Microsoft Edge Review

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
The dev version of this has worked very well for me the last several months. It doesn't not display Neph's 3D images properly. But that's the only issue I've had to date.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I'm so used to Firefox, it is simply not enough to build a look a like of Chrome, to make me change browser.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I'm so used to Firefox, it is simply not enough to build a look a like of Chrome, to make me change browser.
It...doesn't look like Chrome.

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
It...doesn't look like Chrome.
It's worse :p

Besides how tab overflow is handled and better font rendering, another reason I stick with Firefox is the Bookmarks sidebar.

Edge still doesn't support Chrome Themes. Vivaldi lets you set the colors yourself.

Firefox:

Vivaldi (What I'll use if Firefox ever annoys me to the point where I'm willing to give up tab scrolling, which isn't likely)

Edge, with MS's HERPADERP WHITESPACE IS THE NEW COWBELL added on to Chrome's pop-outs.

Chrome, whose devs refuse to implement a proper sidebar:

Download link for those of us that didn't get it via "Automagic Upderps": https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge

Last edited:
  • 2Thanks
Reactions: Sid and Brenda Archer

Ghost Pepper

Gaming Guru
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Chrome for me has been very slow to start up for awhile now whereas I can get the new MS Edge to come up more than twice as fast. The same with the old Edge.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Chrome for me has been very slow to start up for awhile now whereas I can get the new MS Edge to come up more than twice as fast. The same with the old Edge.
If you have a bunch of Chrome extensions, that can make Chrome take longer to start up. Do you have any extensions being loaded in Edge?

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Now to see how long it will take companies to adopt it.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Personally I stick with Vivaldi now... It is a Chrome based resources hog - true. But it is just offers me insanely many control options (tabs in tabs - yay).

• 1Like
Reactions: Clara D.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Personally I stick with Vivaldi now... It is a Chrome based resources hog - true. But it is just offers me insanely many control options (tabs in tabs - yay).
Tabs in tabs? Drool!

I tend to be a taboholic.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Knutz Scorpio

Clara D.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Tabs in tabs? Drool!

I tend to be a taboholic.
Vivaldi's pretty nice -- it's made by old Opera devs.

There's tab stacking and the panel has a "tabs" optiion.

Last edited:

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I think whether or not a manager or C level employee insisted on using Internet Explorer would be a good test as to whether or not they are flexible and willing to change. Can't we just get rid of them?

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Internet Explorer
Bad words! Bad words! I once wrote something. It worked perfectly in every browser except for ie. What do you think I was instructed to do? Yes, remove the code so there would not be a feature out there that ie people could not use.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
After I close down Chrome it launches two processes that are so demanding that my fans spin up. What's with that?

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
I think whether or not a manager or C level employee insisted on using Internet Explorer would be a good test as to whether or not they are flexible and willing to change. Can't we just get rid of them?
It's quite often that such old browser junk still is a necessity in corporate environments, because the in house tools for various stuff are being build for IE.

Clara D.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Bad words! Bad words! I once wrote something. It worked perfectly in every browser except for ie. What do you think I was instructed to do? Yes, remove the code so there would not be a feature out there that ie people could not use.
Back in the Day of Netscape vs IE, I remember litterally half my pages were javascript to account for differences between the two.

• 1Beer
Reactions: Khamon

NyteWytch

What's good, Miley?
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
SLU Posts
That's why this is exciting for devs and enterprise now.

Internet Explorer mode
One of the features available for evaluation is Internet Explorer mode, a feature that integrates IE11 natively into Microsoft Edge. Internet Explorer mode allows users to navigate seamlessly from a modern web application to one that requires legacy HTML or plugins. You’ll no longer need a “two-browser” solution.
We know that most of our customers are using IE11 in their environments. One thing that our customers made clear to us is that their web apps that rely on IE11 tend to be critical to many of their business processes. The apps work well and don’t change, which allows customers to focus their IT resources on other problem areas. Any solution we provide would need to just work with their sites.
The team designed Internet Explorer mode to meet that need, with a goal of 100% compatibility with sites that work today in IE11, including full support for IE’s doc modes, as well as ActiveX controls, like Silverlight and Browser Helper Objects (BHOs). In addition, Internet Explorer mode appears visually like it’s just a part of the next Microsoft Edge, providing users with the latest UI features, like a smarter address bar and new tab page, and greater privacy controls for the modern web.
By leveraging the Enterprise mode site list that many customers have already built and deployed to support the two-browser solution, IT professionals can enable users of the next Microsoft Edge to simply navigate to IE11-dependent sites and they will just work. Navigating back to a modern site will be seamless. No need for a separate window or tab.
For more background on Internet Explorer mode, please check out this video discussing Microsoft Edge enterprise compatibility.
I've switched over to it now as I've been use to using chromium at this point and have extensions that I use.

Clara D.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
That's why this is exciting for devs and enterprise now.

I've switched over to it now as I've been use to using chromium at this point and have extensions that I use.
More geeky details on IE mode and how to get it working: