokes are about all I can contribute to this thread, since I am not a programmer/developer.

• 1Pie
Reactions: Free

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
To be honest, jokes are about all I can contribute to this thread, since I am not a programmer/developer.
I *am* a programmer/developer, and jokes are about all I can contribute to this thread, as well. :kittyball:

Jopsy Pendragon

Magic thrives within Intentionality
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
She uses her thumb and forefinger to copy & paste. Ewww!
First reaction: "What? Why? That makes perfect sense!"
Second Reaction: "wait... hang on... (watches fingers use pinky finger on the control key to cut'n'paste) ... Ohhhhhhhhh."

I have a mac & pc side by side and switch often. Apparently my fingers just automatically 'know' what to do, because I haven't noticed a difference in years!

• 1Like
Reactions: Kalel

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
First reaction: "What? Why? That makes perfect sense!"
Apparently my fingers just automatically 'know' what to do, because I haven't noticed a difference in years!
Same here, but I definitely noticed as her forefinger REACHED OVER HER THUMB to hit the C key. And then even more for the V key! Hell, she had better keyboard etiquette with her foot during the movie version!

• 1LOL
Reactions: Jopsy Pendragon

Jopsy Pendragon

Magic thrives within Intentionality
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Same here, but I definitely noticed as her forefinger REACHED OVER HER THUMB to hit the C key. And then even more for the V key! Hell, she had better keyboard etiquette with her foot during the movie version!
Yeah the 'c' key is a >middle< finger key, not an index finger key dammit!

The only time I suffered an RTS injury was with one of those thumb/index cross-over moves. Was gaming for hours a day doing some pretty intense stuff that had me basically leaning on my thumb/alt and stretching across to reach number keys for long periods of time.

I ignored the muscle fatigue and then -sprang- something went very wrong. Like fire in the tendon up my arm. Couldn't use the thumb at all for weeks, after which it had severely limited range of motion for over a year, and wasn't weakened for nearly two. It pretty much ended me as a 'serious' gamer. :( And now, fully mended, I just don't have the reaction speed that younger players do anymore. /whinewhine.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Khamon

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
I *am* a programmer/developer, and jokes are about all I can contribute to this thread, as well. :kittyball:
Also a developer who can mostly only contribute jokes... I mean... nobody wants to hear about my research into A* algorithms a lot of my other work is proprietary. So.... jokes it is!

I do take a minor issue with the "joke" that we only copy and paste from stack overflow... I think that joke gives comfort to some "devs" who really can't write their own code at all, lol. I have coworkers who can basically only copy paste code, and will beg other people to do it for them if they couldn't find the exact piece they needed...

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I helped a co-worker to write an expression parser once. I started pointing him at the pseudocode in a textbook (this was before stack overflow and google), and ended up converting the Pascal-like pseudocode to FORTRAN for him (this was not before FORTRAN or Pascal), debugging it, writing the API document, and so on. He asked me to write the documentation for the code review (this was before agile) as well, but I just put in one line "see page such and such of so and so". I figured he'd be able to rewrite that well enough to pass.

Apparently for his code review, that's all there was, that one line reference, and it was embarassing.

They made him a manager.

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
I helped a co-worker to write an expression parser once. I started pointing him at the pseudocode in a textbook (this was before stack overflow and google), and ended up converting the Pascal-like pseudocode to FORTRAN for him (this was not before FORTRAN or Pascal), debugging it, writing the API document, and so on. He asked me to write the documentation for the code review (this was before agile) as well, but I just put in one line "see page such and such of so and so". I figured he'd be able to rewrite that well enough to pass.

Apparently for his code review, that's all there was, that one line reference, and it was embarassing.

They made him a manager.
This would be funny if it wasn't so close to home... I've had coworkers who needed to ask for help anytime they needed to figure out date logic or if/then logic because they just didn't get it... and one of them in particular is also a manager... I swear, non technical people are ASSUMED to be better communicators, even if they really aren't. They can communicate with aesthetics, even if it's wrong...

I've also sometimes seen incompetent dev's do a good job of telling epic stories about how hard the work was, and this gets them credit with managers even if their job was actually very easy...

• 1Hug
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I'd be dead 2000 years ago so, nothing much.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Billboard in Silicon Valley:

• 1Like
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
I think I actually understand this one! Because he forgot to put "free" in the loop to free up memory that isn't being used, malloc (which is the memory allocator I think), keeps malloc-ing more memory as the loop repeats. Eventually the memory used exceeds a limit of some kind and causes the crash.