Nobody Cares: PRS

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
So the Democrats have chosen to energize moderate Republicans instead of using wedge issues to build a larger base focusing on health care and wage equity.

How very smart.
I can't read the article because of the WSJ $wall, but it strikes me (particularly since the WSJ is a Conservative paper) that "Most Aggressive Gun-Control Legislation in Decades" doesn't really tell us very much about the proposals in detail and that it probably doesn't take a great deal to make something the "Most Aggressive Gun-Control Legislation in Decades" -- it's probably starting from quite a low baseline, after all.

Brian

And how's that worked out for you this past 40-some years? We've had Democratic trifectas at least a couple 2-3 times and nothing's changed, and it won't until the NRA [Near Retirement Age] membership is old and senile and dying off.

We need to use the same long game the right has used to undermine American democracy and participation, as documented in Nancy MacLean's book "Democracy in Chains: The Deep History of the Radical Right's Stealth Plan for America". It will only be when we can destroy or sufficiently diminish the hold the NRA has over gun owners than we can make American safer, and not until then.

Trust me, most politicians, even on the right, secretly despise the NRA. There collapse will be epic, when it happens.
We've had a trifecta 2 times since the 1970s. First 2 years during Clinton's presidency, which did stop new production/ownership of AR 15s for a 10 year period, and first 2 of Obama's. Claiming nothing changed during those terms is ridiculous.

What you're calling for is the same thing you're ridiculing. Do very little, proceeding on eggshells, and then complain that nothing gets done.
The NRA HAS been getting beat down in the media and by the public. Pay attention.

It's time to stop coddling your friends and call them out.
Of course it's commonplace to blame the politicians for every single thing wrong, but it's far more the fault of the electorate.
Yes, I know nobody wants to face the same music as David Hogg. It still has to happen for change to happen.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Article by one of the authors of the conspiracy theory study, explaining some of the findings: Populism and the internet – a toxic mix shaping the age of conspiracy theories | John Naughton

many people who thought about these things initially dismissed online conspiracism as a politically irrelevant phenomenon. As one cynic put it to me, at least it keeps fanatics in their pyjamas and off the streets. And in one sense that was true: the conventional wisdom was that conspiracy theories – off- or online – had little democratic significance. Two developments changed that. The first was the arrival of global social media platforms such as Facebook whose automated advertising engines could be weaponised by political agents and entrepreneurial conspiracists. The second was the arrival of Donald Trump and the rise of populism across the western world.

Trump, a paradigmatic conspiracy theorist, proved to be a masterful exploiter of social media, which he deployed to bring conspiracist thinking out from the shadows and into the mainstream. And conspiracy theorising, as Jan-Werner Müller and others point out, is part of the inner logic of populism. Populism, remember, is based on the claim that society is divided between “the people” and the illegitimate elites who rule and exploit them. This is useful not only for campaigning, but for when populists get into power and discover that governing is more difficult than they thought. Why? Because others are conspiring against them, of course.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Entirely unprepared homeless people can die at those temps.
I suppose. Around here, the city doesn't even open up warming centers until temperatures drop to 30. But, yeah, we're kind of used to that.

Porsupah Ree

Shy bunny
SL Rez
Joined SLU
So, I posted that on Oct 31. And now..

Another Ferguson Protester Has Died

Bassem Masri, a Palestinian-American activist who live-streamed throughout the protests against police brutality and the murder of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, has died. Reports of his death circulated on social media on Tuesday, with other prominent activists and journalists offering condolences and memories about the man, who was known for his strong, outspoken beliefs, and his thoughtful conversation.

Masri is one of four Ferguson activists to die in the years since the protests against the killing of Michael Brown. Danye Jones, Deandre Joshua, and Darren Seals have all been found dead since 2014. Jones death was considered by police to be a suicide, but his mother Melissa McKinnies — who is a prominent activist herself — suspected foul play. Joshua and Seals were both found shot to death and set on fire, and neither murder has been solved.

The circumstances of Masri’s death have not been released or confirmed.

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
One thing I am noticing is that a lot of people are realizing that people in places like Mississippi and Texas and Alabama, etc. deserve credit for pushing in the right direction, instead of the entire state or region being written off as a backwater.

Everything is national now. We all share every victory. Thats our revenge on Trump.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
One thing I am noticing is that a lot of people are realizing that people in places like Mississippi and Texas and Alabama, etc. deserve credit for pushing in the right direction, instead of the entire state or region being written off as a backwater.
Yeah, in the runoff on Tuesday, the Democrat did about 7 points better than the last Senate election in Mississippi. Still lost, but I consider it progress.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
A Labour MP has revealed that he has been HIV positive for nearly 10 years, as the Commons debated World Aids Day.

Lloyd Russell-Moyle said: "I wanted to be able to stand here in this place and say to those living with HIV that our status doesn't define them. That we can be whoever we want to be."

And appealing for people to overcome their fear of getting tested, the Brighton Kemptown MP said: "It is better to live in knowledge than to die in fear."
MP tells Commons he is HIV positive

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Couple forced to prove New Mexico is a state while applying for marriage license

Clarkson, who lives in Las Cruces, and his then-fiancée visited the District of Columbia Courts Marriage Bureau on Nov. 20 to apply for a marriage license.

But, once there, the couple encountered a small problem, Clarkson said. The clerk wouldn't accept Clarkson's driver's license – from New Mexico – as proof of his identity. Rather, the clerk, who mistakenly believed Clarkson was a foreign citizen, said he would have to provide an international passport to get the marriage license.
After Clarkson objected, the clerk went to check with a supervisor, who confirmed Clarkson would need a passport.
"You know you are from flyover country when you are applying for a marriage license, give them your New Mexico driver's license, and they come back and say: 'My supervisor says we cannot accept international driver's licenses. Do you have a New Mexico passport?'" Clarkson posted on Facebook recently.