Sanders Considering 2020 Run

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
SL Rez
Joined SLU
August, 2008
Keeping in mind that I supported Bernie through the primaries, my fervent prayer is that he NOT run again.

2020 is going to be a very different election than 2016. A lot has changed. I do NOT think the stars are aligned for Senator Sanders to be POTUS.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I would love to see Bernie endorse a younger candidate instead. The point is the ideas, not the person. If he still throws his hat in anyways, at the minimum state at the outset he will choose someone at least a decade younger than him as his running mate.

My goal is to vote FOR a president, not just against the other person. There are plenty of viable potential candidates out there that hold to his ideals.

• 1Like
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Lianne Marten

Cheese Baron
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 18 2007
SLU Posts
Like seriously, there was a guy at the 2016 caucus wearing a "the muslim guy voting for the jewish guy" tshirt who said if Hillary won the primary he would vote for Trump because he "would rather be stabbed in the front than stabbed in the back."

It was mind-boggling, and we can't do that shit to ourselves again.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I would love to see Bernie endorse a younger candidate instead. The point is the ideas, not the person. If he still throws his hat in anyways, at the minimum state at the outset he will choose someone at least a decade younger than him as his running mate.
Ralph Nader?

• 2LOL
Reactions: Rose Karuna and Archer

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
200 called, it wants its spoiler back.
Who can forget that brawl in the Roman Senate, right :)

Ok, I will guess that was a typo. Actually, Nader took votes from both sides.

• 1LOL
  • 1lolwut?
Reactions: Soen Eber and Free

Lianne Marten

Cheese Baron
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 18 2007
SLU Posts
Not that it's the Green Party's fault (mostly). In a winner take all electoral system all third parties can do is make their most ideologically compatible other parties get fewer votes. We'd need to change to a preferential voting system but that would make things more equitable so naturally Republicans don't want that.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
A post at Daily Kos. Oh well Imma must be so wrong that NO WAIT

Nader Elected Bush: Why We Shouldn't Forget | RealClearPolitics

The Florida exit poll had a sample size of 1,829. Nader’s support in Florida was 1.63 percent, meaning the pollsters only found approximately 30 Nader voters -- a sample too infinitesimal from which to extrapolate. (Consider that the official margin of victory was 0.009 percent. One voter in the Florida exit poll sample amounted to 0.055 percent, more than the margin.)

In fact, some argue that the national exit poll yielded too few Nader voters for the purposes of analysis. So in 2006, professors Michael C. Herron and Jeffrey B. Lewis conducted a granular “ballot-level” analysis of 3 million Florida ballots, because “ballot images directly reveal voting behavior in its most raw form, unmitigated by hindsight, social desirability, or other intervening affects.”

By looking at the partisan nature of the down-ballot choices made by Nader voters, the two scholars estimated that the Gore-Bush breakdown would have been about 60-40. That’s a slightly smaller ratio than found in the national exit poll, but nonetheless a clear lean toward Gore. Herron and Lewis note this means Nader voters were not all left-wing, yet they still conclude, “Nader spoiled Gore’s presidency only because the 2000 presidential race in Florida was unusually tight.”

SL Rez
SLU Posts
He is too old imo. The best candidate I can think of now is Elizabeth Warren, though she seems totally concentrated on economic issues. I don't know where she stands on other issues.

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I was a Bernie supporter, like my whole family (only one of whom refused to vote for Hillary). His age was a problem two years ago, now it is insurmountable — no one in my family has even mentioned Bernie for 2020. That ship has sailed.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I was a Bernie supporter, like my whole family (only one of whom refused to vote for Hillary). His age was a problem two years ago, now it is insurmountable — no one in my family has even mentioned Bernie for 2020. That ship has sailed.
I come from what the news described as Bernie Country (the western half of NH). I went to one of his rallies down here in DC. My sister and niece were at another in NH (and right behind him too, a nice vid because my niece is clearly too young to vote). Anyway, I have not talked to them yet but I would love to see Bernie endorse someone younger with his politics (Bento maybe) that can win against donnie in 2020. If he seriously feels he is the best person in the entire US to do that then he should make that young person his running mate to take care of the age issue.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Pamela