Presidential Debate

Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
6,768
Location
NJ suburb of Philadelphia
SL Rez
2003
SLU Posts
4494
This is looking pretty sad in the first few minutes imo. Biden's talking like Trump is just a normal opponent and coming off wishy washy.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Cristalle

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
10,705
Location
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
65535
This debate is already a trainwreck. Biden isn't speaking authoritatively enough, and Trump is talking over everyone, even the moderator, like a petulant child demanding attention.
 

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
10,705
Location
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
65535
I agree, Trump is not winning himself any new voters, and his behavior might shake off a few of what he already has. Biden's biggest problem, though, is that he doesn't speak well when pressured. Hopefully voters can see past that.
 
  • 2Agree
Reactions: Rose Karuna and Govi
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
6,768
Location
NJ suburb of Philadelphia
SL Rez
2003
SLU Posts
4494
There is a fair size contingent in a live response reddit on thread supporting the cows.

Cows live in Philly
Bad things in Philly cheese
Cows wouldn't hurt anyone
Cows are honest
Cow2020
Democratic cows

and hundreds more cow comments which is the most intelligent thing I got from this debate.
 

Grey Mars

Just Some Guy
Joined
Oct 23, 2018
Messages
149
My summery of the debate:

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
 

Monica Dream

But spirit is something that no one destroys
Joined
Dec 21, 2019
Messages
1,326
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
7008
The moderator needs to have an on-off switch for the candidates' mics. Especially Trump's.
I don't understand why they don't. I believe that going forward, there's going to have to be a policy dealing with that in debates. Right now, they're too concerned with behavioral norms that assume everyone's from the same background and is playing by the same rules.

They're inadequate for dealing with someone intentionally throwing a spanner in the works -as Trump was doing.
Well, it won't win Trump anyone who didn't already worship him. They should just cancel the remaining debates. He's a toddler.
I agree with the first sentence, and with the last sentence, but not the middle one.

The fact he's a toddler needs to be displayed prominently; I'd like them to not only continue with the remaining debates but have even more.

People on the fence need a very, very close look at who their president is, and why they need to vote.
 
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
6,768
Location
NJ suburb of Philadelphia
SL Rez
2003
SLU Posts
4494
The saddest part of the debate for me is how Biden doesn't seem to have any sense of this being an actual crisis. That Trump, the republicans, the supreme court situation and so many other things can and are ruining this country. He just kind of rolls his eyes a bit at Trump and calls him a clown and gives boring answers about what he will do to change things. Most likely because he won't change much. At least he might stop the wreckage that is Trump from continuing but there is no sense of urgency at all from him about the state of the nation.
 

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
10,705
Location
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
65535
The saddest part of the debate for me is how Biden doesn't seem to have any sense of this being an actual crisis. That Trump, the republicans, the supreme court situation and so many other things can and are ruining this country. He just kind of rolls his eyes a bit at Trump and calls him a clown and gives boring answers about what he will do to change things. Most likely because he won't change much. At least he might stop the wreckage that is Trump from continuing but there is no sense of urgency at all from him about the state of the nation.
I saw Biden got pretty passionate about climate change during the debate. But in all honesty, I'm not looking for him to change much, at least not during his first term. Simply rolling back all the damage Trump has done will pretty much occupy all his time.
 

Jopsy Pendragon

*Very* disappointed with 2026 so far.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,205
Location
San Diego CA
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2007
SLU Posts
11308
I had to shut it off, and then breeze through a highlights reel after.

It's like seeing my dad (who was raised in Brooklyn) up on the stage. Absolutely self-absorbed, not a whit of self-awareness, vomiting interruptions and knee-jerk harassments at every opportunity.

It just looks rude, desperate and sad. Neither Trump nor my dad can control themselves, and neither even wants to. They -crave- conflict and chaos. Nothing gets them off more than rattling their targets.

We saw this way back when with Trump and his -ridiculous- handshake/yank crap. He gets his jollies from knocking people randomly off balance. "OOO I'm so unpredictable, haha!"

He's as shallow as a wet turd on a hot sidewalk, and delights in being just as unpleasant.
 

Chalice Yao

The Purple
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
459
Location
Somewhere Purple, Germany
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts
9108
I couldn't sit all the way through it.
This had to be one of the most undisciplined, childish political 'debates' I've seen - mostly on the account of Trump, who is behaving exactly like a small child trying to win an argument against its parents by constantly interrupting and pointing out But The Others.
 

Sid

Member from the past.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,133
I haven't seen the debate, it was in the middle of the night in this part of the world.
I planned to look at it this morning, but after reading this in the Guardian, I think I'll pass on this one.
There is sadness enough in my worldviews lately already.


Cry, the beloved country. Donald Trump ensured Tuesday’s first US presidential debate was the worst in American history, a national humiliation. The rest of the world – and future historians – will presumably look at it and weep.



The debate was a mess, largely of Trump’s making
Moderator Chris Wallace of Fox News was unable to rein in the candidates and that meant Donald Trump was mostly free to interrupt, make false claims, rant and violate the previously agreed structure and rules of the debate. There were a few moments where Biden talked over Trump when it wasn’t his turn, but the lion’s share was from Trump.
Publicly and privately, viewers expressed their frustration of Wallace’s stewardship of the debate. Wallace himself seemed conscious that Trump wanted to break out of the usual constraints of the debate. At one point a visibly exasperated Biden said it was hard to follow all of Trump’s ranting.
“I can’t remember everything he was ranting about,” Biden said.
“I’m having trouble myself,” Wallace said.
Even with the widespread expressions of disappointment with Wallace’s debate performance, usually reserved analysts and newscasters couldn’t help but call the debate a failure.
“That was the worst debate I have ever seen,” CNN’s Jake Tapper said, saying the blame lay primarily at Trump’s door. His colleague, Dana Bash, on air, said “that was a shitshow.”
Other European newspapers ain't milder.
As far as I had a peek at them.
 
Last edited: