Nobody Cares: Gaming Edition

Imnotgoing Sideways

Puts the FU in Cute
So you played Lucio "the caress slowly to death" hero all over that match (on Oasis there's not so much where you can boop them to death), and had the most eliminations but lost due to your team mates not doing their job? Now that's what I do really call a bad team, which doesn't care at all. Typical for silver/bronze ranks, and thanks to Blizzard and their inability to provide role queues/relevant match making quite the norm of what you can expect in Overwatch.
Gladly, it's an exception to the norm. But, not tooooo much of an exception. More common are complaints that I'm "not healing" while I have a 12M radius and everyone is spread 25M apart. (-_-)

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Well Lucio is an AoE heal with mediocre base HPS, so you'll always need a dedicated main healer hero as well. One Lucio alone is unable to keep the team alive, while maybe a good Mercy/Moira/Ana could fit the bill.

Lianne Marten

Cheese Baron
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 18 2007
SLU Posts
The best game of 2018 Crosscode got an update today. Something about an arena and another quest yadda yadda.

None of that matters because it's not the addition of pets. In both forms of the word.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
John Wick is officially in Fortnite
One of gaming’s worst-kept secrets is finally official: you can now play as John Wick in Fortnite. Today, developer Epic announced the latest crossover event for the battle royale game, which includes a number of features based on the slick assassin just ahead of the debut of John Wick: Chapter 3 this weekend.

• 1Like
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
He was unofficially in FortNite BR a while back, as the "Reaper" skin....with pencil pickaxe.

Also the npc Major Oswald in Save the World also resembles and sounds like an older Wick.

I was gifted a PSVR for my birthday.

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
I suck at Overwatch. This is against medium AI.

In my defense, I'm not a gamer. This is the first realtime game I've spend any time with since Dark Forces. I'm still at the stage of "I can stop shooting now because everybody who is left is on my team", and "that red isn't the enemy". If I'm lucky I get my ultimate off once per round without catching my own team in it. Combining ultimates? Knowing all the heroes' abilities, or even their names? Mastering my own damned energy? Uh, yeah.

Do the career averages even work in training mode? They don't look right.

I've played a lot of Zarya and some Mercy. I do better as Mercy, though I haven't learned her super jump.

Hell, I don't even understand everything that is on the screen half the time.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
I'm old and crusty and clumsy and enjoyed some casual Overwatch. Ones I found easiest:

Reinhardt. Staying near objective and angling shield in such a way that the gunners can hide behind you and shoot/knowing when to start swinging hammer. Takes very little by way of aim.

Junkrat. Dropping leg hold traps and bouncing grenades around corners as they come around. Getting capable with the mines can result in hilarity.

Agent 76. Very standard shoot-guy, with that heal cannister.

Lucio. Just keep moving around and healing. Stay with the tank if everyone else scatters. Very little damage but has his 'boop gun' fun for throwing targets off cliffs. Can do fun wall climbs with practice.

Orisa. Similar to Reinhardt. Drop shield where gunners can hide behind.

Reaper. Run up close to something and shoot them in the face.

Mei. Capable damage, capable defence, annoying if you put walls in frustrating places.

Torbjorn. Drop turret, repair turret, let turret do work. (Remember to upgrade it.) Gather scrap to issue armour packages.

Shout outs:
Symmetra. A little more complex with her toolbox but her short range gun is (was?) hold down the trigger and don't worry about aim.

Roadhog. He's such a meatball he can take some hits. Self heal. Also, point blank with his gun tends to flatten things. Chain takes practice, though.

eta: I'm out of date on some info, haha

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: Anya Ristow

HEX

BURRITO WARLORD
SL Rez
HEX GOT A 27 INCH OPEN BOX 144MHZ MONITOR OFF AMAZON. HIS CURRENT MONITOR IS WALMART TRASH THAT HE GOT TO REPLACE AN EVEN WORSE LAPTOP DISPLAY BUT TRYING TO GAME ON IT NOW IS AWFUL! ALSO HEX'S CURRENT JEDI AND SITH ARE SOMEHOW 43 AND 30 IN SWTOR.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
This article about the newest Call of Duty game asks some interesting questions, and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

As with Rainbow Six, the important choice that you must make as a soldier is to move into the room quickly and decide fast who to save or who to shoot. I did not play this mission; the Infinity Ward staff played it for us in a dark theater.

But the game differs from other gritty combat games based on who is in each room. The characters appear to be Muslim terrorist fighters in mostly civilian garb. But those characters include both men and women.

One of the women runs for a baby. Fortunately, the developers told me later, you cannot shoot that woman or that baby. She surrenders.

But in another room, a woman runs for a gun. She prepares to shoot. You have to kill her. Your silenced weapon makes muffled noises, and bodies hit the floor. Up close and personal. The same goes for other armed men in the place. In another room, shots are fired through the door before you can respond. One enemy is wounded and gurgles his last breaths. A woman cries in the background. One of your soldiers goes down. You fire into the door or fire into the wall, and the enemy goes down.

And in the final room, you confront an unarmed woman. She tries to divert you. She moves despite your warnings to stop. She then grabs a bomb detonator. You have to shoot her.

This is the nature of modern combat, the developers say. But this should not be a part of a modern video game, in my opinion, given the thin line between civilians and warriors and given the impression it creates in our world, which is driven by social media sound and video bites. It looks so much like you are killing innocent civilians. And if you make a mistake, you are.

I am told that the narrative of the story, which is generally secret, will explain the context for this scene. But as it is, as I’ve seen it, I found it profoundly disturbing and unjustifiable. After showing us this scene, the developers at Infinity Ward went right into a presentation where they said, “We’d like to talk to you about the star of the game, which is the weapons.” Sadly, I do not have pictures of this scene to show you.

The demo then shifted to a Middle Eastern country. My guess was that it was Syria, but the game doesn’t tell you where it is.

It is a chaotic environment. You’re buried under rubble. Your voice is a child, and you soon see that you are a young girl. You are trapped in a building that has been blown up. You make noises, and people outside with muffled voices can hear you.

Slowly, they dig their way to you. They lift concrete blocks and you emerge, unhurt. But a woman who appears to be your mother lies dead beside you. You are unscathed and begin running home. You find your father there.

But Russian soldiers arrive, and they start launching canisters that emit a green gas. It’s poison gas, and other civilians in the village start choking and dying. You run inside the home, where your brother has closed the windows.

Your father prepares an escape, but a Russian soldier comes in the house. Your father tries to reason with him, but the soldier guns him down. Then he hunts the children. You are still playing as the young girl, and you hide. You can crawl through a hole in a wall and sneak up on the soldier. You grab a knife and stab him in the leg. He shakes you off and you run away, escaping through the hole again.

You do that repeatedly, and eventually both you and your brother kill the soldier. One of you grabs his gas mask and you escape. You hold your breath and then run off, picking up a second gas mask. You pass by Russian soldiers who are executing civilians. And eventually, you get away.

This game will give fuel to those who hate. On the one hand, some groups will be outraged that their people are branded as terrorists and enemies. They will share snippets of this game on social media that will take the violence out of context. Groups of outraged lawmakers, parents, and nongamers will turn their ire toward all of gaming. If you’re a game developer at the peak of your talents, why would you step into this lion’s den? You would have to have a very good reason, and so far, I do not see it.

Modern Warfare is bloody, but it’s not a sea of blood spraying everywhere. But sometimes the medium is the message. Sometimes the horror of a particular scene outweighs the point that you’re trying to make. There may be a message in what the developers intend, but it might be overshadowed.

I think of the anti-war movie Apocalypse Now, which had the memorable Ride of the Valkyries scene, where a mad colonel orders an attack on a Vietnamese village so that his guys can surf. It was an excellent commentary on the insanity of war. But it was executed so well as a combat scene that, in my opinion, it probably inspired a lot of young people to enlist in the military. Art can often have unintentional effects. And that is why my favorite quote is from Kurt Vonnegut’s Mother Night, where an American spy does his cover job of being a Nazi propagandist too well. The line is, “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

This is supposed to be a video game. It will undoubtedly have a multiplayer element, where players shoot each other for fun and have a hell of a time doing it. That’s when we’ll see that “guns are the star of the show.” And the incongruity of it all will be clear.

The overall dramatic effect of the intense scenes should be memorable and artistic. Not gratuitous or base. The developers can fall back on the argument that this is our world. Their game is “ripped from the headlines.” But this puts us on a slippery slope toward a lot of things. What about school shootings? What about Christchurch? Do we want to put those in video games because they exist in the real world?

Ghost Pepper

Gaming Guru
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I played a bit of RDR Online today but only till I was done with the intro. It looks better than it did before after they fixed the HDR.

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Conan Exiles is fun, it's sort of B-Movie Barbarian meets Minecraft.

Ghost Pepper

Gaming Guru
SL Rez
SLU Posts

Caete

Scientist Lady of Science
SL Rez
Keanu confirmed. Sadly one year for Cyber Caete and Cyber Ted Wick to run and gun together... ;)

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
Next version of Flight Simulator is...amazing looking.
I thought they abandoned FS. I might want to just block out parts of my 2020 calendar now.