Operation Varsity Blues: Felicity Huffman and Others Charged In College Cheating Scheme

Zaida Gearbox

I read that Stanford has expelled a student who's involved in this and cancelled their credits. At first I felt bad about them losing their credits as well as getting kicked out of school. But, sometimes when we do wrong things other people suffer because of it - not just us, and I think it's important for these rich asshole parents to realize that they've hurt their kids through their actions because I'm sure they couldn't care less about the people who deserved admittance that they helped fuck over.

But, I'm also reasonably sure that these poor little rich kids will find some other school to take them.

Cristiano

I AM BABY GROOT
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I think Felicity Huffman has a better chance of still having an acting career. While this does damage her, she's a stellar actress who has built a strong career by taking on challenging roles. I'm sure work will dry up in the short term, but I don't think what she did is career ending.

It's more complicated for Lori Loughlin. What she is accused of is on a much bigger scale and more serious, and she's built a career on a wholesome family image. She's also not a bad actress, but hardly a great one. While it's not impossible to come back from what she and her husband allegedly did, it's going to be much harder to rebuild, and the Hallmark-esque type projects are probably gone for good.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Loughlin is rich by your and my standards, but I dunno if she's THAT rich that her family can live entirely on their inheritance.

I know if I got rich, I'd definitely leave my kids a trust fund in the case of my death; but I'd make receiving most of it dependent on them getting a college degree first.

Or completing a trade apprenticeship - I'm not snobby. Or a professional certification/license, or the Bar, or an officer commission, or whatever the professional educational standard is for whatever they freely decide to pursue. They're getting some money either way of course, but if they want the jackpot they're going to have to be at least theoretically capable of living without the money when/if they squander it.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Loughlin is rich by your and my standards, but I dunno if she's THAT rich that her family can live entirely on their inheritance.
:qft:

They've probably got a lot of that money tied up in assets like a fabulous house, vacation home, multiple cars, plus an expensive lifestyle that shovels money out the door as fast as it comes in. Add some hellacious legal bills on top of that, at the same time that their income is taking a steep dive due to the scandal. To set their kids up for life, they would need to invest several million dollars per child and never touch that principal again. The interest income -- especially in these days of exceptionally low interest rates -- is more money than I make in a year, but probably not significantly more.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Kamilah Hauptmann

This Reality Blows
:qft:

They've probably got a lot of that money tied up in assets like a fabulous house, vacation home, multiple cars, plus an expensive lifestyle that shovels money out the door as fast as it comes in. Add some hellacious legal bills on top of that, at the same time that their income is taking a steep dive due to the scandal. To set their kids up for life, they would need to invest several million dollars per child and never touch that principal again. The interest income -- especially in these days of exceptionally low interest rates -- is more money than I make in a year, but probably not significantly more.
It's almost enough to get on as a janitor in Bezos' luxury space colony where everyone but Bezos has an exploding chip in their head in case of insubordination.