IMPT Let's do the BIG MOVE (Again? No...)

GoblinCampFollower

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
5,898
SL Rez
2007
I have updated the SSL certificate, so stuff link VirtualVerse One Forums should be working fine again now.
I've also noticed the slow down I experienced right after the migration seems to have gotten better. Initially, that is what tipped me off something happened despite looking so similar. I am just curious if you did anything in particular for that? A lot of little things such as pulling up the menu for reactions and actually making posts definitely sped up.

I also noticed the VVO icon in the corner of the chrome tab is back!
 

Khamon

Folk Harpist
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
3,178
Location
Alabama
SL Rez
2003
Joined SLU
2007
I've also noticed the slow down I experienced right after the migration seems to have gotten better. Initially, that is what tipped me off something happened despite looking so similar. I am just curious if you did anything in particular for that? A lot of little things such as pulling up the menu for reactions and actually making posts definitely sped up.

I also noticed the VVO icon in the corner of the chrome tab is back!
Being quite ancient, the speed was not the issue, it was that momentary pause that threw my brain down a spiral of memories waiting for pages to load in the nineties, watching interlaced images resolve, downloading game files in the eighties, my cane just snapped.
 

GoblinCampFollower

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
5,898
SL Rez
2007
Being quite ancient, the speed was not the issue, it was that momentary pause that threw my brain down a spiral of memories waiting for pages to load in the nineties, watching interlaced images resolve, downloading game files in the eighties, my cane just snapped.
LMAO, I'm not THAT young. I remember waiting for my first Internet browsers to load the pixels of an image while I got up to get a drink!

What I noticed was just the CHANGE in speed.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,944
Location
Coonspiracy Central, Noonkkot
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
20780
Kids. I remember downloading pictures at 300 baud as BASIC programs that printed the pictures on a line printer.

Also typing in program listings from BYTE.
 

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
5,488
Location
Columbus, OH
SL Rez
2010
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
42
Kids. I remember downloading pictures at 300 baud as BASIC programs that printed the pictures on a line printer.

Also typing in program listings from BYTE.
I remember writing the fan club and waiting 4-6 weeks to download pictures from the mailbox.
 

GoblinCampFollower

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
5,898
SL Rez
2007
I remember writing the fan club and waiting 4-6 weeks to download pictures from the mailbox.
We need a reaction for old people shit! lol.

You did trigger a memory from when I was a little kid we were made to write fan letters to people we liked as a school assignment. We were even supposed to try to get something back. ...this made it a little awkward. I wrote my favorite Star Wars author but never heard back, lol.
 

Khamon

Folk Harpist
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
3,178
Location
Alabama
SL Rez
2003
Joined SLU
2007
Kids. I remember downloading pictures at 300 baud as BASIC programs that printed the pictures on a line printer.

Also typing in program listings from BYTE.
My first modem was 300baud as well. It had a cushioned cradle to hold the telephone receiver. Was sufficient for mainframe connection so I could enter Assembly assignments then go eat dinner while waiting for the output to flicker across the green screen. I would send a copy to one of the DECWriters in Engineering and pick it up the next day. They would say "oh you're suppose to send this to the system printer and pick it up in the mailroom" (all the way across campus in the basement) and I would say "oh silly me yes whatever keys did my fat fingers accidentally type last night?" Then we would laugh and laugh ha ha ha
 
  • 1Beer
Reactions: Puretone

Noodles

The sequel will probably be better.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,463
Location
Illinois
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
6947
Gawd all you old people, I think we had a 56k modem by the time I was getting on line.
 

Bartholomew Gallacher

Administrator
Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Messages
7,092
SL Rez
2002
Well my first programming book was this. Since my computer was kind of exotic, a Sharp MZ731, I had also to rewrite BASIC sometimes while typing it on the fly.

Funny thing is the editor David H. Ahl is still alive being at age 87. He's also got his own home page, which looks dated but still is updated now and then.


 

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,944
Location
Coonspiracy Central, Noonkkot
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
20780
My introduction to programming was modifying the games in that book to cheat at them... back when they were just random files in a bunch of mainframes and he hadn't collected them into a book yet.
 
  • 1Wow!
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

GoblinCampFollower

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
5,898
SL Rez
2007
Gawd all you old people, I think we had a 56k modem by the time I was getting on line.
I think we previously determined I'm slightly younger than you (I'm 40), but I got partly online very young. I remember when 56K was an upgrade! lol.
 

Myradyl Muse

Mermaid Myradyl Muse
Joined
Feb 22, 2019
Messages
489
Location
At Sea in the great Canadian North
SL Rez
2003
The tough part was getting those clay tablets through the mail slot.
Ahem, so I better not mention the smoke signals I'm still trying to jam into that slot and AOL online dialup with Commodore 64 'let's wait for 7 hours then get disconnected and never be able to use the phone again, why is your phone always a busy signal???!'
:eek::geek::banghead::whistle: