Operation Varsity Blues: Felicity Huffman and Others Charged In College Cheating Scheme

Govi

feral ballerina
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
It's one thing for the rich to make public donations to college, to get their name posted somewhere, thereby to get their kid favored for admission; it's an entirely different thing secretly to pay individuals in the college admissions office to get your kid into the school.

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
How many more of these operations exist, and where else?

And will the colleges in question have their reputations tarnished much?

Cristiano

I AM BABY GROOT
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
What pisses me off about this is that it goes far beyond the "my dad donated a building" bullshit that rich people have used to get into schools. Using the front of a charity for underprivileged kids, these assholes were laundering money for their overpriveleged kids to undeservedly get into schools through fraud. Fuck all of them - I hope they get nailed for this. I'm a fan of Felicity Huffman, but there's no excuse for this. Obviously her fame and wealth distorted her view of right and wrong.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Way to wreck the lives of the children you supposedly cared so much about. They will be the target of scorn or ridicule for years to come. I do feel sympathy for the one son whose mother is recorded saying "He must never know." Welp. Now he knows.

What's ironic is that all these parents had enough money to insure their children were comfortable for the rest of their lives. They didn't NEED an Ivy League education, and don't appear to have had high ambitions for a difficult career. So this strikes me much more as a grab for the prestige -- and its reflected glory on the parents -- than any true concern for the welfare of their children.

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
Way to wreck the lives of the children you supposedly cared so much about. They will be the target of scorn or ridicule for years to come. I do feel sympathy for the one son whose mother is recorded saying "He must never know." Welp. Now he knows.

What's ironic is that all these parents had enough money to insure their children were comfortable for the rest of their lives. They didn't NEED an Ivy League education, and don't appear to have had high ambitions for a difficult career. So this strikes me much more as a grab for the prestige -- and its reflected glory on the parents -- than any true concern for the welfare of their children.
That because for the vast majority of the very rich there is no enough, there must always be more, more money, more fame, more success, more approval.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
It's one thing for the rich to make public donations to college, to get their name posted somewhere, thereby to get their kid favored for admission; it's an entirely different thing secretly to pay individuals in the college admissions office to get your kid into the school.
If you've paid several million $ for a new building to get your kid into college, of course you're going to be upset when a grifter pops up and offers the same service for a few $100k. Makes you look, and feel, stupid.

And people in a position to buy new buildings in order to obtain college places for their children generally aren't people whom it's a good idea to upset like that.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
They even got tax write-offs for the money they spent (hundreds of thousands of dollars worth). In a time when we have students looking forward to predatory lending practices and years upon years of debt, I believe this whole scam has struck a chord for many.

Colleges always have had the practice of being more lenient with alumni children and/or putting names on buildings and so on, but some of the wealthy have corrupted so many of our institutions that it's no wonder people are fired up.

Finally, something needs to be done about the illegal usage of 501c status. Clearly, it is being used by some, shall we say, con artists and/or unintended *programs*.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I do have to give props to the FBI for showing a bit of a sense of humor by naming it Operation Varsity Blues, even though this situation is not funny in the slightest.
It's an amusing name for the operation, certainly, but it's really bad practice -- for security reasons -- to give law enforcement operations names that have any connection with the operation itself. In the UK, most police forces (and the military, too, I believe) simply issue, from time to time, lists of neutral code names -- names of rivers or trees are sometimes used, for example -- and new operations are simply assigned the next name on the list.

Much safer, since it ensures no one can guess, from the name, what the operation is concerned with.

Last edited:

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009

Absolutely! This isn't about assuring the child's future - which is all but assured anyway. It's about continuing to make the child the rich parents' trophy for bragging rights among their rich friends.