Nobody Cares about TV and Film

bubblesort

I'm watching the old Highlander TV show, because I'm in the mood to binge cheesy old shows.

Highlander vot me thinking, though... Maybe Brazilian Judo killed the action show? I mean, you can debate the effectiveness of this martial art or thst one all day long, and that can be a fun debate, but I'm thinking about what is both credible and cinematic to todays audiences. I don't think we have a martial art that is both cinematic and credible any more. Nowadays, anybody in Highlander's target demographic would laugh at kung fu or even karate. BJJ bros are like weirdo cultusts, and they convinced most of the world their way is the only way. The problem is, judo is just not cinematic on TV and film. Action shows seemed to decline at the same time BJJ took over the world. I hope a more cinematic martial art gets trendy like judo has, because these old action shows are great.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Background: we're awaiting the launch of GB News, which is an attempt to run an explicitly right-wing news and current affairs channel while complying with our rules on accuracy and impartiality/

Anyway, they're hiring, and already have some very good people signed up.*

Nevertheless

*ETA: It would also be fair to say that, on the basis of the UK Press Gazette article, they've hired some stinkers, too.

Last edited:
  • 1LOL
Reactions: bubblesort

Ghost Pepper

Gaming Guru
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Saw first episode of Falcon & Winter Soldier. For a first episode, it kept me interested enough to keep watching.
There hasn't been as much talk about that show as there had been for WandaVision. I haven't watched any of it myself. I probably will wait till a few days before the final episode before I start to watch it.

It is known that they will visit Madripoor at some point in the series. From what I understand they couldn't even use it before due to it being associated with Mutants.

bubblesort

Hell with the Snyder cut of Justice League... I want to see the Justice League Bolly Cut!

The opening is a bit slow, jump to 2 minutes for the fight scene.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Hell with the Snyder cut of Justice League... I want to see the Justice League Bolly Cut!

The opening is a bit slow, jump to 2 minutes for the fight scene.

This is like low-grade cosplay. I've seen much better costumes at conventions.

• 1LOL

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I'm watching the old Highlander TV show, because I'm in the mood to binge cheesy old shows.

Highlander vot me thinking, though... Maybe Brazilian Judo killed the action show?...BJJ bros are like weirdo cultusts, and they convinced most of the world their way is the only way. The problem is, judo is just not cinematic on TV and film. Action shows seemed to decline at the same time BJJ took over the world. I hope a more cinematic martial art gets trendy like judo has, because these old action shows are great.
Do you mean Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu? I know what you mean about its weird cultists, lol. I think a LOT of martial-arts fanboys are that way; in another forum I belonged to there was a person who could not stop talking about "Muay Thai", it defined his whole existence. It's like - dude, hobbies are great things to have but they're not the same thing as having a personality. 😁

• 1Agree

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
In 2019, polarizing YouTuber movie-reviewer Doug "The Nostalgia Critic" Walker created and released a review of Pink Floyd's 1982 musical film The Wall, in the form of a parody recreation complete with songs and animated dance numbers.

If you have seen it, you have my deep sympathy. If you haven't, do not feel like you ever have to watch it.

I do recommend that you watch this video essay about it, though.

• 1Thanks

Isabeau

Merdeuse
I just binged Miss Scarlet and the Duke. One episode left. It aired on PBS last year (and is renewed Yay!) but playing on CBC (and Prime I think) now. I’m a tad embarrassed at liking it so much ☺

It’s a little troppy with the lead female and male who are attracted to each other but don’t want to admit it so they just get on each other’s nerves.

Usually, I hate that, as if it happened in rl, I’d just bonk him over the head and never think of him again but, I guess I’m a product of the society we live in cause it’s working for me. Suddenly, I want to be yelled at by a tall Scottish man. Oh, and It’s set in Victorian London.

• 1LOL

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
We found a directors cut of Solo. There’s a lot of extra footage after the theatrical ending. An older Han meets James Bond and they visit Westworld to track a Predator. I can’t figure out what planet they’re on. Looks like Bellerophon. But that would be crazy.

• 1LOL

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
More Marvel origin stories coming.

• 1Yay!
Reactions: Govi

danielravennest

SLU Posts
More Marvel origin stories coming.

The Ten Rings appeared in the background of the first Iron Man film, and various places since. The fake Mandarin played by Trevor Slattery (Ben Kingsley) was impersonating the real Mandarin who runs the Ten Rings. So they have been a shadowy terrorist organization all along.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Read that "fake mandolin played by Trevor Slattery" and thought "how can he play a fake mandolin?" but now I see the error of my way.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: danielravennest