Nobody cares about food.

Free

When The Onion asks, I answer.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

I love that there are categories of food which were pretty much invented by humans for humans to eat, but that a lot of people absolutely hate them.

Free

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Struck gold.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
I have got a cultural question for all Americans here. You see, I stumbled today about a Youtuber who made quite a bold statement, which can explain videos like this here, where I could need your valuable feedback on please.

For example this here is supposed to be cooking shepherd's pie, and tons of followers on Facebook, Youtube and Tiktok always do agree with that:

Mistie seems to be genuinely proud about her kitchen work and cooking skills here in her fancy kitchen, and her hubby happily agrees. I mean, why else would she do such a video? For me this is not cooking, but lazily putting way to many stuff together at once and heating it up together into a ghastly, mushy, tasteless hideous grey gooey mess. She's even too lazy to make her own mashed potatoes, instead using instant powder which for me is a no go, and the gazillion of prepared packaged food she's got at her disposal is also not a thing here. Nobody e.g. buys garlic that way in a supermarket here, most people just buy garlic and process it by themself.

I mean this is so wrong on many levels, it gots not even the basics right, which is: first in comes the onions, roast it a little bit to give them flavor, then later in comes the ground beef and so on and on. And some of her ingredients are really looking gross color wise, like her beloved fake orange cheddar or whatever.

But videos like that are legion in the American part of the internet. So coming back to the Youtuber he claimed, that what Mistie and others are doing is actually considered by many Americans as cooking. So my question is: is this true that for many Americans just heating things up together is already considered as proper cooking, or is this guy just telling bullshit?

Also for reference, this is what it looks like when I am making shepherd's pie. I am not saying now that my way is the only or even only proper way to do it, because there is not just one way but many good ways to go for, but what I come up with is a totally different thing to this one pot sensation presented proudly by Mistie, which I never would even bother to try. So this is what I do somewhat expect a proper shepherd's pie to look like. And since I cooked it enough times by myself her video is so wrong for me on too many levels I can count... just like many others.

+

Last edited:

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
I mean this is so wrong on many levels, it gots not even the basics right, which is: first in comes the onions, roast it a little bit to give them flavor, then later in comes the ground beef and so on and on.
Uhhhh .... while that instant mashed potatoes/frozen veggies/crock pot atrocity should be gently but firmly placed in the nearest dumpster, I'm unfamiliar with what sort of beef shepherds tend.

:hellokitty:

And some of her ingredients are really looking gross color wise, like her beloved fake orange cheddar or whatever
We make some rather great cheeses here, including some fine cheddars (without the capital C). That substance, however, is not one of them. :barf:

So my question is: is this true that for many Americans just heating things up together is already considered as proper cooking, or is this guy just telling bullshit?
Just a reminder that we are, after all, the nation that elected an empty-headed, failed game show host to the highest office in the land. If you made a Venn diagram of Felonious 45's supporters and people who think this is "ger-may cookin'," there'd be a big overlap. However, real cooking has made enormous headway here in the past 50 years or so. And, hey, at least she's cooking something (sort of) and not just going to McDonald's.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Free

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Yikes.

A second person has died after drinking Panera's caffeinated "Charged Lemonade" drinks, which contain caffeine levels comparable to strong coffee and are sold in cups as large as 30 fluid ounces that are free to refill.

According to a lawsuit filed by family members Monday, 46-year-old Dennis Brown fell dead on a sidewalk from cardiac arrest while walking home from a Panera in Florida on October 9. Before he left the restaurant, he had ordered a Charged Lemonade and had two refills.

In September, college student Sarah Katz, 21, went into cardiac arrest after drinking a Charged Lemonade from a Panera in Philadelphia. Katz had a heart condition called long QT syndrome type 1 and had avoided energy drinks because of it, according to a lawsuit filed in October by her family.
If I thought about people dying from eating at Panera, I would not have guessed it was because of their drinks.

• 1Dead!

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I'm going to break with the crowd here: I'm not saying that her one-pot shepherd's pie is gourmet or anything; but I think what she's doing - i.e., throwing a bunch of not-the-best ingredients into a pot and cooking them until they're done and eating the result - is probably closer to the original spirit of shepherd's pie or cottage pie than sticking to a particular kind of recipe or prep method. And while those are a European thing, a lot of authentically American dishes are based around a similar concept; for instance, Cajun dishes like jambalaya or gumbo if you want to make them today would seem to have like a specific list of ingredients, but when these dishes were invented by poor settlers they were, effectively, a big stew made of up everything they had access too, including scraps of cooked meat from previously made dishes. There's no other situation where you'll get sausage, chicken, shrimp, and ham all in the same pot.

• 1Agree