Nobody Cares about Tech Support

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
FreeNAS is heavily targeted at the Enterprise sector, while OMV is more geared towards SME and private house holds.
I have been both a software developer and a system and network administrator in the enterprise sector for about 40 years now. I am completely comfortable with ZFS. I have no need for anything but NFS and CIFS and maybe iSCSI for file sharing, so all the media features of OMV are irrelevant.

What I am tired of is the hardware side of OPS. Perticularly without an OPS-scale budget and support contracts. I actively don't want to build a system again. Particularly not with the CM4 where I'll have to pick a PCI expansion and a SATA card and a carrier, that's too much frigging research for a way too Heath-Robinson result, and too much chance of the hardware not being available when (not if) one element of the chain fails. It was nice having budget for spare everything and 4 hour guarantee on-site support, but I don't have that any more and don't want to wish I did.

My current FreeNAS system is a refurb HP z series box: I didn't have to buy any extra controllers because it's got plenty of SAS/SATA ports built in, the only hardware wrangling I needed was a passive hotswap SATA shelf. If I was going to build my own open source based NAS on ARM I would go with something like this. But really, I'd rather leave that for someone else.

• 1Like
Reactions: Khamon

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I have a Lenovo Chromebook Duet. I run mobile grid viewer on it, but I would like a more full viewer, and I don't trust the versions of Lumiya that are floating around.
Just a somewhat related note. There may be some learning curve with Lumiya if you used it. It's been a while but years ago, I loaded Lumiya on a Remix Mini, which is a sort of mini Android device designed to be used as a sort of Desktop. It runs Android.

I remeber the controls felt really weird, because it LOOKS sort of like a regular viewer, but it still had all the "Android Quirks". It was just....bigger on a TV instead of a phone.

Clara D.

O.o
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts