second life Show your Second Life Photos

Sep 19, 2018
a sunburnt country
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
But as far as specifics go? I've not a clue!
DoF and shadows can add a lot. There are also things you can do with post processing: colour correction, contrast adjustment and whatnot, that can improve things a great deal.

All that stuff however, is window dressing. Even if you can't run shadows, etc, or don't know much photoshop, you can do a hell of a lot with composition and cropping. I like to take photos at maybe 3x or more my native screen resolution, gives me a lot of room to trim away unwanted edges and refine composition. I also try and work with concepts like golden spirals and the rule of thirds when determining how my subjects are arranged within a shot. Grabbing a few composition templates you can use as temporary layers in your editor of choice is a straightforward change that can make a considerable amount of difference.

Brendarella

Oct 16, 2018
England
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes, I did.
The only pre-production work I tend to do to my photos is to crop them. Everything else looks exactly like I see it when I take the picture. SL is excellent when it comes to visualisation effects, I don't need to alter the images in any way except to crop them for balance and drama.

Brendarella

Oct 16, 2018
England
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes, I did.
My old hairstyle, 2009. In the 12 years I've been in SL I've only ever had two hairstyles, not counting the awful default 2006 one. I do have a couple more in my inventory, but I only use them for photo sessions.

Brendavision 16x9 examples (14)

Last edited:

OrinB

I'm here...
Sep 20, 2018
UK
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
DoF and shadows can add a lot. There are also things you can do with post processing: colour correction, contrast adjustment and whatnot, that can improve things a great deal.

All that stuff however, is window dressing. Even if you can't run shadows, etc, or don't know much photoshop, you can do a hell of a lot with composition and cropping. I like to take photos at maybe 3x or more my native screen resolution, gives me a lot of room to trim away unwanted edges and refine composition. I also try and work with concepts like golden spirals and the rule of thirds when determining how my subjects are arranged within a shot. Grabbing a few composition templates you can use as temporary layers in your editor of choice is a straightforward change that can make a considerable amount of difference.
I like adding a little subtle grain to my images (it gives them a more photogrpahic feel), but yes, colour correction, cropping, composition, camera position are all tools at your disposal that don't need really special skills or extensive post software.

I have a saved "ultra" setting that i use to maximise what i need from the settings and turns off anything that i don't need (avatar physics, linden tress, low draw distance unless i'm creating a big landscape, minimal avatar rendering, etc.) I even keep DOF off and only turn it on if i really feel it will help the image.

Kitty

Oct 7, 2018
In my opinion a good photo is made of three elements; Content, Composition and Lighting. All three of these work together to make a photo visually interesting. Standard stuff but of thousands of quick point and shoot photos are posted to Flickr groups every day where people are skimping on these areas. Focusing on the essentials will help guide you towards an interesting photo.
  • The camera controls pop out is good for letting you point with your mouse then moving around to slide your subject out of the middle of the frame and get some rule of thirds. To keep you sanity there are save and load camera abilities built into both Firestorm and Black Dragon so you won't lose your angle.
  • Mess with the FOV, Control 8 and Control 0 or the slider on the camera controls. Pushing in zooms in both your subject and background giving more detail to both and makes your picture look less like a screenshot.
  • Think beyond windlight. Projector lights are the best thing to happen to SL for photography next to bento and you can even attach them to your avatar for no rez locations. Windlight is a single light source so it will limit your options.
  • Look into photo backdrops and poses. There is a wealth of well made content here.
  • Try Anypose Basic or the built in avatar poser in Black Dragon.
  • Depth of field makes backgrounds look less like a videogame. Black Dragon has very high quality depth of field.

Do not underestimate the value Photoshop. It is incredibly powerful and not at risk of making your photos look bad unless you start slathering on brushes or high pass filters. Learning photo editing, color adjustment and masking will allow you to make pics that are much better than the original.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
a sunburnt country
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
I like adding a little subtle grain to my images
Grain is something I love adding to photos. I'm a big fan of lomo and lo-fi photography and adding grain is a must if you want to emulate analog photography (which is something I'm often looking for). To this end, I also do a bit of tinkering with the curves/histogram tools to mess with the colour output. Older cameras and film stocks weren't always perfect with they way they capture colours, then of course, there's the desaturation that comes with ageing. Adjusting the rgb curves goes a long way towards achieving the sort of look I want.

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
Oct 29, 2018
SL, Kitely, IMVU
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Not sure of date/postcount
I am a good pupper, I can go to de shows and sit nize in de chair like a polite hoomanZ. Charlemagne taught me...

I won 2nd prize in a costume contest tonight with this avi.
One step closer to living my secret dream life as a $L millionaire.

One random afternoon this week in New Babbage on a deserted street...

[22:43] Zoltar Cat Machine v1 whispers: I am the great Zoltar Cat, I will tell your fortune!
[22:43] Zoltar Cat Machine v1 whispers: You approach a crossroads with seemingly countless possible routes forward. You feel confused and heavy with the burden of having to choose the right pathway.
[22:44] Zoltar Cat Machine v1 whispers: Have faith in yourself and look for coincidences. The right path will light up. Look for a lucky kitty cat that will cross your lap.
[22:44] Zoltar Cat Machine v1 whispers: Your first lucky number is 58
[22:44] Zoltar Cat Machine v1 whispers: Your second lucky number is 7
[22:44] Zoltar Cat Machine v1 whispers: Your third lucky number is 43
[22:44] Zoltar Cat Machine v1 whispers: Your fourth lucky number is 34
[22:44] Zoltar Cat Machine v1 whispers: Your fifth lucky number is 27
[22:44] Zoltar Cat Machine v1 whispers: Your sixth lucky number is 55
[22:44] Zoltar Cat Machine v1 whispers: Ask me again to find out more!

Last edited:

Tirellia

Cold and Wet
Sep 20, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Desert Transport

I don't often play with Depth of Field for SL photos but this scene seemed to need it. I ought to replace the camel with something more realistic. Another complete scene and pose from ComeSoon Poses.

Tirellia

Cold and Wet
Sep 20, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Weekend Luggage

The partner scene for the picture above. Not enough luggage for a long weekend though, I don't like to travel light :p

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
Oct 29, 2018
SL, Kitely, IMVU
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Not sure of date/postcount
Behind the mask... :tmi:?

Last edited: