Ava Glasgow

Ava Ava hot like lava
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

danielravennest

SLU Posts
What the hell?! That sounds like a great reason for all farmers to never buy John Deere again.
They make very good farm machinery, with lenient financing terms. However, this firmware shit is leading to "right to repair" bills in multiple states, along with Apple's attempt to make third-party repairs illegal.

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Govi

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Fix for the Firefox bug:

{EDIT} None of that was a perma fix. Swtich to FF ESR.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Ellie

Clara D.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
What the hell?! That sounds like a great reason for all farmers to never buy John Deere again.
I wonder if Case/IH is silly enough to have done the same thing.

Ellie

Heretical Raccoon Skunk with a Rainbow Pootbeam
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2010
SLU Posts
This was caused by a certificate expiring. To fix it you need to enable studies, which lets Mozilla push live code down to you any time they want (I had it disabled of course).

As it turns out I don't have any add-ons anyway.

I had to do this today after yesterday's debacle, when I AGAIN lost my addons.
Not a happy FFF user. It worked, but not instantly.

Beginning to think there's something going on here other than incompetence.

Clara D.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I had to do this today after yesterday's debacle, when I AGAIN lost my addons.
Not a happy FFF user. It worked, but not instantly.

Beginning to think there's something going on here other than incompetence.
Mine just did it again, I altered my instructions o_O

• 1Thanks

Porsupah Ree

Shy bunny
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Did you know you can build a monorail that doesn't hang down both sides of an elevated track, but instead, is gyroscopically stabilised, and runs along one rail on the ground?

The real public debut for Brennan's monorail was the Japan-British Exhibition at the White City, London in 1910. The monorail car carried 50 passengers at a time around a circular track at 20 mph. Passengers included Winston Churchill, who showed considerable enthusiasm. Interest was such that children's clockwork monorail toys, single-wheeled and gyro-stabilised, were produced in England and Germany. Although a viable means of transport, the monorail failed to attract further investment. Of the two vehicles built, one was sold as scrap, and the other was used as a park shelter until 1930.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
Did you know you can build a monorail that doesn't hang down both sides of an elevated track, but instead, is gyroscopically stabilised, and runs along one rail on the ground?

My physics brain knows it will work. My intuitive brain doesn’t understand what keeps it from tipping over. I wonder if that’s what doomed it. Because, building rails with one rail must be cheaper.

• 1Thanks

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
This was caused by a certificate expiring. To fix it you need to enable studies, which lets Mozilla push live code down to you any time they want (I had it disabled of course).

As it turns out I don't have any add-ons anyway.

I used Waterfox while I waited for this fix, which worked for me.

options -> privacy and security -> enable studies

It doesn't happen right away, but it happened for me within minutes. I was viewing adons and they reverted from their legacy state. Then I turned off studies again.

• 1Thanks

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
That shoud be "while (goingToCrashIntoEachOther())".

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
This just happened to me
Firefox Disabled All My Extentions | Hacker News

[QUOTE
I opened Firefox and all of my extensions are disabled saying One or more installed add-ons cannot be verified and have been disabled. Is anyone else experiencing this?
QUOTE]

Any help much appreciated. Just when I though it was safe to watch Downton Abbey again...sigh.

ETA Update Unable to download any add-ons · Issue #978 · mozilla/addons

I certainly hope so.

ETA disabled signature checking in about:config xpinstall.signatures.required, set extensions.legacy.enabled to true, closed FF and then was prompted to update my addons, got em all back, phew!
I now have to do a complete OS re-install because of this. Deeply pissed off.

Not directly the fault of the issue but after firefox said the addons were broken I wondered if my firefox was out of date so I ran an update on my system which broke the hell out of it.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
My physics brain knows it will work. My intuitive brain doesn’t understand what keeps it from tipping over. I wonder if that’s what doomed it. Because, building rails with one rail must be cheaper.
Well....remember what happened to Segways when the battery died while you were riding one. I think that's prolly the reason - when your standard monorail breaks down the car just sits there, but when one of these things breaks down it's gonna tip over and injure its riders.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
These videos are cool AF, but some of the demonstrations come with an epilepsy warning so bear that in mind.

Last edited:

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
Well....remember what happened to Segways when the battery died while you were riding one. I think that's prolly the reason - when your standard monorail breaks down the car just sits there, but when one of these things breaks down it's gonna tip over and injure its riders.
That doesn't seem right -- the thing must have had some sort of landing gear contraption for when it was serviced, or even just for loading and unloading passengers.

Ah -- okay, maybe not! I dug deeper in the article:

The angular momentum in the gyros is so high that loss of power will not present a hazard for a good half-hour in a well designed system.
That would have provided some inspiration on repair crew response times!

Clara D.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I used Waterfox while I waited for this fix, which worked for me.

options -> privacy and security -> enable studies

It doesn't happen right away, but it happened for me within minutes. I was viewing adons and they reverted from their legacy state. Then I turned off studies again.
I have the appropriate study and the *still* keep vanishing, and it still won't let me re-install them the normal way (from web or directly from file) -- gives me an error that they're corrupted.

Thanks for reminding me of Waterfox, I hate the chromium font pale font rendering.

Protip:

copy the 'extensions' and 'browser-extension-data' folders from FF profile into WF profile, then just re-enable the extensions in WF. This keeps stuff like my custom rules for uBlock Origin intact. :D

The only one that didn't work was greasemonkey, so I switched to Violentmonkey Violentmonkey – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)

Lastpass worked fine, but I'm still wrassling Eversync o_O Luckily I signed up to Firefox Sync as a redundancy, but I'll still need a cross-browser sync thingy

[EDIT TO ADD:]

For me best option was Firefox ESR: Mozilla Firefox Web Browser — Download Firefox Extended Support Release in your language

If you want rounded tab, add this UserChrome.css to a chrome folder in your FF profile:

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
  • 1Like
Reactions: Ellie and Anya Ristow

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
So, how soon before Microsoft just says "fuck it" and turns Windows into a Linux distro?

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Clara D.