Microsoft Edge Review

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
32G will have to wait for a completely different computer, I'm limited by hardware (Sandy Bridge and only two slots)
I usually do 24. While 16 would do it is not much more and I like the headroom. My latest laptop was 32 because 24 was not a valid configuration.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Clara D.

Free

Real life NFT
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
By the way, when did 20GB of RAM become a thing on mid-range laptops? Was asked to look at some systems for possible purchases at work, and a lot of the stuff I saw were in 8/12/20 configs.

• 1lolwut?

Clara D.

O.o
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
By the way, when did 20GB of RAM become a thing on mid-range laptops? Was asked to look at some systems for possible purchases at work, and a lot of the stuff I saw were in 8/12/20 configs.
Possible that 4G is soldered on so you can only upgrade one stick, so 4+4,4+8,4+16?

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
16 yes, 32 yes, why would you waste 2 slots on 4 gb?

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Possible that 4G is soldered on so you can only upgrade one stick, so 4+4,4+8,4+16?
Could be but not very efficient. Memory works best when paired.

• 1Agree

Clara D.

O.o
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Could be but not very efficient. Memory works best when paired.
Someones "bright idea" for shaving a few bucks and using up a bunch of old 4G sticks, while allowing the option to have the sheer minimum for W10 (4G+0) pre-installed during manufacturing.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Someones "bright idea" for shaving a few bucks and using up a bunch of old 4G sticks, while allowing the option to have the sheer minimum for W10 (4G+0) pre-installed during manufacturing.
Probably. A single 4 gb stick in a lot is under 10 dollars so no good system designer would do that on purpose.

Clara D.

O.o
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Probably. A single 4 gb stick in a lot is under 10 dollars so no good system designer would do that on purpose.
When bean-counters get their grubby mitts into a design process "less than optimal" things happen.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
When bean-counters get their grubby mitts into a design process "less than optimal" things happen.
Yeah, witness the trashcan mac pro that apple eventually had to reverse course on. Does anyone think a competent designer of a pro machine would do things like a small case? With apple though they seem to be letting the art department run the show.

• 1Agree

danielravennest

SLU Posts
This is why my last three computers have been "built to order". I tell them what parts I want in it, after doing my research.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
This is why my last three computers have been "built to order". I tell them what parts I want in it, after doing my research.
I would love to do that but continually get frustrated by apple. I fell in love with them back in the 70s and did stuff like solder things in to mine that were not part of the original build. They even hired Captain Crunch after his jail term but had to discard the modem he built because it was also a blue box. Probably the only reason Woz himself has not said anything publicly is it his not his style.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
So I use Edge as my main browser and I just went to a site and Edge popped up a little thing saying "hey guess what, we found your login credentials for this site exposed on the Dork Web, you might wanna change that shizzle" and I was like "wow thank you Miss Edge, that's super-helpful" and then I clicked on the button on the prompt and it took me to an Edge settings flyout where it showed the leaked usernames and, when I re-entered my account PIN, the leaked passwords connected to those usernames. It also listed all of the sites that Edge knows of where I use those username/password combinations (I use Edge as my password manager).

This is a newish feature that was added to Edge just a few months ago; you can read more about it here if you are interested.

When you turn on Password Monitor, Microsoft Edge  checks the passwords you’ve saved in the browser against a large database of known leaked passwords that are stored in the cloud. If any of your username-password pairs match those in the database, they'll appear on the Password Monitor page in Microsoft Edge Settings. Any passwords listed there are no longer safe to use and you should change them immediately.

When Password Monitor checks your credentials against the database of known leaked credentials, powerful encryption helps protect your information from being revealed to anyone. Only you know which of your saved passwords are compromised—not even Microsoft knows this.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
So I use Edge as my main browser and I just went to a site and Edge popped up a little thing saying "hey guess what, we found your login credentials for this site exposed on the Dork Web, you might wanna change that shizzle" and I was like "wow thank you Miss Edge, that's super-helpful" and then I clicked on the button on the prompt and it took me to an Edge settings flyout where it showed the leaked usernames and, when I re-entered my account PIN, the leaked passwords connected to those usernames. It also listed all of the sites that Edge knows of where I use those username/password combinations (I use Edge as my password manager).

This is a newish feature that was added to Edge just a few months ago; you can read more about it here if you are interested.
Thanks for the heads up. I use my iPhone for that kind of thing generally, the password manager there keeps track,but it's good to know I can have the same thing on my PC.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
I wish Microsoft wouldn't pop up Edge when I reboot my computer and ask me to switch to their better browser.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
I wish Microsoft wouldn't pop up Edge when I reboot my computer and ask me to switch to their better browser.
I just let it install when it wanted to and then I generally ignore it. You can still use Firefox or whatever as default.

• 1Agree

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts

Chrome warns you of compromised passwords as well. It has for a while.

Edge isn't a bad browser. It's certainly leaps and bounds better than IE had ever been. But what keeps me on Chrome is that it runs on pretty much everything. I don't think there's a Linux version of Edge yet, or if there ever will be.

Chrome also has done some work tackling its memory consumption issues with things like putting tabs to sleep if they haven't been accessed in a while. At work, I have nearly 90 tabs open on three Chrome windows (thank God for tab grouping), and my 8GB computer still doesn't choke on it.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Edge isn't a bad browser. It's certainly leaps and bounds better than IE had ever been. But what keeps me on Chrome is that it runs on pretty much everything. I don't think there's a Linux version of Edge yet, or if there ever will be.
You can run Edge on Wine on linux. I kill me! Edge is Chromium-based now so it's likely as doable as using Google Chrome.