Nobody Cares: PRS

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
10,706
Location
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
65535
Okay. New thing at the top of my list of things I don't want to be: "A job for a forensic pathologist." 😱
I dunno. If I had a choice in how I'd go, being turned to pate in less than a hundred milliseconds ranks up there.
 
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
6,768
Location
NJ suburb of Philadelphia
SL Rez
2003
SLU Posts
4494
I dunno. If I had a choice in how I'd go, being turned to pate in less than a hundred milliseconds ranks up there.
One millisecond is what I have seen which is too fast for the brain to even recognize something happened.

As for pate, I've seen numerous grasps for the best word.
Puree, gobbets, specks, goop, slurried, emulsified, liquidated.
 

Cindy Claveau

Radical Left Degenerate
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
3,488
Location
US
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
44403

Zaida Gearbox

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
1,379
I once found the famous photo of the woman who jumped from the Empire State Building and landed on a car. She looked remarkably intact on top, but I have a feeling the unfortunates in the submersible are probably unrecognizable.

Edit: Had to look it up. It was called "The Most Beautiful Suicide" by Life Magazine.

Named by Life magazine as the “The Most Beautiful Suicide” - Evelyn McHale leapt to her death from the Empire State Building, 1947
I've seen that picture. I read that her body basicallyl fell apart when they removed her from the top of the car.
 

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,190
Location
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Stochastic terrorism event detected, thankfullly thwarted:


A man with materials to make explosives and an active Jan. 6-related warrant was arrested by law enforcement in former President Barack Obama's Washington, D.C., neighborhood, multiple sources briefed on the matter tell CBS News.

Several sources identified the suspect as 37-year-old Taylor Taranto, of Seattle, Washington. Secret Service spotted him within blocks of the Obama's home, according to a law enforcement official briefed on the matter. Taranto fled, and Secret Service chased him. He was running toward the Obama home, but was apprehended before reaching it.
The man in question is one of two that attacked officer Jeffrey Smith on Jan 6th, in Taranto's case wielding a black cane with a sharp tip (weaponized cane). The officer later committed suicide.
 
Last edited:

Dakota Tebaldi

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
9,979
Location
Ohio
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
16791
Don't mind me, I'm just enjoying the day.

For some reason I just can't stop looking at this, the choices made here are honestly so weird they just don't make sense and it's really compelling to me.

So yeah, everyone can immediately tell these two were photographed in an indoor studio with studio lighting and then they (and their indoor-lighting shadows, lol) were either composited onto a separate photo of a beach, or they used a curved forced-perspective backdrop of a beach.

What I can't figure out is...why? It's Florida. There's beaches everywhere. They could have gone to any one of them and taken an actual outdoor picture at the beach. It's clear that they wanted to look like they were at the beach - they're dressed for it, after all - so why not just GO to one?

And the photographer is at least competent. The lighting of the subjects is good, there's good fill and the color is well balanced ON THEM. But the color balance on them doesn't match the background at all. And those very loudly not-outside shadows...and the subjects off-center by A LOT...how could a photographer that's obviously technically competent be so bad at composition? It doesn't make sense somebody make it stop
 

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
9,529
Location
Montréal
SL Rez
2007
*snip*
It's clear that they wanted to look like they were at the beach - they're dressed for it, after all - so why not just GO to one?
*snip*
Is this really how people dress for the beach….
A short sleeved work shirt, and short work slacks ha ha.
I suppose, that’s how he would dress for the beach, so I get your point.
 
  • 1Pie
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,190
Location
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Some pretty damning stuff in this article. I am familiar with some of these players having watched a video about the making of Limiting Factor, which Gabe Newell now owns. These are some of the bigger players in the DSV community. I'll post a link to the video in the next comment. A few quotes, but so much more in the article:


Soon afterward, Rush asked OceanGate's director of finance and administration whether she'd like to take over as chief submersible pilot. "It freaked me out that he would want me to be head pilot, since my background is in accounting," she told me. She added that several of the engineers were in their late teens and early twenties, and were at one point being paid fifteen dollars an hour. Without Lochridge around, "I could not work for Stockton," she said. "I did not trust him." As soon as she was able to line up a new job, she quit.
“It doesn’t get more sensational than dead people in a sub on the way to Titanic,” Lahey’s business partner, the co-founder of Triton Submarines, wrote to his team, on March 1, 2018. McCallum tried to reason with Rush directly. “You are wanting to use a prototype un-classed technology in a very hostile place,” he e-mailed. “As much as I appreciate entrepreneurship and innovation, you are potentially putting an entire industry at risk.”

Rush replied four days later, saying that he had “grown tired of industry players who try to use a safety argument to stop innovation and new entrants from entering their small existing market.” He understood that his approach “flies in the face of the submersible orthodoxy, but that is the nature of innovation,” he wrote. “We have heard the baseless cries of ‘you are going to kill someone’ way too often. I take this as a serious personal insult.”
“Stockton strategically structured everything to be out of U.S. jurisdiction” for its Titanic pursuits, the former senior OceanGate employee told me. “It was deliberate.” In a legal filing, the company reported that the submersible was “being developed and assembled in Washington, but will be owned by a Bahamian entity, will be registered in the Bahamas and will operate exclusively outside the territorial waters of the United States.” Although it is illegal to transport passengers in an unclassed, experimental submersible, “under U.S. regulations, you can kill crew,” McCallum told me. “You do get in a little bit of trouble, in the eyes of the law. But, if you kill a passenger, you’re in big trouble. And so everyone was classified as a ‘mission specialist.’ There were no passengers—the word ‘passenger’ was never used.” No one bought tickets; they contributed an amount of money set by Rush to one of OceanGate’s entities, to fund their own missions.
 
Last edited:
  • 1Facepalm
Reactions: Beebo Brink