Sanders Considering 2020 Run

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
If he seriously feels he is the best person in the entire US to do that then he should make that young person his running mate to take care of the age issue.
A person of high age in a more or less ceremonial function like the Queen of the UK is doable, as long as the person isn't demented or has a feeble health, when they grow into that position after a lifetime of experience.
But a powerful and complicated job like the US presidency isn't a great idea for someone almost 80 when starting with the job.
At 80 one should enjoy the fact to have had a wonderful life and enjoy whatever time is left.

Last edited:

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
And person of high age in a more or less ceremonial function like the Queen of the UK is doable, as long as the person isn't demented or has a feeble health, when they grow into that position after a lifetime of experience.
But a powerful and complicated job like the US presidency isn't a great idea for someone almost 80 when starting with the job.
At 80 one should enjoy the fact to have had a wonderful life and enjoy whatever time is left.
Yes, why someone much younger who will be ready to step in at a moment's notice is so important. What would be even better if he announced in advance the person would be his top advisor, almost a co-president, much as Bill announced Hillary would be. In fact the more he used the 25th to train the new person (while giving himself breaks) the better.

Generally, politicians are not ones to retire at a reasonable age. With most it is because they like power but with Bernie I get the impression he actually wants to make the country a better place as long as he can.

I would love to see a maximum age put on political offices. For the bad ones it gets them out of there. For the good ones it rewards them when they still want to give (and encourages them to pass the baton on to younger voices).

Brian

There's way too much anti-Bernie sentiment inside the Democratic party base now. It seems most of his stans now are forgetting or ignoring that so many saying no to Sanders now are people that also supported him earlier in 2015/16.

That last racism denial excusing people who just aren't ready for a black leader threw his lack of insight to center stage. Claiming Democrats don't understand rural Americans is also on a path to nowhere. Despite heavier Republican concentrations in rural areas, Democrats live there too. They understand themselves and their neighbors. Many in large cities also came from there. Society evolved in this direction. The lack of understanding lies at the feet of rural America, not the other way around.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Going back to Nader and 2000? It was more likely that votes were mis-cast or there were shenanigans. And there were certainly shenanigans after, not all that different than the ones -this- cycle in both Florida and Georgia.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Kara Spengler

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
And person of high age in a more or less ceremonial function like the Queen of the UK is doable, as long as the person isn't demented or has a feeble health, when they grow into that position after a lifetime of experience.
Konrad Adenauer was of the tender age of 73 when he became the first chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany in 1949, and 87 when he finally resigned.

But yes, somebody more in the age range of Trudeau or Macron, or at least like Obama was would be really much, much better I do agree.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
200 called, it wants its spoiler back.
I don't know what you're talking about, Free. After emperor Lucius Septimius Severus Augustus Severus seized power during the Year of the Five Emperors (if you remember your Roman history) he "deposed" the incumbent emperor Didius Julianus along with rival claimants Pescennius Niger and Clodius Albinus, so by 200 there were no internal divisions in the empire. And he built the second largest bath in Roman history (a sure crowd pleaser, the people loved him).

In fact, by 200 he had (as you know) defeated the Gauls at Lugdunum, fortified Arabia Petraea, and even sacked the Parthian capital in 197 (remember poor Crassus and his four legions? of course you do, the Parthians have always been trouble). He even annexed Osroene, so there was pretty much peace everywhere what with the Gauls, Parthians and Arabs completely out of the picture.

Rome was awash in stability, peace (by Roman standards) and glory by A.D. 200. Geeeze, what are they teaching you kids nowadays?

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Who is just over a year younger than Sanders.
Joe Biden is such a stellar individual I would even overlook his white maleness. But it is just too risky to elect someone in their seventies. It’s not a question of their capability, but of the greatly increased possibility of illness. Regan had Alzheimer’s while he was still in office. To me Trump has always acted like he has dementia.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I don't know what you're talking about, Free. After emperor Lucius Septimius Severus Augustus Severus seized power during the Year of the Five Emperors (if you remember your Roman history)
They're the ones who ripped off the Greeks, right?

Dillon Levenque

Cautiously creeping...
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Lock, stock, and two smoking barrels. Only they never really got it; the Greeks had it going on. Those stiff-ass Romans could never really fit in.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Soen Eber and Free

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
In 2016, Sanders was the only credible candidate running in the primary against Hillary Clinton. We NEEDED that competition and more candidates would have been even better, but at least he made it a contest and prodded Clinton's campaign into a higher gear.

That was then, this is now. The field has finally filled up with Democrats of significant weight. Sanders had his day in 2016, but it's over. Don't overstay your welcome.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
All I can think is bah, it's too early for everyone to get riled up one way or the other. It's two years away. It hurts my brain.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Sanders and Clinton both are out of the game now. It sucks that neither of them won, it sucks that life marches on and that they are either too old or too out-of-step or that it just doesn't feel right any more, but that's pretty much the truth of it. All told, they've each had tremendous success in their life; they'll have to settle for that. Time to let a new batch of crazoids run for the most thankless job in the country.

I'm delighted that Elizabeth Warren will be running. She's been my top choice for years and FINALLY I can vote for her.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Sanders and Clinton both are out of the game now. It sucks that neither of them won, it sucks that life marches on and that they are either too old or too out-of-step or that it just doesn't feel right any more, but that's pretty much the truth of it. All told, they've each had tremendous success in their life; they'll have to settle for that. Time to let a new batch of crazoids run for the most thankless job in the country.

I'm delighted that Elizabeth Warren will be running. She's been my top choice for years and FINALLY I can vote for her.
Granted my dream ticket would be the two of them on the same ticket (although realistically taking both out of the senate at once might not be a good idea, even if you knew another 2 Ds would replace both of them). Second is either of them at the top of the ticket and someone younger who shares their politics/passion also on it.

Both have given a lot for their country. It may seem unfair that they can not both go for their dream job but Bernie is reaching an age where actuarial tables are a significant factor.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
And as the big sponsor behind them Nursing Home Shady Palms?